Where do women 40+ shop for clothes?

Actually I'm 54, but on a recent shopping trip it seems that everywhere I looked, stores seem to be aimed at either those who are in their 20s, or those who want to look like they are. And those that do seem to be aimed at an older age are a) cheaply made cr@p and/or dowdy styles that look like they belong on an 82 year old woman in a nursing home. I don't want to look like I'm in my 20s (or even 30s), but I don't want to look like I should be knitting Christmas sweaters with bells and reindeer either.

Actually I'm 54, but on a recent shopping trip it seems that everywhere I looked, stores seem to be aimed at either those who are in their 20s, or those who want to look like they are. And those that do seem to be aimed at an older age are a) cheaply made cr@p and/or dowdy styles that look like they belong on an 82 year old woman in a nursing home. I don't want to look like I'm in my 20s (or even 30s), but I don't want to look like I should be knitting Christmas sweaters with bells and reindeer either.

Careful - some people actually like Coldwater Creek's Christmas sweaters ;)

I firmly believe there is no place that a mature women needs to be relegated to for shopping. Go wherever you want, buy what you think looks good on you.

I'm older than you. I shop at: Athleta, Sahalie, Title Nine, Sundance Catalog, Poetry, Wrap. All online/catalog shops with a few brick & mortar locations. If I go to a mall, I do Nordstrom (the section with Caslon, Halogen, NYDJ, Vince Camuto) The Gap (where the jeans and khakis and shorts fit me), Ann Taylor and, for some things, Jill. I also get a big part of my casual clothes via Prana and The North Face at my local REI and in-town outdoors stores. I keep going into Chico's but I think they are mostly in that "Christmas sweater" category now - the patterns and embellishments are too cheesy for me. I have one basic black business suit and a couple of tank tops from Chicos, but I have not found anything more than those that I would wear.

I am 46 and I buy a decent amount of both by work and casual clothes at White House Black Market. I have become an expert of shopping sales and using coupons so I never pay full price. I think there quality is good. Like with any story, I do not like everything they sell, but I can find more than enough that is very flattering and age appropriate.

I also like Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic and J. Crew for certain things as well.

For years -- ever since college really -- I was a dedicated Talbots shopper. Their clothes were classic and timeless and really worked for me whether I was at work or relaxing. (Caveat: my workplace is still dressier than many; we are only allowed to wear jeans on the occasional Friday.)

However, in the past five years I have been less happy with Talbots' quality and with their aggressively preppy look. All those bright pinks and greens and oranges just aren't for me.

I still like really well made clothes that are classic in style, but I tend toward a somewhat more urban look and colors now. I like a lot of Eileen Fisher pieces (not the really drapey or boxy tops, though). Slowly my closet is becoming more EF than Talbots.

For more casual looks I like J. Jill. I sometimes buy a few of the classic Ralph Lauren pieces (especially blouses) for work. I also like some Michael Kors (nothing with a big brand though!), Calvin Klein, and Vince Camuto things.

At the nice malls closest to me, I probably buy more in Nordstrom and Bloomingdales than elsewhere. Never have found much at WH/BM, and Ann Taylor doesn't fit my body type well.

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot to mention Nic + Zoe. I like dressy cardigans to wear for work instead of always wearing a suit jacket, and they have some nice cardigans in both dressier and more casual styles.

Edited by cruisemom42

For years -- ever since college really -- I was a dedicated Talbots shopper. Their clothes were classic and timeless and really worked for me whether I was at work or relaxing. (Caveat: my workplace is still dressier than many; we are only allowed to wear jeans on the occasional Friday.)

However, in the past five years I have been less happy with Talbots' quality and with their aggressively preppy look. All those bright pinks and greens and oranges just aren't for me.

I still like really well made clothes that are classic in style, but I tend toward a somewhat more urban look and colors now. I like a lot of Eileen Fisher pieces (not the really drapey or boxy tops, though). Slowly my closet is becoming more EF than Talbots.

For more casual looks I like J. Jill. I sometimes buy a few of the classic Ralph Lauren pieces (especially blouses) for work. I also like some Michael Kors (nothing with a big brand though!), Calvin Klein, and Vince Camuto things.

At the nice malls closest to me, I probably buy more in Nordstrom and Bloomingdales than elsewhere. Never have found much at WH/BM, and Ann Taylor doesn't fit my body type well.

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot to mention Nic + Zoe. I like dressy cardigans to wear for work instead of always wearing a suit jacket, and they have some nice cardigans in both dressier and more casual styles.

Forgot about EF. And, Garnet Hill. I sure wish I could wear dressy cardigans and jackets at work instead of having to do the full matching suit thing. So boring. I do show my rebellious streak with my socks (all colors and patterns) and wearing a lot of my Athleta and Prana tops under my suits (no one can tell the difference).

I agree that in my late 40s, it can be challenging to find the right balance between being stylish and being age-appropriate, without trying to look in my 20s or too matronly.

