Sea sickness pills - does NCL give them for free?

I am concerned about getting seasick and already bought both regular and non-drowsy Dramamine. But what if I run out? I am reading on here that there are some cruise lines that give out pills for free. Just wondering about NCL.

They sell OTC drugs in Tradewinds, which is their duty free store. But that is not free. The medical center would have other options but would also incur a fee.

Have you tried Bonnie? Aka meclazine? I took one at night, one in the AM and one right before dinner and never had an issue.

Also ginger candies work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am concerned about getting seasick and already bought both regular and non-drowsy Dramamine. But what if I run out? I am reading on here that there are some cruise lines that give out pills for free. Just wondering about NCL.

How would you run out? Follow the daily directions on the medication and multiply by the number of days your cruise is for and add 10 just to be safe.

You should be fine and yes, you can purchase them onboard if needed.

Another option you might want to also look into as well is Sea Band. Acupressure band that people swear works for sea sickness. I bought one "just in case".

I'm a big believer in the Sea Bands. They've worked well for me, especially when sailing much smaller sailing ships. Pretty cheap and very reusable.

I always start taking Bonine a couple of days before the cruise. I take 2 once on board. This has worked well for me and I use to get very sick with seasickness. It is important to start taking your medication before you leave on the cruise and NOT after you get sick. I use to supplement this with Ginger candy and Sea Bands or Queasy Beads. I got courageous though and eased off the candy and Queasy Beads. Btw....the patches make me more sick than seasickness. Hate them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you get really sick, the ship's medical clinic can give you an injection to help with your seasickness. You have to pay for the office visit and medications. The costs are charged to your room bill. No insurance accepted (you have to file a claim with your insurance company after-the-fact).

I got a bit queasy on my very first cruise (out of San Francisco Bay, so the waters were much more rough than around Florida) and the waiter at dinner told me to eat a green apple. Worked wonders and while I have never gotten truly seasick or even queasy again, I do try to eat a green apple every day (just grab one from the buffett). More natural and I don't have to worry about alcohol interactions :D

They sell OTC drugs in Tradewinds, which is their duty free store. But that is not free. The medical center would have other options but would also incur a fee.

Have you tried Bonnie? Aka meclazine? I took one at night, one in the AM and one right before dinner and never had an issue.

Also ginger candies work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonine (meclazine) is the same active ingredient as non drowsy Dramamine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you start to feel queasy, go out to an open deck, get some fresh air, and look at the horizon. My brother-in-law’s advice - he’s a tugboat Captain.

That's the best advice I think. People often make the mistake of going to lie down in their cabin if they start to feel sick -- if it really is seas sickness, that's just about the worst thing you can do.

The minute you feel any kind of queasiness get out on deck and look at the horizon. Sea sickness is a brain/inner ear thing.

....the patches make me more sick than seasickness. Hate them.

None of the cruise lines recommend dermal patches any longer because of adverse reactions. I sailed with a woman who reacted to the patch and it amplified all of the effects of sea sickness. After a $650 excursion to Deck 1 (medical) where they removed the patch and medication, she was fine for the remainder of the cruise. Expensive lesson: avoid the patch and always get the travel protection insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Why are you concerned about seasickness? Most people do not get seasickness on a cruise ship, outside of a little queasiness the first day or rough seas. I get sea sick all the time BUT I also get motion sick in a variety of situations at home. If you don’t already have motion sickness issues then you will most likely be fine onboard

2. Bonine/dramamine work best as preventatives, not treatment. So it’s not like ib profin where you may be popping 1-2 pills up to 4 times a day. 1 pill twice a day is the recommended dosage. That’s what I do and it works well. So running out isn’t an issue. Know before I get onboard how many are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums