Beverage Packages vs. A la Carte?

Mboen

I noticed Marina (we'll be on it in a couple of months) offers a couple of beverage packages: one for drinks to be served at meals, and a more pricy one for drinks other times.

Do you all know how those compare to the a la carte prices on the ship?

Thanks in advance.

We took our first Oceania cruise last year on the Riviera and loved it. We did purchase the Prestige Package and are glad that we did -- even if we did not save money by doing so. I'm sure that someone will post prices, but, as I recall, wine was in the area of $8/glass and martinis (very small unless you are in the Martinis lounge) were $10.

I probably had two double martinis a day (equal to two regular martinis in a typical restaurant or bar) so that would be $40 plus 18% tip. Then we had wine at dinner. So, we probably would have spent to close to the $60/day that it cost for the package.

The main reason for us purchasing the alcohol package was so that we didn't have to think about what we were drinking or sign anything. For instance, at dinner, we like the wine glass to be topped up until we no longer want any more. If we were purchasing wine, maybe after two glasses we'd like just a bit more -- not a whole glass. This was easily accommodated because we had the package.

On our next Oceania cruise we will be in one of the large suites that provide alcohol and wine in the suite. We still purchased the package because we do not drink in the suite (unless we had guests). We prefer to have our drinks in a lounge or at dinner.

Anyway, everyone has their own reasons for deciding to purchase a package - or not. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I'm curious as to how they deal with a situation in which one person has the premium package and the other doesn't. If we drink exactly the amount we had on a recent 16 day Regent cruise (where drinks are included in the fare), the premium package would be marginal for one of us (About five drinks per day seems to be the break even point), and would need more drinking than the other one of us did. As for drinks not at meals, not including those at Captain's receptions, we probably had a total of six drinks between the two of us during our 16 day Regent cruise. For the "lesser" drinker, Premium sounds about $20 to $25 per day too much, even at Oceania prices.

Any thoughts?

One of you can get the prestige package and the other can do 'pay as you go' - unusual I know as most cruise lines expect both of you to take the same package. We found the prestige package was excellent on our recent cruise on Insignia - wish we had bought onboard though as the exchange rate is vey much in our favour at the moment :)

I'm curious as to how they deal with a situation in which one person has the premium package and the other doesn't. If we drink exactly the amount we had on a recent 16 day Regent cruise (where drinks are included in the fare), the premium package would be marginal for one of us (About five drinks per day seems to be the break even point), and would need more drinking than the other one of us did. As for drinks not at meals, not including those at Captain's receptions, we probably had a total of six drinks between the two of us during our 16 day Regent cruise. For the "lesser" drinker, Premium sounds about $20 to $25 per day too much, even at Oceania prices.

Any thoughts?

The Packages are sold per person, and Oceania is fine with one person of a couple buying in and the other not.

In such a situation, of course, Sharing is not an option.

Thoughts on how they handle one pax having the package and the other not?

You both present your World cards. The staff can tell if a beverage package is attached to the card. if there is no package then that person wii have the price of the drink charged to the shipboard account. the other person with the package will not be charged

O does not require both pax in the same stateroom to purchase the drinks package. They trust we will not cheat and buy drinks on a package for other pax

Other than the card handling it is the same process

Or value?

Depends on how much you drink, what you drink, how much time you'll be off ship, if you value the more 'all in' experience; prefer to have a known cost; prefer better wines you can order by the bottle vs. the daily choice; etc; etc.

If you add it up and it does not work for one of you the other can certainly buy the package, or not. Unlike lines where drinks are included here you have the option.

Any thoughts?

You are totally right. We did the Prestige package on Riviera last year, and I would say five drinks is about the break-even point. Too much for me, even then. I would not do it again, personally. For my husband, it works. I'm not a teetotaller, but I am now closer--one drink a day would probably be my norm on a cruise, possibly two. Somehow it feels different than just being served drinks whenever on Regent, even though the cost is probably about the same once you add the extras on to the O fares.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Oceania charges a lot for things that are not included. A bud and vodka drink was about 18$ , two glasses of cheap sparkling wine was ,25$, you be the judge

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

$18 for a beer... and a vodka seems reasonable and what most hotels and bars I have seen charge except for happy hour......