For career wear, I usually shop Ann Taylor (petites) for dresses, blouses, skirts, etc. For more casual wear, I tend to do the rounds at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, and sometimes Beall's Outlet. On occasion, I shop at Macy's (love the 1-day sales!).

I live in south Florida, so it is always hot. I love maxi dresses, because I have trouble finding shorts at an appropriate length; they are either way too short or way too long.

I just signed up for Stitch Fix, filled out my style profile, but have yet to set up any shipments. I like that I only pay for the items I keep. Has anyone used Stitch Fix, and if so, what was your experience like?

Edited by brunello22

I have used Stitch Fix on a few occasions. It's VERY important that you give a detailed account of your likes and dislikes to your stylist. I signed up for monthly fixes a few years ago and didn't really like what I was getting. I realized it was the comments to my stylist where I failed. I stopped the fixes for a few years and only recently started again.

This time I was very careful with my likes and dislikes, what I was shopping for, and what clothes/colors/styles/silhouettes I most liked. My first Fix was a bust as the stylist sent me clothes fit for my mother (and I'm 58!). I created a Pinterest board that gave my stylist ideas of my style and likes/dislikes, copying the address of the Pinterest board into my profile. I'm constantly pinning new ideas for my stylist. My next Fix was perfect! The only thing I didn't like was pencil skirt that just didn't fit me in the waist. I'm going to gear up for a fall Fix and start pinning autumn type clothing ideas.

I will say that their clothes are pricey, though I didn't mind paying for those items I enjoyed. I'd love to know what you liked in your Stitch Fix box. Pictures, please!

That is a great idea about sharing your Pinterest likes/dislikes with the stylist! Thank you for the suggestion and I will come back and comment on my experience!

Careful - some people actually like Coldwater Creek's Christmas sweaters ;)

I firmly believe there is no place that a mature women needs to be relegated to for shopping. Go wherever you want, buy what you think looks good on you.

I'm older than you. I shop at: Athleta, Sahalie, Title Nine, Sundance Catalog, Poetry, Wrap. All online/catalog shops with a few brick & mortar locations. If I go to a mall, I do Nordstrom (the section with Caslon, Halogen, NYDJ, Vince Camuto) The Gap (where the jeans and khakis and shorts fit me), Ann Taylor and, for some things, Jill. I also get a big part of my casual clothes via Prana and The North Face at my local REI and in-town outdoors stores. I keep going into Chico's but I think they are mostly in that "Christmas sweater" category now - the patterns and embellishments are too cheesy for me. I have one basic black business suit and a couple of tank tops from Chicos, but I have not found anything more than those that I would wear.

Could not agree more!

With just about every store having an online site, you can look through what is offered and either buy online or go to the brick and mortar store. I usually only buy online if it's a brand that I know fits but even that can be dicey. Most online sites will take back returns to their B&M store so you don't have to deal with returning by mail. Also, most of the time, the online site will have free shipping by buying x amount and will even offer free shipping with no minimum.

Thanks for all your suggestions, especially Stitch Fix -- I had never heard of it. I also used to love Talbots, but no more, and that's one of the things that prompted my post today.

(And to be fair, I never said women of any age should be limited to where they can shop......my question was where about where you choose to shop)

J Jill and Eileen Fisher make up most of my wardrobe. (I'm 45) I also find clothes at Eddie Bauer and Macy's. I find J Jill and EF particularly forgiving and easy to wear, while still not looking like my grandmother's clothes.

I tend to avoid the clingy knits that seem prevalent at most mall stores because I don't like the way they seem to highlight the rolls that have appeared around my mid section, and I refuse to wear Spanx all of the time.

I love Michael Kors, J Crew, Calvin Klein, Jessica Simpson makes beautiful plus size and fashionable clothing that anyone can wear, clothing. Every once in a while Forever 21 will have something I love. Just bought online a Forever 21 maxi dress that fit perfect and looked fantastic. I agree with previous poster that you should not be relegated to one style or store. More and more designers are making plus size and older women fashionable clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that in my late 40s, it can be challenging to find the right balance between being stylish and being age-appropriate, without trying to look in my 20s or too matronly.

For career wear, I usually shop Ann Taylor (petites) for dresses, blouses, skirts, etc. For more casual wear, I tend to do the rounds at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, and sometimes Beall's Outlet. On occasion, I shop at Macy's (love the 1-day sales!).

I live in south Florida, so it is always hot. I love maxi dresses, because I have trouble finding shorts at an appropriate length; they are either way too short or way too long.

I just signed up for Stitch Fix, filled out my style profile, but have yet to set up any shipments. I like that I only pay for the items I keep. Has anyone used Stitch Fix, and if so, what was your experience like?

I did Stitch Fix once before our Bahamas cruise last year. I included in my profile that I live where it is HOT and and humid and that I was also looking for cute things to take cruising. I got some great pieces! She picked lighter weight items. If you are on Pinterest, you can link your Pinterest board of clothes you love to your Stitch Fix account.

