wallet stolen night before cruise boarding with no id??

Karma_

My wallet was stolen an hour ago supposed to be boarding in the morning. The only documents I have are my social security card birth certificate marriage certificate and a color photocopy of my drivers license. I know the rules but any chance they let me slip by and get on the boat?

Thanks

Be sure to leave your social security card at home in a safe place.

There is no need to have it for anything in daily life. It is GOLD for anyone who would steal it and use it to become you....open a credit card and use it, etc, etc.

It is not good for an ID document unless you are making application for certain pension plans or other once-in-a-lifetime occurrences.

My wallet was stolen an hour ago supposed to be boarding in the morning. The only documents I have are my social security card birth certificate marriage certificate and a color photocopy of my drivers license. I know the rules but any chance they let me slip by and get on the boat? Thanks

No 1: Are you visiting a foreign (Not Mexico or Canada) port? If so, I would very much doubt it.

No 2: Would you be able to get back to the USA with what you have still got in an emergency? If not then I very much doubt it.

Phone NCL NOW!!

Don't you need a passport?

These boards are full of posts in which Americans expect that, so long as they are only visiting Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas or Bermuda or a combination of these, that a passport is not necessary.

They forget that you cannot fly without one. They just think that they will never miss the boat nor get injured.

No 2: Would you be able to get back to the USA with what you have still got in an emergency? If not then I very much doubt it.

With respect to your non-US viewpoint the OP would have little trouble entering the US with the ID that he has.

Note I said 'little' trouble, not 'no' trouble. The complications for emergency entry are often characterized as impossible and insurmountable.

They are not. There are methods and procedures in place to enable US citizens to return home in times of personal trouble.

Granted, passports make things very convenient and without drama, but there are definitely other methods that can be used.

Is the birth certificate an official one to be used instead of a passport?

Are you traveling with someone who has a credit card?

I only sailed with a passport and I don't remember needing any other documents. But, I'm probably wrong if you use a birth certificate (need photo id I guess).

My wallet was stolen an hour ago supposed to be boarding in the morning. The only documents I have are my social security card birth certificate marriage certificate and a color photocopy of my drivers license. I know the rules but any chance they let me slip by and get on the boat?

Thanks

Get a police report. Then the photocopy of your drivers license might be accepted for your photo id. Luckily you have your birth certificate. So you should be ok if you are US citizen on closed loop cruise.

I am very curious about your comments and how you define "little trouble"?

I think Mike's comments were very much how the situation would play out in the case of an emergency. It is not foreign governments who would be making things difficult for an American citizen. It is the US government that has all the barriers in place for anyone entering the United States without proper and acceptable identification.

Frankly I wish it would become mandatory for anyone and entering the country to have a passport. I cannot understand why the government of my own country continues to let Americans on cruise ships to enter our country without a passport. And that is not a knock against Americans whatsoever. Let's just have some consistency here. Under no circumstances can I enter the Us without being fully vetted as someone who frequently crosses the border and have a card to show that or I have a passport. The exact same rules should apply to anyone and everyone entering my country.

To the OP, as someone mentioned make a report to the police. I had my wallet stolen years ago a week before I was going on y, the police report I was given was very helpful for expediting all sorts of steps I needed when getting new ID issued, financial concerns and even at the airport, especially on my return.

I wish you luck and hope you are still able to take your cruise.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As suggested by others, contact NCL ASAP.

For what it is worth: My daughter's boyfriend forgot his passport for a Jan 2013 cruise. NCL's port representative was willing to accept a copy of his birth certificate that boyfriend's family faxed to the port. We all boarded and still had time for lunch aboard the Dawn.

This was for a Caribbean cruise leaving from Tampa. i don't know whether there are standard policies in place. However, having a copy of your birth certificate obviously proves birth -- one of the key functions of a passport.

Good luck -- and (hopefully) Bon Voyage!

Being from New Zealand and having been born in England I have two passports. I am unable to enter any country, including those two, without showing one or other passport. It depends on the country I am entering which one I use.

I agree with Rochelle that anyone going cross border between any two countries should be required to carry a passport.

Mike

On closed-loop cruises, do US citizens actually have to show their documents to any immigration officials on disembarkation day? I know that everyone goes through customs upon disembarkation, but I don't recall any sort of immigration procedure for US citizens. Can someone refresh my memory?

On closed-loop cruises, do US citizens actually have to show their documents to any immigration officials on disembarkation day? I know that everyone goes through customs upon disembarkation, but I don't recall any sort of immigration procedure for US citizens. Can someone refresh my memory?

We clear through US CBP and yes, we are required to show our travel documents. In my case, we always use passports.

I am very curious about your comments and how you define "little trouble"?

I think Mike's comments were very much how the situation would play out in the case of an emergency. It is not foreign governments who would be making things difficult for an American citizen. It is the US government that has all the barriers in place for anyone entering the United States without proper and acceptable identification.

The exact same rules should apply to anyone and everyone entering my country.

If only that was true !

(couldn't resist it)

Thanks

Are you saying your drivers license was in your wallet when it was stolen?

I'm curious as to why you would also have a color copy of your DL?

I'm curious as to why you would also have a color copy of your DL?

You should make copies of all of your documents (photocopy, scan, or simply take a photo of them) and keep them in a safe place away from the originals. Makes it much faster/easier to get replacements if necessary. But the copy cannot itself replace the original in most situations, of course.

(Also use common sense with the copies/files, because they do contain personal info that you should limit other people's access to.)