Moderno Churrascaria

camper49

Opinions? The good,bad & the ugly....

Salad bar was great, the meat was really terrible to me. I️ am

Used to fogo dr chao type restaurants, and I️ think I was really disappointed. It’s like eating meat grilled under the oven broiler vs really good grilled meats I’ve eaten elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was disappointed by the salad bar. Everything I had read about it, most people raved about the salad bar and the cheese bread (also disappointing). I have seen better salad bars and breads in college dining halls.

I thought most of the meats were o.k. except one that was exceptional - I believe it was called picanha - delicious. I tend not to be a big meat eater anyway so a lot of the appeal was lost on me. The grilled pineapple was great as were the desserts. On my next cruise, however, I definitely plan on going back because my husband is a big meat eater and he has never been. I believe he would love it.

We went on the Dawn a couple of years ago (pre-drydock where it was moved). The salad bar was "ehh". We were seated in a lower section, so the waiter carrying the food had to pass most tables before getting to us. There was a large group there, so a lot of the time, he never got to us. Plus, my wife got sick. Had planned to eat there other times during the cruise (we had the SDP package), but ended up in Cagneys most nights.

Tried it a few times on two different ships. The meats were always dried out. We are done with Moderno. NCL can't pull off the concept. Save your money. Find a Fogo on land.

This is almost verbatim what I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there any Fish or Chicken at Merdones? Hubby is not a red meat eater.

You mean Moderno? They do have chicken that they come around with. I don't recall any fish, though.

Here is the menu: http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/m223_moderno.pdf.

Edited by JerseyMom
To add menu link

My friend and I tried Moderno on this last cruise on the Pearl. I'm in the 'save your money' group. The salad bar was ok, the dessert menu was a huge disappointment. And the meat was ok, except for the chicken -it was under cooked. I took one bite and realize it, but my friend almost had eaten half of it. Yep! She got food poisoning. At least it was at the tail end of our cruise. So no more Moderno for me!

This is what I thought when we first tried it in 2014 on Breakaway. Gave it another shot in '15 and totally avoided it in '16 on the Gem.

Thiswas the restaurant I was most excited to try. I love Churrascaria'sand was really looking forward to this meal. From being to othersand reading the reviews we knew not to fill ourselves up from thesalad bar. By doing this, it seems we threw the wait staff for aloop. They came up a couple of times to remind us about it, eachtime we told them they were fine without. Then the maitre' d came tocheck, when we told him we were waiting for the meat they finallybrought us our plates. The first thing they brought us was thesirloin which was amazing. Then they brought over chunks of thefilet and garlic steak, both were very dry. Then came the lamb chops,which were very tasty but dry. Not as dry as the previous meats, butdry none the less. After that everything went down hill. ThePortuguese sausage was dry and not really tasty, as was the chickenwrapped in bacon. Even though we had the card turned to green thewhole time, they stopped bringing us food. They finally came over andasked about dessert. I commented that we haven't yet received thechorizo nor the beef ribs. I should have taken the hint when theyasked about dessert. The chorizo was dry and tasteless and the beefribs were sliced, while juicy, still lacking taste. This was a verydisappointing meal.

I thought it was just OK last summer on the Sun. The salad bar was the best part for me, as most of the meats were overcooked for my taste. I did enjoy the chicken and the pineapple. They were my favorites. We asked for the fish cooked in banana leaves (they don't just walk around with them) and it was pretty good. Service was good and the meats just kept on coming, so if you like well done meat and lots of it, you will probably enjoy it.

My carnivore 19 year old son quite enjoyed himself.

Our next cruise will just be my husband and myself and I think we will skip Moderno.

The general feeling I've gathered from reviews on CC and elsewhere is that if you've never been to a Brazilian steakhouse, you'll love it (if you like meat, obviously). If you have one in your town, it's probably better than Moderno's.

Personally I like the lamb chops and my wife loves the pineapple. We also really like the bread. The beef cuts are really hit and miss, even within the same service. The salad bar was great on the Breakaway but pretty limited on the Jewel.

Tried it a few times on two different ships. The meats were always dried out. We are done with Moderno. NCL can't pull off the concept. Save your money. Find a Fogo on land.

Totally agree, meat dry and way over salted.

I won't go back.

Frankly we were not impressed with it on the Jade. (We liked all the other specialty restaurants we went to on the Jade - Le Bistro (our favorite), La Cucina and Tepanyaki. The food at Moderno was just "OK" and the guys with the meats were pretty prompt. Our waitress was the poorest we have ever had. She seemed to not understand her job at all. We did not get our sides until the meal was nearly over . Water glasses were never refilled - many other things. BTW Service at all the other restaurants was excellent.

We ate at Moderno's a few years ago and loved it, especially the salad bar. Just off the Pearl and it was just ok. Maybe my memory was bad, but the salad bar didn't feel that spectacular this time around. DH loves soup at salad bars and for the first time ever, he complained because it was too salty. I don't mean "this is too salty for my personal taste"... it was like a mistake in the recipe. I guess a few people tried it and agreed, the chef came out and apologized and they immediately replaced the soup kettle.

We had 4 dinners and did Le Bistro twice, Cagneys once and Modernos. Le Bistro was really rich food, regretted doing it twice. Cagneys was ok, but it didn't feel nearly as upscale as it used to. More like a mid-range steakhouse with no ambience.

I love NCL but the restaurant situation on this most recent cruise left a lot of room for improvement.

~Denise

The chowder was up to the usual excellent standard. The salad bar wasn't as good as previously but that might have been due to us going on the last night of a long cruise.We have had fish and shrimp there but you have to order it. The meat was good and not dry but we did choose carefully. Service was good even though it was quite full. Jewel was the ship.