St. Thomas jewelry stores

beshears

OK, before anyone SHOOTS me, yes, I went to the st. Thomas forum and ask this question, but I thought someone may see my question here, before they would go there.

If you have bought any nice jewelry in St. Thomas within the past 6 months to a year, and were pleased with what you bought, what was the name of the place, and where was it located?

OK, before anyone SHOOTS me, yes, I went to the st. Thomas forum and ask this question, but I thought someone may see my question here, before they would go there.

If you have bought any nice jewelry in St. Thomas within the past 6 months to a year, and were pleased with what you bought, what was the name of the place, and where was it located?

Disclaimer: just my opinion.

I would not buy expensive jewelry during a cruise, despite what the "port shopping guide" (i.e. paid shill) on board tells you. Once you've been to a few of these port information presentations, you may see what I mean. The presentations are often just store/product sales pitches, with little to no general information on the port itself (e.g. non-shopping attractions, history of the port, etc.).

There are enough stories of people being lied to or ripped off by the jewelry stores in Caribbean ports that I would not trust them. I also would not trust the ones backed by a "cruise line guarantee" because I don't think the pricing is really that special. Once you start haggling, the stores always seem to be able to provide some "incredible" pricing that keeps dropping as you drive a harder bargain. All the reps carry calculators and play with numbers constantly to get you to buy on impulse.

They do have some seemingly unique designs that some people might like, but I have also found reports of product quality issues and subsequent customer service problems from online research into some of the brands.

If you must buy, then stick to the stores promoted by the port shopping guide due to the cruise line guarantee, that at least might give you some avenue for problem resolution to fall back on (read all the fine print first). Otherwise you may find that you paid for diamonds and got cubic zirconia instead. They know it's very difficult, if not impossible, for you to go after them if you're a cruise ship passenger. Others have learned this the hard way.

Imperial Jewelers

Cardow Jewelers

Edited by Merion_Mom

Diamonds International, Good discounts on jewellery, not so much on watches. Always consider if there is a problem RCCL will help resolve the issue. Also they part exchange if you want to upgrade.

Use the shopping advisors if you can to negotiate for you.

I know the stores and employees depend on sales to make a living. Having said that, unless you find something that unbelievable/unique and you CANNOT LIVE WITH OUT IT, and then it might be a good buy for you. Other than that, you can find better deals at local home town jewelry store, that you know the owners and yes actually trust them. KNOW YOUR PRICES if you are looking at a particular style or piece. Remember gold price is a standard that is the same all over the planet, if it is too cheap run Forest run. Also, quality watches from authorized dealers in Rolex and others are price fixed by Rolex etc. If they sell below price they might not be a Rolex dealer very long.

yes, on rare occasions we have bought jewelry in the Islands.

I bought a blue/white diamond ring at Omni Jewelers. Got it home and took it to my regular jeweler and he appraised it for 1600 more than I paid for it.

Very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We purchased an omega, two pendants & a new bridal setting for our 30th anniversary and were thrilled with the service we received from Anita at Imperial Jewelers http://www.imperial-jewelers.com/ The family also owns a silver shop up stairs. I will be checking out the upstairs this year. I would be weary of Jewelers that you didn't get as a recommendation from a cruiser that has experience buying jewelry in St Thomas and personally avoid RCL recommended shops as I prefer the savings instead of giving RCL a cut.

Imperial Jewelers

Cardow Jewelers

I've had very good luck with Cardow. I didn't buy any 3 carat diamonds, but did buy emerald earrings, another time an emerald pendant, and various other pretty pieces or jewelry.

You're always taking a chance buying anything of value when traveling, but if you stick with established merchants, and really pay attention to what you're doing, you should be happy with your purchase.

All of my items appraised at what I paid and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for your informative information, in regards to who you would recommend that I might check out as good jewelry dealers in St. Thomas. Yes I am always leery, but when I find people recommending jewelers, that is a plus for me.

Someone ask/mentioned that I should check in the St. Thomas area also, and this I did, but have not had any response from that as yet.

• 4 months later...
Thank you everyone for your informative information, in regards to who you would recommend that I might check out as good jewelry dealers in St. Thomas. Yes I am always leery, but when I find people recommending jewelers, that is a plus for me.

Someone ask/mentioned that I should check in the St. Thomas area also, and this I did, but have not had any response from that as yet.

The shopping guide on Royal Princess was my "best" friend on ship...haha.

he highly recommended International....I thought I trusted both of them....but when my insurance appraisal came back thousands of dollars less...princess did not respond to my complaint. Int'l finally settled with me with 1,000 refund.

Buyer beware!

Please don't think an appraisal higher than what you paid means you got a bargain. Appraisals really don't mean much and never think that an insurance company would pay that amount if you had a claim. Insurance companies can replace a list item for a fraction of the appraised value

If you like it buy it but don't think for a minute your getting a bargain

I had a loose stone set in St Thomas at Ajanta Jewelers. Very pleased with their pricing.

That being said, I don't think there were better deals there than what I would get at home at Shane Co or the other big diamond store in the city. If I were going to buy a very expensive piece in St Thomas, I'd be darn sure I know how much it costs at home first to know if I am getting a good deal or not.

My husband bought me a tanzanite and diamond pendant from Little Switzerland in St. Thomas. Our appraisal came back just under half of what the area manager Dilip told us it was worth. We would certainly not have purchased the item if we'd known, luckily we have probably just broke even on what we paid.

We were duped into buying a piece which was not worth what we were told.

Have emailed a few times .... A couple of responses after resending the mail....was promised a proper assessment but still waiting... Mailed customer services and they haven't even bothered responding

As a new cruiser I am completely befuddled by the idea of dropping loads of money buying jewelry in a cruise port (or on a cruise ship). I'm sure there is some economic reality that made this a thing (gemstones are light cargo?) but I'm pretty sure it's not a "deal".

Edited by AdoraBelle

We have shopped with Ballerina in St. Thomas for 20 years and have been very happy. Very unique pieces that I get lots of compliments on. They have many repeat customers -- in fact, I always see people buying Ballerina but looking at other stores. We usually deal with the owner, James Mirpuri, the owner. They have a second store in St. Thomas and 2 or 3 more in St. Maarten including one on the pier.

They were a recommended store for a few months in the 1990's but soon dropped that designation. They thrive on word of mouth.

St Thomas was the first duty free port back in the 1960s so luxury goods were definitely much cheaper in the VI than in the states. Duty has been dropped or lowered on many items since then so St Thomas has lost its competitive price advantage for the most part, but the reputation still remains.

Since many couples tend to vacation together, jewelry is a popular "souvenir", because couples rarely take the time to shop together for personal items during their busy schedules. They can take the time to do it on vacation.

The Caribbean has a large number of jewelry stores within a few blocks so you should be able to find a special item within your budget.

There are also some items you may not be able to buy in your area.

What do you mean you broke even on what you paid? I"m confused by your post.

The necklace was valued roughly what we paid for it so we didn't lose any money but were told we were buying a piece which was worth considerably more than it was.....lesson learned