Now even those prices, It was my experience that the all you can drink package ceases to be a value at about 18-20 days. At that point I found, and others with me found that we simply could not tolerate drinking on steady daily rate, day after date.

I can see for 7 to 12 or 14 days in might well be a value...but as said, the longer you cruise the less you will drink over the long run.

Too, depending on your physical condition, health and metabolism, you may not be able to break even before your body has a serious conversation with you... The question needs to be addressed, just how long can one hold up to a regime of 6 to 8 drinks a day when medical science tells us that over 4 drinks for a healthy male is not all that good and 6 drinks is well...not wise

As An example, auditing my last cruise of 34 days, for fun, I found that during the first 2 weeks daily liquor consumption averaged about$68 a day. On the 3rd week the average went to $46pp. The 4 th week that fell to $43. and on the 5 th week it was down to about $35.pp Again, this is based on the standard prices charged on the ship.

Before you have to make a decision... think this through beyond the dollars saved...

Wow - if those are typical drink prices in Hawaii, I won't be going there any time soon. I suppose it depends upon the type of vodka drink (whether it is "house" or "call" vodka) and if you are drinking a local, craft or foreign beer.

If the prices have not gone up, if you simply order a vodka martini on the ship it is $10 (but, again, much smaller than we would get in a hotel or restaurant). If I ordered a "house" vodka martini it would be $6-8 at a restaurant on the bay. A "call" vodka martini is around $10. We live in "beer country" and a pint of the best craft or international beer runs from $3.75 - $6.00 a pint. So, now that I have broken it down, $18.00 isn't as bad as I thought:)

You have a good point about longer cruises. I suppose it depends upon the person. We just returned from a 28 night cruise and did not find our alcohol consumption changed during that time. On a cruise we tend to drink a lot more wine than at home. This is partially due to the multi-course, long dinners - usually with other people. If I had to guess, we probably have 4-5 glasses of wine each over the course of two hours. (not full glasses:-). That would be rather pricey on a ship without the package.

As I am almost, but not yet retired, my cruise length max up to now has been 15 days. When I am able to take longer cruises my big concern will be too much enjoyment of Oceania's wonderful food options over several weeks-- my case more of a problem than alchohol consumption.

Wow - if those are typical drink prices in Hawaii, I won't be going there any time soon. I suppose it depends upon the type of vodka drink (whether it is "house" or "call" vodka) and if you are drinking a local, craft or foreign beer.

If the prices have not gone up, if you simply order a vodka martini on the ship it is $10 (but, again, much smaller than we would get in a hotel or restaurant). If I ordered a "house" vodka martini it would be $6-8 at a restaurant on the bay. A "call" vodka martini is around $10. We live in "beer country" and a pint of the best craft or international beer runs from $3.75 - $6.00 a pint. So, now that I have broken it down, $18.00 isn't as bad as I thought:)

Jackie;

You are extremely fortunate to live in an area where the forces of greed( and politics) have not yet determined that you should double what you pay today for your libations. As to Hawaii, it all depends on where you dine and on what island. On Oahu, especially in areas like Waikiki, you will find New York style pricing. Why? Because they can. Other islands, not so much as they tend to be more laid back. Please don't let that deter you from visiting a true paradise. Great fish ( most of which you won't find outside of Hawaii), friendly people, beautiful weather (best on the planet). Come and enjoy the aloha but don't just go to Oahu and Waikiki. See Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island ( Hawaii).Each is different with it's own charms. You have not seen the world until you have been to The Islands of Aloha! E Komo Ma'i!

The $18 for a beer and a vodka were not Hawaii prices...they were what I paid last month in Arizona, California and Nevada staying at hotels that ranged from best western to Marriott's

The price for a budwiser was about $6.50 without tip make that $7.50 Craft beer was$ 8-10

And a regular bar stock ( no call) vodka ran $9.00 with tip $10. and in Vegas it ran $12.50 for bar stock !!!

