Has Carnival ever changed your room

BamaLady#13

The only cabin available near my desired location was an accomodation for three. There are only two of us. My travel agent was able to book the cabin but told me there is a possibility that I could be moved to a cabin for two if someone else needed a cabin for three. Have you ever been moved?

It's going to depend on a few things.

Time of your cruise and how popular the sailing is.

Highly likely to be moved during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Less likely second week in January.

I know that under the contract they can do this, but I don't know how they determine when to do this- if I book my cabin a year ahead of time and then the cruise fills up so that there are only a handful of two person cabins left and someone wants a three person cabin at the last minute do they really get rewarded with a prime cabin and I get penalized for choosing my cabin early? I do know that when I've looked at cruises online it will tell me when there are no cabins available for the number in my party, so if I call up and ask if anyone is booked two in a cabin that holds 3 or 4 people and ask for them to be moved to make room for my party? It all seems kind of arbitrary.

I know that under the contract they can do this, but I don't know how they determine when to do this- if I book my cabin a year ahead of time and then the cruise fills up so that there are only a handful of two person cabins left and someone wants a three person cabin at the last minute do they really get rewarded with a prime cabin and I get penalized for choosing my cabin early? I do know that when I've looked at cruises online it will tell me when there are no cabins available for the number in my party, so if I call up and ask if anyone is booked two in a cabin that holds 3 or 4 people and ask for them to be moved to make room for my party? It all seems kind of arbitrary.

I agree. We only book 2 person cabins because we only have 2 people and I don't want to take the risk, but I feel like I would be kinda ticked off if I booked early, had that cabin for a long time and then right before the cruise someone decided last minute they wanted it. I mean I know it can happen, but does it really happen?? I mean for special needs yes absolutely I understand but just for an extra person? Seems kinda controversial to me!

Yes I have had a room changed when there were two of us in a three person cabin, but I knew and fully expected it to happen. I was also offered an HC suite upsell at the last minute on another cruise which I took.

I can't cite every single example of why this could happen and why you are advised you could possibly be moved, but I can cite a realistic scenario.

If you managed to book 2 people in a triple/quad cabin, the sailing you booked is most likely during an off season time of year and the cruise line removed what's called the "occupancy restrictions" on that sailing. They know that historically the ship will sell far from full capacity and will allow you to underbook a cabin (AKA "spoilage.")

You booked one of these off season sailings (September - Early December or hurricane season) in January and chose a quad occupancy midship balcony cabin on deck 7 starboard. Come April or May, due to stronger than anticipated demand your sailing is now selling individual bookings at a better than expected pace. The cruiseline then reinstates the occupancy restriction but this probably won't affect you and you will still be in your underbooked cabin and not be bumped.

Come late May or June the cruise line gets a call from a T/A for a large group of 150 that needs 40 balcony cabins primarily needing triple and quad occupancy cabins and that large group wants balcony cabins closeby each other on deck 7. They have their deposits ready to be paid and are ready to book. The cruise line will not turn down this business. At this point the creuiseline's Group Department will look at the best way to accommodate this groups request, and if it means taking your underbooked starboard side balcony cabin and moving you 2 or 3 doors down to a double occupancy cabin or moving you to a deck 7 midship double occupancy cabin on the port side, you will be bumped and notified.

If however your sailing kept it's No Occupancy Restriction status right up until final payment date, a last minute "one cabin" booking request for a triple/quad would not result in you being bumped.

Edited by AdGuyMG

On my last cruise we added a person at the last minute and got a BL that held 4, even though there was only 3 of us. We were told that we may get bumped due to the passenger number required for that room. Lucky for us, if we got bumped the only rooms that were showing on most of the cruise websites were Spa Balconies and Suites. Needless to say we didn't get bumped, and enjoyed the room.

On the ships that have a category 6K, one of the cabins is designated for four and the other is for two occupants. I made sure I booked the cabin for two so as not to get "upgraded" out of the room.

Edited by tncap

...I am worried.

I am a first timer -- and booked a cruise for next year (already paid in full). My daughter and I selected an aft wrap balcony, which I have now learned can accommodate 3 people. We took this so that we could be near other family on that deck in an interior room. Now I am afraid that we will be bumped, since all the aft wraps are sold out -- and the cost of the interior room booked for others has climbed over $300 in price. I wanted the bigger balcony so that our whole group could hang out together without feeling cramped. Are we at risk?

Thanks for any insite that can be given...

...I am worried.

I am a first timer -- and booked a cruise for next year (already paid in full). My daughter and I selected an aft wrap balcony, which I have now learned can accommodate 3 people. We took this so that we could be near other family on that deck in an interior room. Now I am afraid that we will be bumped, since all the aft wraps are sold out -- and the cost of the interior room booked for others has climbed over $300 in price. I wanted the bigger balcony so that our whole group could hang out together without feeling cramped. Are we at risk?

Thanks for any insite that can be given...

Not to worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet, or is very unlikely to happen. In 18 Carnival cruises, I have been called for an upsell offer once, never offered a free upgrade, and they only attempted to change my cabin once, under the guise of an upgrade.

I had my usual 1A Verandah Deck inside cabin and while I was flying into Miami, Carnival called my home, spoke to my cleaning lady and claimed my cleaning lady approved a change to a porthole on the lowest deck in the very 1st cabin forward. I needed 2 supervisors in the VIP lounge before my original cabin booking was restored. Carnival said because I was solo, they wanted to give my cabin to a couple with a child, and that I would be happier with the porthole. Really!

You have a wonderful aft cabin, it is highly unlikely Carnival will bump you, really nothing to be fretful about.

