Princess Transfer or Uber

GoProCruiser

Hey everyone! Quick question. I'm going on the Regal Princess January 8th. This is the first time leaving from Port Everglades. I've been doing some research and curious as to whether I should book a Princess transfer from FLL to the cruise port or take an Uber from FLL to Port Everglades? I think there are 4 or 5 ships in port that day. If I do end up taking a Princess transfer from the airport, are we given certain times on when to board their coaches? I'm staying at a hotel the day before the cruise and my friend lands around 11am the day of the cruise. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much everyone! This is my first Caribbean cruise and first time in Florida so I never thought about looking at the Florida thread. Thanks a bunch!

I figured Uber would be cheaper but I read a couple threads about the traffic jams at Port Everglades and it's better to take a cruise line transfer to the port.

Agree with others, taxi is less expensive, a lot easier. I don't know anything about Uber, but can say a taxi will only cost about $15 for the cab vs. about $19/pp for the Princess transfer, and they are waiting right there. With a Princess transfer you will be gathered together in an area to load on a bus. You may have to wait for more than one flight to arrive before the bus leaves.

Hey everyone! Quick question. I'm going on the Regal Princess January 8th. This is the first time leaving from Port Everglades. I've been doing some research and curious as to whether I should book a Princess transfer from FLL to the cruise port or take an Uber from FLL to Port Everglades? I think there are 4 or 5 ships in port that day. If I do end up taking a Princess transfer from the airport, are we given certain times on when to board their coaches? I'm staying at a hotel the day before the cruise and my friend lands around 11am the day of the cruise. Thanks in advance!

Just take Uber or Lyft from your hotel and have your friend do the same from the airport. Port Everglades -there is always 4 to 5 or more ships in port and should not be a problem. I just took Lyft from my hotel near the airport in November 2016 and it was absolutely no problem . It was easy , in fact couldn't of been better ,it was approximately $12 from the residence Inn -Dania beach to the port and that's without any kind of tip. From the airport itself it's probably a little bit cheaper than that. Definitely no need for a Princess transfer from Fort Lauderdale airport or an area hotel to the port. If you don't have a smart phone a taxi is also perfect.

Even if there is a traffic jam, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

[...]whether I should book a Princess transfer from FLL to the cruise port or take an Uber from FLL to Port Everglades? I'm staying at a hotel the day before the cruise

Since you are arriving the day before your cruise and need transport from FLL to hotel then hotel to Port, Princess transfers will be of no use to you. I know that in some embarkation ports returning to the airport for a transfer after arriving the day before is practical, but with Port Everglades so close to FLL making the transfer from hotel to ship in two steps is nonsensical. If your hotel does not offer a transfer from the airport just jump in a taxi; from the hotel the next morning you can try Uber (if peak rates not in effect Sunday morning) or another taxi.

I have used Uber several times without a problem. Most times the driver had another job or retired and is just picking up some extra money. I can track the driver on my iPhone app and so know exactly when he will pick me. I can prepay and the driver doesn't expect a tip.

Once, I took a cab from the airport to the Embassy Suites. The driver asked for the address. While I was looking it up, he said he found it. He charged me ten dollars for address lookup. He didn't get a tip. I haven't used a cab since.

I have used Uber several times without a problem. Most times the driver had another job or retired and is just picking up some extra money. I can track the driver on my iPhone app and so know exactly when he will pick me. I can prepay and the driver doesn't expect a tip.

Once, I took a cab from the airport to the Embassy Suites. The driver asked for the address. While I was looking it up, he said he found it. He charged me ten dollars for address lookup. He didn't get a tip. I haven't used a cab since.

And you paid him?

We always choose Uber over a taxi in the cities where they are available. They are always less expensive and don't use a meter. I prefer Uber because they don't expect an additional tip, everything is already pre-paid. (I do, however, tip when luggage is handled) One thing I've noticed is that they tend to always be more careful driving and never speed. I've been tempted many times to tell a taxi driver to slow down and that I would pay them extra just to drive within the speed limit. I've never felt uncomfortable with an Uber driver--it's their own car and they take better care of it.

One time a taxi driver after we all got into the taxi and started on our way to the airport from the ship. He told us it will be $10.pp. and he started the meter there were five of us in the taxi it was a SUV. I did not say anything to him. When we got to the airport the meter was at $14.00. That's all I gave him and said let's call a cop and tell him what you're trying to do. He got into the taxi and drove away. There's a sign at the pier telling you they can't do just what he was trying. The sign Is right we're you get into the taxis at the pier in Ft. Lauderdale.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Uber's are fantastic in Fort Lauderdale. They have a special place for them to pull in at the port. Just ask someone where to stand to wait for them Many of the Uber's wait to n a holding place between airport and cruise port. We had an escalade for the four of us with all our luggage and we only paid $14. We have used Uber in other cities and have been very satisfied. I feel safer in them then some taxis we have ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have done shuttles, taxis and Ubers in Fort Lauderdale.

Shuttle- costs $11 dollars and they will wait until they get 9 or 10 people in the van. You can wait a long times. Last time I was on a shuttle, I listened to a very unhappy woman whine to her husband about having to ride in a shuttle. (It is a 10 minute ride...)

Taxi- takes about 10 mines and costs around $15 without tip. Service has always been direct and I have only been asked to pay the fare on the meter. No funny business.

Uber- I have done this 2 times from the airport and once from a hotel. The ride cost about $10 dollars (without tip). The cars were clean. The drivers handled the luggage. There was also a bottle of water available to me in two of three of the rides. The downside- it is harder to get an Uber at port to take you to the airport- it can be pretty chaotic.

So the upshot- I tend to Uber to port and cab back to the airport.

Good luck!