After living in Hawaii, I found the drinks in Hawaii cheaper as I did the gasoline. Fish, its interesting to note is mostly flown in from Thailand, Chile and California and Alaska. Despite its island nature Hawaii has no real fishing industry.. most fish comes outside the state. Much of that Mahi Mahi your bitting into comes from Thailand !!! This makes fish in Hawaii some of the most expensive anywhere Local fish Ono, Ahi and Marlin is about all the local stuff.

I agree on Oahu as being LA with pineapples.....and the Big Island the most "real" in terms of people and experience.. nothing on Hawaii ( the island over 6 stories... with most around 3 to 4.

I now happlly left Hawaii last month for the mountains of California....

Dan;

You're right about the Thai imports.I've seen it myself being unloaded at the Moana Surfrider on O'ahu. There is, let's call it a boutique, fishing industry on the neighbor islands and the restaurants and fishmongers on Maui that only purvey local caught fish is where I go. Can't beat Hawai'ian waters Paka and Onaga!

When we take the package SWMBO usually has a glass or two of champagne during the day, a martini before dinner, wine with dinner, and a drink or two during the evening. My consumption is more geared to (a couple fewer but more expensive) single malt scotches and maybe a glass of wine with dinner. Our bill would easily exceed the $60 pp/pd so in that respect it's a good deal.

When we don't take the package we generally bring vodka, Scotch, and maybe some wine/champagne aboard and buy drinks from the ship mostly at Happy Hour and in the dining room (wine). We tend to drink slightly (but not appreciably) less and save at least 50% of what we'd spend on the package since I can buy a good 750 ml bottle of Scotch (about 10 drinks) for $6-7 per drink instead of the $10-20 plus tip they charge on board and vodka for much less (maybe $3 per drink vice $8-12 plus tip on board).

Bottom line: It all depends on your social preferences, financial attitude, and drinking habits and they don't have to be the same on every cruise

Edited by Ka Honu

Needed a break from Hawaii and the political turmoil and cultural/social problems inherent. ( picture Chicago politicians running an indian reservation)

Looks like Joshua Tree NP and preserve.... nice climate, no humidity and friendly folks... and its not a $700 , 11 hour plane ride to go anywhere!

Just spent a 8 day" cruise" down through the grand canyon.... Think my next cruises will be down the Yampa. Green, Cataract Canyon and Snake, as I have run out of ocean ports.

Glad to see your up and kicking..... remember any day you can complain is a good day

Ranger Dan

Needed a break from Hawaii and the political turmoil and cultural/social problems inherent. ( picture Chicago politicians running an indian reservation)

Looks like Joshua Tree NP and preserve.... nice climate, no humidity and friendly folks... and its not a $700 , 11 hour plane ride to go anywhere!

Random things: Re post #15 - Gasoline is much more - not less - expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland.

As to "...political turmoil and cultural/social problems inherent" in Hawaii, not sure what turmoil there is here other than what is seen everywhere, but after having been born, raised and spent over fifty years in Southern California, we cannot say it is a better place to live.

Less than $400. will get you a non-stop flight to the mainland in just over five hours.

We do not care for the wine selections by the glass and drink at most one or two cocktails per day, so the beverage packages make no sense for us. We bring a bottle or two, buy some onshore, or just order what we like off of the wine list. We miss the discontinued discount wine bottles program,

We do not care for the wine selections by the glass and drink at most one or two cocktails per day, so the beverage packages make no sense for us. We bring a bottle or two, buy some onshore, or just order what we like off of the wine list. We miss the discontinued discount wine bottles program,

Like you we did not really enjoy most of the wines by the glass (one was very nice but they ran out so it seems we were not alone in thinking it was pretty good). Others have reported otherwise and thought they were quite good so I think, besides personal preferences in taste and style, it also comes down to YMMV depending on the choices offered on any particular sailing.

Because of our previous by the glass experience we thought we would possibly go back to the wine bottle packages and the sort of fun, 'wine bazzar' sale of clear-out-the-cellar bottles. But if they have now cancelled that program we'll maybe pick up a few special bottles in port, something we liked to do in any case.

It seems like cancelling that program is a gentle push to support sales of the beverage package. I am not knocking their beverage package and like that it is now one of the options on O but disappointed they have pulled a different option.