Several years ago my wife and I sailed on the Carnival Miracle. We had booked our room approximatley one year in advance and it was fuly paid for. We arrived at the cruise port and was told at the check in desk that we were in for a bonus. Carnival had upgraded us, at no additonal cost. When I asked to see the room layout before we accepted the change, the Carnival Representative's attitude changed and she called over a "Supervisor" who again made a "happy face" and informed us of our upgrade.

We found that far from being an upgrade, we were moved to a room with a "higher class designation " but it was under the pool area, in the rear of the ship and very oddly shaped.

We refused the upgrade, but were told we had no choice.

I refused to move from the check in line, and the supervisor threatened to have my wife and I arrested. My wife and I stood our ground, and a senior representative came over, apologized and restored our previously booked room.

Needless to say the "supervisor" who had given us so much trouble was fuming.

As they said in the Trojan War, "...Before Greeks or Carnival Bearing Gifts."

On our CCL cruise last year and our upcoming 2016 I booked aft wraps on both but the ones on decks that have these cabins that only hold 2 people. Valor deck 7 port aft and Dream deck 7 port aft. I don't think I'd ever book anything other than these because they ROCK!

I've been in insides, OV, balconies for up to 4 people as a solo and never got moved. Also had some accessible cabins and didn't get moved.

Just for fun I've asked many times if a suite is available when I check in and I'm always told "We sail full."

There have been posts about others who have been surprised so it does happen.

I've been in insides, OV, balconies for up to 4 people as a solo and never got moved. Also had some accessible cabins and didn't get moved.

Just for fun I've asked many times if a suite is available when I check in and I'm always told "We sail full."

There have been posts about others who have been surprised so it does happen.

I think if the policies of any cruise line was to just give away any unsold suite or other premium accommodations on embarkation day on a first come first served basis, the lines at 5AM at the cruise terminal would look like Black Friday morning at the mall.

Not to mention the scene inside the terminal once the doors opened.

Edited by AdGuyMG

Not on a cruise..but once I got upgraded to the Alii Tower in a full suite looking over all of Waikiki at the Hilton Waikiki ... They had overbooked and it was earned pts to boot for the 3 day reservation before Maui travels. Now i did not get the adjoining rooms ..just the suite living room and full bath with tv and phone..LOL.. and Lanai larger than my apt living room..rot iron furniture galore..white glove service. NO book of amenities..you call..

When you are traveling alone and they goof..big things can happen. All I did was check in exhausted from run-around flight. They said we seem to have an overbooking..do we have a surprise for you.

Now older..I may have peeped about needing a real bed as I did have a fold out...but oh my..I still look at those pictures in awe. The tower had it's own pool, spa, everything in the complex and the beach there is/was wonderful.

Wouldn't you know ahead of time if you were going to be moved? Wouldn't they know well before you arrive at the ship? I just realized I'm booked in a 4 person stateroom and there is only 2 of us. Why would the website let me choose that room? It was actually highlighted for me to pick when I was booking :-/

Concerned ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't you know ahead of time if you were going to be moved? Wouldn't they know well before you arrive at the ship? I just realized I'm booked in a 4 person stateroom and there is only 2 of us. Why would the website let me choose that room? It was actually highlighted for me to pick when I was booking :-/

Concerned ...

The fine print says they can...but they open up bookings like yours with less to the cabin all the time depending on how the ship is filling up...it is VERY RARE to get changed without knowing and not beforehand...info from my reading here.

Sarah

We are now down to final payment week and there are still lots of unsold balcony rooms. I just did a mock booking for a balcony for two in my category and discovered that out of the 35 balconys left, over half are designated as triples. There are also 30 which are designated as occupancy for three. To be exact, 17 were listed as both two or three. Apparently this means that carnival has lifted any restrictions on cabins previously only available for three. I've decided that I will keep my triple cabin for the two of us. The odds of us being moved seem to be pretty low. Thanks for all the good advice.

Well, I changed my room and now I'm on the Lido deck in a balcony, it's for 3 people but I figure I have less of a chance to get moved out of there than if I was still in my 4 person cabin :-/

YES... We booked a 4 person cabin to be near the other 3 cabins we were cruising with and was told up front by our PVP that because there were only 3 of us in the cabin, we could/might get moved...

And YES, 2 weeks before the cruise, we got a call telling us that they had to move us because a party of 4 needed our cabin... this btw was on the Carnival Ecstasy, and because they were right in the middle of my family, we even got to meet them :) All was good....

We got lucky and were moved to a cabin 5 away from the other 3 cabins but it does and can happen...

In addition, I can also tell you that when my parents booked their Breeze cruise 2 weeks prior to sailing, they got a Handicap cabin (because they need one) that was originally booked by passengers that didn't need it and they got moved... We know that 2 ways.. the first one is that my PVP put me on hold to call Special Needs to see if that couple had the correct paperwork needed on file for a handicap cabin (they did not) and because when my parents entered the cabin, the other couples free drink coupons were on the desk !!!

Edited by Elaine515

Don't take this wrong but why book a cabin for more than what's in your party? In most cases, the cabins that hold more than two are located right next to ones that hold only two.

Not always possible with some sailings. For example, the Pride Repo next March had 2 people OVs sold out for over 4 months and balconies for 2 also sold out several weeks ago. Just last week, they opened the available 3 and 4 berth OVs and balconies for booking by 2 passengers (all regular balconies are sold out - just the extended and obstructed left). This cruise is still almost 7 months away and not many staterooms left.

In the case above, highly doubtful people will be moved due to under capacity. Where would they move them to?