St. Petersburg Safety?

suni

With all the turmoil this week in Russia, do you think that the cruise lines may divert from Russian ports? We are doing this trip in September and I am curious to see how this plays out.

St. Petersburg is thousands of miles away from the Ukraine. I'm sure there will be no issues with visiting St. Petersburg. It's like something happening in New York affecting the west coast.

With all the turmoil this week in Russia, do you think that the cruise lines may divert from Russian ports? We are doing this trip in September and I am curious to see how this plays out.

suni - we are booked on a cruise leaving August 2nd which visits St. Petersburg. I have made a few calls to determine what might possibly happen with the port or the cruise, but have yet to receive anything definitive, other than if there is some sort of decision by the US against Russia, then the cruise would either visit other ports or remain at sea.

The OP asked if St. Petersburg is safe to visit. All the discussion about protests/statements/politics are not relevant to that question. IMHO, St. Petersburg will be safe to visit. Again, IMO, all the other discussion has no place on this thread or on this board.

Re the popularity of St. Petersburg as a destination, I've been researching available cruises that our Danish friends might like to take with us. I really was looking for the "North Atlantic" but when you go to O's website the choice is "Northern Europe and Scandinavia". Click on that and you get tons of itineraries that include the Baltic and just about all of them include St. P.

I'm sure O is not alone in this. So if things continue to escalate, cruise lines may be searching for other options.

There are plenty of us who chose not to send our dollars to Russia under the current circumstances. However, unless the U.S. bans tourism to Russia the way they ban travel to some other countries, your cruise should be safe. And I think you would be, too.

Just guessing.

Mura

suni - we are booked on a cruise leaving August 2nd which visits St. Petersburg. I have made a few calls to determine what might possibly happen with the port or the cruise, but have yet to receive anything definitive, other than if there is some sort of decision by the US against Russia, then the cruise would either visit other ports or remain at sea.

Thank you! That is what I have assumed. I am hesitant to pay for anything in advance at some of the ports and am happy that the tour companies don't require payment up front. I have purchased tickets for many venues in London and feel safe in doing so. Regardless of what happens, this is going to be an incredible journey.

First of all the war is not thousands of miles away (as someone mentioned above) - it's about 950 miles (which is still a very safe distance). St Petersburg is safe - the only stopping point for travelers is a moral issue (do you want your funds going into Russia?) and possibly a political issue (if the White House calls off limits to American citizens visiting SPB and additional sanctions are added).

• 4 weeks later...

Admittedly I'm not American, but can't see how any current troubles would mean changes to stops, particularly for SPB. Would be more a case of people no longer wanting to stop at SPB or have their money go to SPB/Russia as people have said.

Having just returned from a Marina cruise including some nights in SPB, I'm very glad it stopped there. Had a fantastic (independently arranged) tour, and was so glad to go. Lovely city and friendly people :)

IW x

We took O excursions both days, and met others who took private tours. Everyone enjoyed their trips, and we at no time were uneasy or heard of anyone with problems. Tour guides avoid any discussion of the current political climate.

We have just returned from a Regent cruise ......no problems in St Petersburg.

We were berthed at a new cruise terminal approx 20 mins drive and immigration control was not too terrible!

Enjoyed the heatwave although the excellent Russian folk evening would have been more comfortable with some air conditioning!!

We took O excursions both days, and met others who took private tours. Everyone enjoyed their trips, and we at no time were uneasy or heard of anyone with problems. Tour guides avoid any discussion of the current political climate.

I'm certain that, by and large, you are correct about the reticence of tour guides.

However, in July we hired a private guide who, for personal reasons, shared his views with us. We enjoyed his candour and, perhaps, his courage.

We just returned from a cruise to SPB, and there were NO issues about safety, other than the obligatory pick-pocket warnings. And some of the guides were very candid in their opinion of Putin. I was concerned about many of the same things, but I found I worried over nothing.

Regent just eliminated St Pete from its June 6,15 cruise..

Jancruz1

I wonder why? Unlike Israel, it cannot be for safety reasons - must be political. Or is it because those cruises don't sell well?

Does Oceania plan to do the same for their 2015 summer cruises?

Edited by Paulchili

I wonder why? Unlike Israel, it cannot be for safety reasons - must be political. Or is it because those cruises don't sell well?

Does Oceania plan to do the same for their 2015 summer cruises?

The rest of Regent's June'15 cruises all stop in SPB for 3 days. Their July'15 cruises also all have Russia stops (some Murmansk, some SPB). Itineraries change for numerous reasons that have nothing to do with politics.

The rest of Regent's June'15 cruises all stop in SPB for 3 days. Their July'15 cruises also all have Russia stops (some Murmansk, some SPB). Itineraries change for numerous reasons that have nothing to do with politics.

Good to know as we are planning to do the Baltics, including SPB, with the family next year.

It will be their first cruise and I would hate for them to miss SPB.

Itineraries change for numerous reasons that have nothing to do with politics.

Actually, that is not my experience at all.

In the past, when itineraries were changed before sailing it was mostly for political/safety issues such as it would be the case with Israel, Egypt, Libya, etc.

Occasionally itineraries are changed during the voyage due to weather and sea conditions but we are not talking about this being the case here with Regent for June 2015.

I would like to know why SPB was dropped.

Jancruz1 - any idea?

Actually, that is not my experience at all.

In the past, when itineraries were changed before sailing it was mostly for political/safety issues such as it would be the case with Israel, Egypt, Libya, etc.

Occasionally itineraries are changed during the voyage due to weather and sea conditions but we are not talking about this being the case here with Regent for June 2015.

I would like to know why SPB was dropped.

Jancruz1 - any idea?

Sorry Paul I have no idea..I have a friend booked on there and saw the new itin completely changed..only first port and last port remained the same..I was surprised myself..

Jancruz1