Reminder: EDL & GEC ARE NOT VALID for International Travel

TylerRose

We have just returned from a family reunion cruise that was nearly destroyed by an embarkation fiasco.

2 cruisers left passports behind, and 2 were sure their Enhanced Driver's Licence (EDL) & Global Entry Cards (GEC) would be sufficient identification.

Please do not judge... but read this posting as a reminder and advice to not make our mistakes.

You MUST have a passport or a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID for embarkation on any cruise ship that will leave the United States. This includes closed-loop cruises beginning & ending in the same port.

EDL & GEC ARE NOT VALID for International Travel.

We were separated from our "carded" family & seated off to the left side of the ships terminal… (I shall call it from here on: “the wall of shame”)

We then participated in a time sensitive attempt to obtain a copy of birth certificates to be emailed to the person in charge.

A photo sent of a passport or passport cards are not acceptable- their photos can be altered?

Next, the emailed documents must print out. The print out must read clearly- only then can the copy of the birth certificate be considered for acceptance or denial.

We were fortunate to have a family member able to get to our home, obtain birth certificates, & get them sent off.

Another in our group hired a lawyer to obtain his documents. (I have no idea what he could have done had it been on the weekend or a holiday.)

We were attempting to board a Carnival Cruise Ship sailing out of Orlando where their Internet was very poor. Limited internet access added to the stress of emails…

2 more hours passed before the files were repeatedly printed & finally accepted.

We sat on “the wall of shame" from 10:45- 3:58!

My husband pacing frantically- making phone calls… sending email after email… checking for updates at the securities desk.

We were the very last to board.

We carried all our own luggage on board…& on to lifeboat drill currently in progress.

Thankfully... it was smoother sailing from there...

Not judging, just want to ask a question, as an EDL is in fact a WHTI compliant document for a closed loop cruise. Was everyone in your party from Texas? I believe you or they may be confusing "Real ID" driver's licenses with "Enhanced Driver's License". The only states that I know of that are issuing EDL's are: Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, and New York. All other states are issuing "Real ID" licenses which are not WHTI compliant, and would not be acceptable for a cruise.

As for Global Entry, this only expedites the customs clearance, you must still present a passport at the GE kiosk. The Global Entry card can only be used at SENTRI and NEXUS lanes for land crossings, and no port has these.

I can understand the Global Entry confusion, because the front of the card does state the country of citizenship, and you must have a passport in order to get one. Don't know about the EDL, since I've never seen one. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Not judging, just want to ask a question, as an EDL is in fact a WHTI compliant document for a closed loop cruise. Was everyone in your party from Texas? I believe you or they may be confusing "Real ID" driver's licenses with "Enhanced Driver's License". The only states that I know of that are issuing EDL's are: Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, and New York. All other states are issuing "Real ID" licenses which are not WHTI compliant, and would not be acceptable for a cruise.

As for Global Entry, this only expedites the customs clearance, you must still present a passport at the GE kiosk. The Global Entry card can only be used at SENTRI and NEXUS lanes for land crossings, and no port has these.

Texas had a rare ice & snow storm. The airline called after canceling our flight the next day locally & offered us a flight that evening if we could drive through the storm to DFW within 4 hours. In the rush, I left my carry on behind. So, I accept full responsibility for the passport mishap.

The other was a Florida resident and says he has an EDL. He was denied ship access with his EDL & GEC. He had read it was acceptable repeatedly and was adamant it should be. But in the end- Carnival had the final say and said they would not accept it.

Exactly this. Many, many people are confusing the licenses issued under the REAL ID act with Enhanced Drivers Licenses. I have an EDL since I live in one of the states issuing them and can attest that I have used it to board a cruise and to cross into Canada. This is one of the things that I feared would happen with REAL ID- people are confusing two different documents.

Texas had a rare ice & snow storm. The airline called after canceling our flight the next day locally & offered us a flight that evening if we could drive through the storm to DFW within 4 hours. In the rush, I left my carry on behind. So, I accept full responsibility for the passport mishap.

The other was a Florida resident and says he has an EDL. He was denied ship access with his EDL & GEC. He had read it was acceptable repeatedly and was adamant it should be. But in the end- Carnival had the final say and said they would not accept it.

Florida does not issue EDLs so he was confused by what he had. I'm glad you were able to finally board.

So this long trope comes down to the simple fact that two people in the OP's party concluded for themselves without doing any research, or apparently even reading the ID requirements on the cruise line web site, that (1) a REAL-ID compliant driver license is the equivalent of an Enhanced Driver License; and (2) a Global Entry card provides proof of citizenship the same as some other Trusted Traveler Programs such as NEXUS do. This despite none of the necessary screening that is done for the acceptable documents was done when the documents they were carrying were issued.

I would have just boarded and been prepared to wave to them at the dock during sailaway,

I thought the Real ID and Enhanced Drivers Licenses were the same....Man what confusion this has created. Currently only 5 states offer the true RFID Enhanced Drivers Licenses, I think all of those States border Canada. Maybe this is the trial for the EDL? Fortunately I have a Passport and carry when traveling. Have a GE card too for international travel.

