Have your thoughts changed on Europe since the Manchester bombing?

CoupleUK

Two questions:-

1) Following the horrific Manchester bombing, have you changed your mind on travelling/cruising in Europe?.......or do you share the attitude that you won't be bullied by it?

2) How many days out is final payment (or free cancellation deadline) for US citizens taking a European cruise?

We have no plans to cruise abroad, but if we did....NO....we would not change our plans. We have the same problems here, so it really has no influence at all to travel. We will keep living our lives. Please know that here in the USA, our hearts are broken.....especially since most of the deceased were children. :(

Edited by champagne123

We have a river cruise from Nice winding its way to Macon in July - we will spend 5 nights in Paris. We then do a land tour to the UK and will see England, Wales & Scotland. In November we will do a Viking cruise which starts in Budapest. As others have mentioned - can't hide from trouble.

The only cruise I did postpone is a Baltic which includes a couple of nights in St. Petersburg Russia. Not liking what is happening there - decided we can put that off for a while.

Betty

Flying to Barcelona in about 74 days and sailing from there to Rome:D........to answer your first question, no my plans

are not changing.

Leaving for London and British Isles cruise on Monday. Not a bit worried. We have extremists in the US too -- someone killed two men in Portland Oregon that came to the defense of two Muslim women being harassed. Live your life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Currently planning some travel in Europe for 2018. I won't be bullied by cowardly terrorists into living in fear and not enjoying the freedom to do what I want, when I want.

What does scare me is distracted drivers texting and driving. Now there's something to worry about.

I'll still be traveling, too, but I always cringe at comments of the sort "I'm more in danger being hit by a drunk driver".

The car being driven by a drunk driver is not a weapon that was carefully planned specifically to kill and maim as many innocent bystanders as possible, all in the name of some ideology.

For some deeper perspective, and food for thought, here is an outtake from a post written by Kay Wilson after the Manchester attacks. Kay is a British citizen who survived a viscous terror attack several years ago. During that attack, while she herself was being brutally stabbed, she watched her friend killed by the same attackers. Link below to a report about the attack; Kay posts publicly on FB so you can read her entire post on her page there.

-- Please note that I am not making a political statement here. I am speaking as an individual who has seen the aftermath of way too many terror attacks (even one attack is way too many), and has been cringing over the past few years at repeated somewhat flippant responses whenever this topic is discussed on CC.

Kay's reflections:

"From personal experience, I can say that after a terror attack life is NOT Business As Usual. And it never can be Business As Usual, because murder is the most cosmic and irreparable violation known to both man and mankind. Murder steals from families. Murder plunders the unborn generations. Murder grieves friends. Murder rips out souls from communities. Murder wounds a nation and murder irreparably damages our world.

Business As Usual, the familiar scenes of personal, emotional and collective carnage, is how things will be until the people decide that they are no longer prepared to tolerate this Business As Usual."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3520852/You-pay-two-Palestinian-terrorists-left-Britain-woman-dead-killed-friend-9-000-year-reward.html

We are almost ready except a funeral service for my 100 yrs mother-in-law today and we will be leaving middle of next week to London for our British Islands & French open cruise. Life go on through with good & bad.

GO! Summer 2016 was slow in Europe too. Last summer I went to Europe twice. The cruise deals were fantastic. This year you can also get great deals. Just back from 2 Med cruises. Ship was not full. Most ports except Lisbon were not crowded. I will be on a British Isles cruise this summer. I have noticed that many lines are pulling ships out of Europe for the 2018-19 sailings. Sadly, that shows how the cruise industry looks at the future. Happily, you can get great deals for travel this summer to Europe. Go!

I'm not changing any plans. I was in Greece and Italy in April, will be in Portugal and Spain in September and possibly London in November.

I was starting to toy with the idea of going back to Egypt, but the unsettling attacks on Coptic Christians have convinced me it is not yet the time.

Leaving for London and British Isles cruise on Monday. Not a bit worried. We have extremists in the US too -- someone killed two men in Portland Oregon that came to the defense of two Muslim women being harassed. Live your life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are almost ready except a funeral service for my 100 yrs mother-in-law today and we will be leaving middle of next week to London for our British Islands & French open cruise. Life go on through with good & bad.

We are on the very same cruise. Have you joined the role call? One week to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not changing any plans. I was in Greece and Italy in April, will be in Portugal and Spain in September and possibly London in November.

I was starting to toy with the idea of going back to Egypt, but the unsettling attacks on Coptic Christians have convinced me it is not yet the time.

We have been to Egypt several times; often staying for 7 weeks at a time. We were in a holiday resort next to President Mubarak when he was ousted from Cairo and you wouldn't think anything had happened.

The people there are extremely friendly; in fact Ive had better service there than on many cruise ships.

It's terrible what is happening now in Egypt - I would love to go back but Im afraid it's just not safe at the moment.

I just came back from Europe. Police presence very visible, but I would not change my plans. Europe cruise and land again next year...

I think everyone should do what they feel is best for themselves; it is a personal decision...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

My thoughts changed after the Paris bombing.

We will still cruise to Europe and the British Isles, but will tend to avoid crowds as much as possible.

Where we can, we will put more emphasis on out-of-the-box cultural experiences rather than many of the typical tourist attractions.