Bringing Snow Ski's on a Alaska Cruise?

need2cruisesoon

Just curious if anybody has ever brought snow skis (cross country) on an Alaska cruise.

I am on a NCL Bliss AK cruise in June and plan on doing some snow skiing when possible.

Thanks,

Have you thought this out? At what port would you plan to do it? How would you get to a ski are from the port? Do you know where there would be such areas convenient to your scheduled ports? Have you travelled with skis?

Guess I’m not sure where you’re going to stop at on your cruise....but I’d be very surprised to hear you found much snow on the panhandle in June. Take it from an Alaskan, you’d be much better off with a pair of waders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious if anybody has ever brought snow skis (cross country) on an Alaska cruise.

I am on a NCL Bliss AK cruise in June and plan on doing some snow skiing when possible.

Thanks,

Highly unlikely you be able to even access any snow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really,need2cruise soon,another thread ?

Amazing that people take your musings seriously.

Espadrilles,track suits and now skis?

Musings?

Not really, we skied all last winter through mid-July in the California high Sierra's.

I'm sure I can find the white stuff in early June, I understand there is a ski resort outside Juneau.

Musings?

Not really, we skied all last winter through mid-July in the California high Sierra's.

I'm sure I can find the white stuff in early June, I understand there is a ski resort outside Juneau.

The "high" Sierras (hell, the "low" Sierras) e.g., Squaw in the north or Mammoth in the south have base elevations exceeding 5,000 feet. Juneau is less than 100' above sea level. Keep dreamin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dude, you need to brush up on your geography. Or maybe look at the projected closing dates of the ski resorts. You're going to be about 2 months too late for skiing. But those skis will make great places to hang all those track suits you're so fond of.

Musings?

What similarity do you think there might be between the High Sierras (10,000 ft. +/-) and Juneau (up to 1,000 ft.)?

And are you aware that the only ways to get from Juneau to anywhere else is by plane or ship?

Ok, having a frustrating morning researching a port on my cruise next year (can’t find anything on actually spending the day in the port town...ugh!) so i took the bait and did some research for need2cruisesoon....I know, I’m crazy, but I knew it would be easy to do.

The Eagle Crest Ski area, known as Juneau’s winter playground does talk about summer activities. But, those activities are hiking and mountain biking, not skiing.

But wait....I found one person on trip advisor that had cross country skied in June. They hiked in to a backcountry forest cabin and had so much snow there they had to dig the cabin out before entering. They were able to do lots of cross country skiing. However, they definitely weren’t on a cruise. OP: Go for it....forget the cruise and do a land trip to the backcountry if you want to cross country ski in Alaska in June.

FYI: Took me 5 minutes or less to get this info through google searches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks,

Where do you think you might do this. There is no snow near any of the ports you will be visiting in June. The temps might be as high as 80 degrees. Might be a cold as 50 but neither is snow weather. If you are going to ski, you are going to have to fly to somewhere to do so, and that still might be difficult because even Alyaska Resort is closed then.

Even if was winter, sounds like more trouble and inconvenience than it's worth. Just my opinion - if I want to ski, I'm heading directly to the mountains, not on board a ship. That said, if an opportunity exists on the trip, I think renting equipment is a better way to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk