Will others think this is odd?

rene194215

I am going solo for the first time in 10 days and I have my time dining. I want to really do wat I want to when I want to. I want to have dinner on my own. Do people think differently of someone who does this? I am totally fine eating on my own but just wondered what the general feel was.

I am going solo for the first time in 10 days and I have my time dining. I want to really do wat I want to when I want to. I want to have dinner on my own. Do people think differently of someone who does this? I am totally fine eating on my own but just wondered what the general feel was.

No doubt some with think it is odd, but some (like me) will think it is fantastic! It only really matters what you think. Have a GREAT time! :)

I have no idea what other people think, I never asked, and no one in their right mind would tell me that its odd even if they think it.

I always pick anytime dinning in the MDR and eat on my own at a table for two.

Edited by cruiseelady

I usually do not pay attention to other people, unless I need something from them, so I do not even remotely know what they think therefore it just doesn't matter to me. ;)

Go and have a great time; do what you want and don't pay attention to others. It is none of their business what you do!!

Have fun!!!:D :D

Edited by Cruisercl

Yes, some people will think it's odd. There will always be some people who will think something is odd.......the important question is: do you care? There are other people who will be doing as you do, there will be some who won't understand why you're doing it, and there will be some who aren't doing as you are but wish they were. Sounds like life ;)

I've been sailing solo for several years now and am leaving on a b2b on 10/25. I do quite the opposite of most of you. I enjoy meeting new people and spending time with those I've met over the years on CC. I do enjoy spending time alone, but love dinners with friends. I usually do Traditional but this year I'm going to do anytime for my 4-day.

As for anyone thinking differently, I have never once had anyone be anything but impressed when they find out that I'm a solo. Most are amazed and everyone asks me questions about it. If there are people who think I'm odd for traveling solo, I frankly don't care. As a dear friend of mine always said, what others think of me is none of my business.

Have a great voyage. Bon Voyage!

Maureen

I often travel and dine alone and I don't care one bit what others think. On cruises I prefer to dine alone, and do it at the buffet, where I can take my dinner out to a nice table out on the open deck and enjoy dining al fresco. And there is almost never anyone else out there.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that other people aren't thinking about you or me. They're only thinking of themselves! :-)

Meanwhile, I've spent over 50 nights on cruise ships dining alone (my preference). Go for it! :-)

All of my cruises have been solos, and if possible I elect the my time or any time dining. The majority of the time I dine by myself, but on occasion if I decide to dine in the MDR I will join a table with others. I am comfortable either way and don't worry too much about what others might think.

I've done Anytime Dining on all of my solo Holland America cruises. I agree about not having to adhere to a schedule and doing what you want when you want. I do, however, like to share a table at dinner since I'm by myself at lunch and breakfast. It's kind of nice to have familiar faces to run into throughout the cruise, even if you don't develop a friendship with them.

Of course, if I were on one of the mega-ships I might ask to dine alone since the chances of running into past table mates again are a lot slimmer!

I'll eat breakfast or lunch alone in a buffet and sometimes I'll opt for the MDR version where I'll get seated with others. Depends on my mood which I choose. For dinner though, I enjoy sitting at a large table and getting to know other people. Different strokes for different folks. Like others have said, I couldn't give a tinkers' dam about what others think. It doesn't occur to me, maybe because I'm a guy. This is a recurrent issue for some women though. You should do what you want to do and that's all, folks.

Thanks all! I have no qualms about having dinner on my own... this helps since its first time solo,,,, Im getting nervous for some reason :(

It is probably normal but I can tell you I think once you board the ship

those nerves will melt away:)......I have been sailing solo for 11 years

now....I no longer have the nerves about going ...........for me? it is more

about "I am so ready to get on the ship":D

My first solo cruise was back in May 2003......now it is 2014....they have

all been awesome....some better than others, but overall? I keep cruising

solo because I love it;)

Hope you have a great time and most cruisers are quite friendly! I have

eaten at tables of 8 and also eaten on my own.....I wouldn't concern

myself about what other folks think about your dining choices. Just go and

and have fun.:)

Edited by Lois R

Thanks all! I have no qualms about having dinner on my own... this helps since its first time solo,,,, Im getting nervous for some reason :(

I, too, was very nervous on my first solo cruise. But believe you, me that it was very delightful being able to do WHAT you want, WHEN you want, and HOW you want at anytime on the cruise. I usually enjoy the company of others, but, then again, sometimes I like to be alone. Solo, you have the best of both worlds, depending on the mood you are in. And, by the way, if your mood changes from hour to hour or minute to minute, you have no one elses feelings to worry about. No one putting you on a guilt trip. No other reponsibility than just to make sure you have a great time. And you will do just that. After this cruise you may never want to go with another person, ever again.

I did my first solo on 9/1 to Canada and enjoyed it so much that I am doing it again on 10/24.

Years ago I would starve to death before I would eat alone but now I rather like it! (lol)

It's nice to enjoy the meal at your own pace and be done when YOU ARE DONE.

I'm not a dessert eater after eating dinner but always felt obligated to be polite and stay until everyone else is done. Sometimes I won't order salad or appetizers and then have to wait until everyone has theirs before I get dinner. NO MORE!!

Anytime dining is now for me!

Enjoy...

I've been sailing solo for several years now and am leaving on a b2b on 10/25. I do quite the opposite of most of you. I enjoy meeting new people and spending time with those I've met over the years on CC. I do enjoy spending time alone, but love dinners with friends. I usually do Traditional but this year I'm going to do anytime for my 4-day.

As for anyone thinking differently, I have never once had anyone be anything but impressed when they find out that I'm a solo. Most are amazed and everyone asks me questions about it. If there are people who think I'm odd for traveling solo, I frankly don't care. As a dear friend of mine always said, what others think of me is none of my business.

Have a great voyage. Bon Voyage!

Maureen

What others think of me is none of my business..That is the best sentence I think I have ever read!!!

Patty:D

Rene, put the shoe on the other foot. While you're dining alone, look around the room at the couples, some sitting side by side so they don't have to look at each other, eating in stony silence.

(Note: These are the ones I try to steer clear of during open seatings where they throw everybody together just to fill tables. If they won't talk to each other, they're probably not going to talk to YOU either. Makes for an awkward meal. ;))

I bet some of those people WISH they could have your table for one! :D

I've been on two solo cruises. One on CCL for four days and one on NCL for seven days. It was so pleasurable to go eat whenever I wanted to and/or do whatever I wanted to without having to consult with someone else. I wasn't concerned about anyone thinking I was odd or strange for eating alone.😉

Sent from my iPad Air using Forums

• 1 month later...
So, Rene, How did you like it?

I knew there was something I forgot to do! I have been so busy since I came back I forgot!

Well all I can say is I am planning on a solo on the Conquest in Oct again!!!! I have no troubles at all on my solo voyage!!! I cannot say how nice people were and how I had a wonderful time!!! I have already joined the roll call for the Conquest sailing so I think it will be a great time.,

Honestly the best thing I could have done!!!!

I knew there was something I forgot to do! I have been so busy since I came back I forgot!

Well all I can say is I am planning on a solo on the Conquest in Oct again!!!! I have no troubles at all on my solo voyage!!! I cannot say how nice people were and how I had a wonderful time!!! I have already joined the roll call for the Conquest sailing so I think it will be a great time.,

Honestly the best thing I could have done!!!!

Glad you had such a fun cruise:D:):D