Ads on the side of the Page......

sail7seas

I have never had this happen before today but my screen has been about 30% taken over with advertisements on the right side. That cuts into the space for message boxes and I can't get rid of the ads.

Is anyone else seeing this on their computers or did I do something stupid that made them think I want to read their ads?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks. :o

I was wondering the same thing myself. The ads just showed up today, and I find them really annoying. I, too, thought I had inadvertently done something to cause them to appear. Whoever can tell me how to get rid of them will be my hero.

I'm so glad I asked.

I kept looking for someone to post a thread and finally got so annoyed with

these ads, I decided to ask.

Misery loves company and all that.

I hope someone makes them go away....... fast. :D

A couple of the other boards (Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, I think) have had this type of format (ads on the right) for a while now. I worried that eventually all boards would get this type of layout and now here it is.

I checked my usual boards (HAL, Solo and Asia) and they all have the ads. If anyone knows how to get rid of them, I would love to know. They are ugly and annoying.

I can just ignore the ads but what I don't like is they shrink the readable part of the screen. Annoying! :mad:

Maybe a compromise would be to put the ads in-between the posts?

ETA: Just checked a few other forums... they're everywhere! :eek:

Edited by dobiemom
Found more ads

I couldn't agree more. That ad off to the side can be ignored---in fact is ignored a lot more easily than the ones at the top and the bottom. But it makes the posts area harder to read, and a whole lot less attractive.

The list of threads is very hard to read now, though. Ugg.

I can expand the part I do want to see, but then the print is huge! Very annoying. I guess there must be money in there somewhere.

It's like this on the roll calls, too.

Edited by Vict0riann

My wife told me that this was a job for geek boy. So I looked at the page source code.

It looks like CC is using the right rail (aka right column) as an ad runner for ads from DoubleClick. It's essentially the same code that they run at the top of the page, but now they're running it at the side as well.

So... It's the same ad source as the top banner ads, just a different size ad in the right rail.

Why the complaining? You get100% more ads per page at no additional charge! :eek:

extra-ads.jpg

Edited by POA1

I can expand the part I do want to see, but then the print is huge! Very annoying. I guess there must be money in there somewhere.

It's like this on the roll calls, too.

Actually, I like the idea of enlarging the part I want to read.

It is far less annoying to have large font than to see the ads.

I now have the page showing only the part I want to see.

Just as cruise lines seem to continually cut costs by reducing MDR food quality and shortening port time so they can save fuel en route to next ports, Cruise Critic has increased their bottom line by selling ad space.

Those who hope the ads will go away should face reality - rather than going away, it is more likely that the space dedicated to ads will continually increase - the classic business model - always seek ways to either reduce costs, or increase revenues - hopefully both simultaneously.

I knew it was a matter of time.............other CC boards have had the advertising on the side for awhile now. I was thankful that HAL boards were not. I liked it better when the advertising was between the replies on the board. It blended in better. Now its a eyesore. :mad: I will figure it out and then I will not have to look at the advertising anymore. :D