More Ships coming for Azamara ?

Klaus234

Dr. Joerg Rudolph, Royal Caribbean’s managing director for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, announced in an interview with the German tourism magazine “Touristk Aktuell” that Azamara will get two new ships – he didn’t specify if these will be new builds or if the cruise line will purchase existing ships. More details are expected for end of summer 2015.

http://www.touristik-aktuell.de/nachrichten/kreuzfahrt/news/datum/2015/02/06/azamara-bekommt-neue-schiffe/

Dr. Joerg Rudolph, Royal Caribbean’s managing director for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, announced in an interview with the German tourism magazine “Touristk Aktuell” that Azamara will get two new ships – he didn’t specify if these will be new builds or if the cruise line will purchase existing ships. More details are expected for end of summer 2015.

http://www.touristik-aktuell.de/nachrichten/kreuzfahrt/news/datum/2015/02/06/azamara-bekommt-neue-schiffe/

Thanks for posting. Great news for Azamara cruisers.

And finally my high school German classes prove truly valuable :)

This is great news and bears out what we were told when we were on Journey in November.

I would be surprised if we were talking about new builds but two ships joining the fleet is wonderful.

Bonnie for those of us who don't speak German can you please post details.

Probably two of the R class ships from Princess.

Azamara could buy Pacific Princess, but that's the only one left in the Princess fleet since Ocean Princess was already sold to Oceania. The only other R-ship available is P&O's Adonia.

Here is the Google Translation:

Azamara gets new ships

The new Germany boss of Royal Caribbean, Jörg Rudolph has rejected speculation about the setting of the luxury brand Azamara Club Cruises. "The brand is to be continued", Managing Director of RCL Cruises said in an interview with tourism-date. Thus, even two new vessels are planned. Whether it is used or new construction units should be decided in late summer.

Currently Azamara operates the two sister ships, Quest and Journey, which each hold 686 passengers, and would, according to Rudolph increasingly requested by Charter. Especially for the coming summer why am less capacity for the single sale.

More news to Cruise

Azamara could buy Pacific Princess, but that's the only one left in the Princess fleet since Ocean Princess was already sold to Oceania. The only other R-ship available is P&O's Adonia.

If Azamara were to purchase P&O's Adonia, I would hope that the ship maintain its current ADULTS ONLY policy. It's only one of a very few ships that do not permit children at all, and I think that the loyal Adonia fans who cruise on her in large part for an all-adult voyage would be likely to want to book an Azamara cruise on her, bringing new cruisers to Azamara.

And, frankly the name "Azamara Adonia" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

If Adonia is indeed one of the two she will need an almost total refurb as she was extremely tired looking last Feb when we sailed her.

We had only previously sailed PandO once, a good number of years ago, and didn't much care for the experience but booked last year because of the itinerary and because the "R 8's" are our preferred size of ship.

What a disappointment. Just a few months earlier we had sailed Quest and the contrast between the appearance of both ships was startling. When we sailed Quest again a few months after Adonia we were reminded of this.

I wrote a review of Adonia at the time.

I can confirm we are NOT going out of business.

We'll then, Bonnie...I just may get my All Sicily Cruise in 2016...hopefully in the spring. ;). Hint, hint. :D

I already have in mind a couple of good names in mind for the ships. This is truly exciting news.

Edited by midwestchick

Whilst on Journey during November we were told on good authority that the two remaining R ships under the the control of the Carnival group (Princess and P&O)would not be considered for purchase.

This was because, effectively "they burn dirty diesel" which restricts the destinations the ships can visit, which effectively defeats Destination Immersion

The title of this topic is misleading. Azamara made no announcements; someone is speculating in the media about what the future might bring. If publicly traded RCI were to get additional ships, that has cash/debt implications and therefore would only be announced via a formal investor/shareholder message and press release. I suggest a moderator updates the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by florisdekort

The title of this topic is misleading. Azamara made no announcements; someone is speculating in the media about what the future might bring. If publicly traded RCI were to get additional ships, that has cash/debt implications and therefore would only be announced via a formal investor/shareholder message and press release. I suggest a moderator updates the title.

Indeed, that was why I was surprised that an RCI executive appeared to make such a price sensitive announcement. It would be helpful if Bonnie could give a fuller clarification to her previous post - is it a translation issue or what?

Whilst on Journey during November we were told on good authority that the two remaining R ships under the the control of the Carnival group (Princess and P&O)would not be considered for purchase.

This was because, effectively "they burn dirty diesel" which restricts the destinations the ships can visit, which effectively defeats Destination Immersion

They could add scrubbers. Celebrity is doing that over the next few years to their Solstice class ships. The used R class ships would cost a small fraction of the cost of new ships!

That makes sense, although there is also a rumor that Oceania wants to grab them when they become available. Of course O is pouring multi-millions into renovating Ocean Princess, so maybe they are rectifying the "dirty diesel" problem.

The German announcement did seem to say that the decision about new vs. used hasn't been made yet, so we can still hope for a 21st century design that builds on the R-ships' strengths and solves their weaknesses.

The title of this topic is misleading. Azamara made no announcements; someone is speculating in the media about what the future might bring.

The 2 new ships were mentioned by Dr. Joerg Rudolph who is Royal Caribbean’s managing director for Germany, Austria and Switzerland – I think this is not just "someone".

Nevertheless I was also surprised to read an important announcement like this in an interview with a German magazine. On the other hand we all know that Azamara's communication is neither the fastest nor the best...

Hopefully this statement proves to be true. Looking to sail on AZ for the first time possibly next summer and would love to see more sailings during the summer months that are 7 day sailings for those of us who cannot get away from work for more then 10 days...travel to and back from Europe from the US having to fly in on the day of sailing is to stressful. Here is to anxious anticipation until a formal announcement!

Hi Floris,

As this appears to be unconfirmed by Azamara, and Bonnie has posted on this thread, I've updated the thread title accordingly.

For future reference, please consider emailing me, or use the Alert triangle, report.gif , which will bring your concerns to my immediate attention. Thanks very much !