I'm a shop-a-holic so I shop everywhere. I'm 69 but don't believe in the words "age-appropriate." I wear whatever I like and what I think looks good on me be it something classic or trendy. I'm known among my friends for being a "fashionista of the highest order" LOL!

I shop mostly at places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Nordstrom (especially their "rack" store). At TJ Maxx especially you can find great-priced designer clothing and accessories...same with Nordstrom Rack. I too am very good at shopping sales and I rarely ever pay full price for anything.

I especially like TJ Maxx because you can find everything from classic basics to the trendiest of trendy. I have purchased many designer pieces there. I'm particularly in love with Michael Kors and I've bought his dresses, pants, skirts, jeans, tops, swimsuits, jewelry, handbags, and shoes all at great prices.I like that they have clothing options for all types of women. From Juniors to Women's Plus sizes and everything in-between.

Edited by mousey

My biggest issue is the length of skirts, shorts and dresses. I am already fairly tall (5'7") and if you try on the dresses in the stores now, my rearend would just about show. Had a wedding to go to in April and did find a couple dresses that hit right above my knee (what I was looking for). Macy's is where I found them, but on-line. Took a good long while to find though.

I'm in my 60's...I LOVE Marshall's and Ross, and TJ Maxx...great bargains! I also shop at Belk, Macy's, Dillards and Kohl's....

I don't have a "matronly" figure...so I can wear younger fashions without looking insane...

Don't worry about WHERE you shop...just focus on what you look like in your outfits!

I'm 56 and I shop mainly at Macy's and Dress Barn, but also sometimes at Ann Taylor/Loft. In my early 40's I was still a decent size (10) and could and did wear a variety of things, and most were things that under 40's wore. Now I'm not so skinny (size 16) but I still wear a variety, just not too young for my age. I believe you wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

I am 61, tall, size 14/16 and shop in Maine, so my choices for stores are limited. I do well at Macy's, Chicos, Dress Barn and, Talbots. I buy my t shirts, sweaters and khakis at LL Beans! I also enjoy TJ Maxx, our Marshalls rarely has anything worth buying. Our newest store is Bonton, but I have not been in there often enough to get a feel for the quality of the clothes.

What I appreciate is many more designers are making clothes that are attractive, colorful and are designed for the body that has experienced the effects of gravity. I do not want to look matronly, but I cannot wear styles designed for twenty somethings.

Edited by MommaBear55

I'm 72 and shop at Nordstrom, Talbots, Dillards, J Jill's and buy basics at LL Bean and Lands End. I used to shop at Coldwater Creek but lately their clothing seems a little matronly to me. I used to like Chicos a lot, but now I am very particular what I buy there because much of their clothing lately is what I call "theatrical" and a little daring or attention-getting for my taste. That said, once in awhile I can still find something that suits my taste at Chicos.

I do find it a challenge to walk the fine line between "grandma" clothes and clothes that are too youngish. For me it is safest to stay out of stores such as Express or H&M and the myriad of other retailers that cater heavily to juniors and teens.

I am 45 and dressy casual. I work in a creative industry where I can wear jeans daily if I want. I actually find quite a bit at JCPenney! I went in there on a whim several years ago when I was on a the hunt for off-season clothing for a cruise to Mexico and haven't looked back. I like their a.n.a., Stylus, and Worthington lines primarily. Additionally, I shop Macy's (love INC), Nordstrom Rack, and TJMaxx. I am also a big second-hand shopper. I love finding quality pieces of clothing I would never purchase retail ($$$) for a fraction of the cost.

And, I completely agree with shopping and wearing exactly what you want! Wear what makes you feel beautiful.

MommaBear, Bonton's now owns an old Midwestern department store chain called Boston Store. Used to be Berners and was partnered with Carson Pierre Scott. Great stuff for men in their Tommy Bahama area. I like their shoe department and am still deciding on women's clothing. I am 57 and tend to shop at Norstroms, sales at Neiman Marcus especially their house brand, J Jill and Lands End/LL Bean. Like many I used to shop at Talbott but I no longer need their suits and the casual clothes have gotten a bit young for me. After this last top from Chico's I give up. Everything is polyester and printed. Sleeves can't be rolled up and who wants a maxi dress with a white inside showing instead of the reverse of the outer print? They had some nice trouser jeans once that sold quickly and then they brought in the same style cut tighter and with worn marks printed across the upper leg where we bend on sitting. And since I like pants that actually hit my shoes and just about everything they sell is cropped... I am loving NYDJ at Nordstroms.

Edited by NorthernLite
Auto correct gone nuts.

Talbot's clothes fit me (5'3" and under 100 pounds) and work for an older age group.

Keep in mind, Brook's Brothers has quality women's clothing.

Zappo's is more than shoes ... nice clothes as well. :)

Thank you for the BB reminder! I've got to be on the hunt on my days off this week for another suit. My local outlet mall has a BB store, an Ann Taylor store, and I will try them out!