In the US, Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are available only to US citizens, who must prove citizenship by showing a valid US passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate showing birth in the US. This is different than REAL ID driver’s licenses, which are available both to US citizens and to legal US alien residents. Another difference between EDLs and REAL ID licenses is that Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are slightly more expensive than standard licenses, and REAL ID licenses do not have additional fees. Additionally, Enhanced Driver’s Licenses contain an RFID chip, just like a biometric passport, but other REAL ID licenses do not.

Just go to the U.S. Customs and Border Protections web site. It lists all the docs that they accept. Do a documents needed for a closed loop cruise.

Actually the best place to verify what documents are accepted is the cruise line's website; their list is usually more concise and to the point.

All to often you see on threads like this responses consisting of cutting and pasting from the CBP website the information on reentering the USA by sea on a private vessel rather than on a cruise by common carrier. Even when specifically searching for the info for closed-loop cruises the private vessel rules still pop up. Which is still no excuse for not knowing the rules--see the OP's hypocritical "no judgments" request followed by their giant "blame game" accusing the government and cruise line of giving false info and acting improperly; allegations of course contradicted by the facts they present.

(Especially if you are travelling with children you must verify exactly what the cruise line expects. Many require passports of children sailing with only one parent/legal guardian even if a closed loop cruise. And whether a Consular Certificate of US Citizen Born Abroad is accepted as a birth certificate is again entirely up to the cruise line).

as a resident of Florida, I can assure you we do not as yet have EDLs. my father is a Resident of NY and does have an EDL, which saved his bacon and his last cruise as he was a doofus and left the passport on the hallway table( if you ever saw said table you will understand why it was missed)

Just go to the U.S. Customs and Border Protections web site. It lists all the docs that they accept. Do a documents needed for a closed loop cruise.

That website and the cruise line's website do say that EDLs may be used for cruises. The trouble is people thinking that they have an EDL when in fact they don't. It comes from using inexact language and not fully understanding the difference.

My EDL cost me 94.50 and can be used for travel to Canada and the Caribbean and Mexico, BY land and sea. However, it cannot be used for air travel. It came with a protective sleeve to keep it in for the RFID safety. It also has an American Flag in the lower corner.

The cruise lines "recommend" everyone has a valid passport, for situations that may arise and you would need to fly home. IF something does arise and you would need to fly home, IF you only sailed with the EDL, you cannot be prevented from entering the US, but additional screening would be required.

Why not Global Entry Card?

From CBP.Gov

WHTI-compliant documents include a valid passport, U.S. Passport Card, Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST, or Global Entry) or an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) available in the states of New York, Michigan, Washington, Minnesota and Vermont and in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

and

Global Entry cards

are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel.

When I got mine, I was told that I could bring the card when traveling if I wanted to but that I didn't need to--and that I'd still need my passport either way. I have to admit, ever since I got it, I've wondered what that frigging card is for.

From CBP.Gov

WHTI-compliant documents include a valid passport, U.S. Passport Card, Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST, or Global Entry) or an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) available in the states of New York, Michigan, Washington, Minnesota and Vermont and in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

and

Global Entry cards

are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel.

Could you kindly supply an exact link to where you found the above?

Because on both the WHTI splash page:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.

...and the WHTI FAQs document:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_landsea_faq_3.pdf

What types of documents are accepted as of June 1, 2009 for entry into the UnitedStates via land or sea by U.S. and Canadian citizens?U.S. citizen adult travelers can present a valid:

• U.S. Passport; Passport Card;• Enhanced Driver’s License;• Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST);• U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders;• U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling on official business; or• Form I-872 American Indian Card; or• Enhanced Tribal Card (when available).

...Global Entry is definitely excluded from the list of acceptable Trusted Traveler Program documents.

(accessed January 24, 2018 11:09 PM EST)

Could you kindly supply an exact link to where you found the above?

)

I just googled "WHTI compliance and Global Entry"

As posted in my original thread, these answers came from cbp.gov and they were parts of FAQ's on the cbp.gov web page.

Duh!!! The FAQ doc is from 2009.

As for the CBP web note: Just because someone forgot to put "e.g." In front of the examples of Trusted Traveler cards doesn't mean that the missing centerpiece of the program, Global Entry, is not valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if you have a global entry card you still are required to use your machine-readable passport at the immigration kiosk at airports where GE is available.

Yes. In fact, the CBP website says you do not have to carry the card unless you are using it for border crossing from the US. Passport only for international air travel. And GE can be used as ID for domestic US air travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I got mine, I was told that I could bring the card when traveling if I wanted to but that I didn't need to--and that I'd still need my passport either way. I have to admit, ever since I got it, I've wondered what that frigging card is for.

You need it for short Global Entry line at some pre-clearance airports. I have needed it in Canadian airports to access the GE line.

Was that you that made this John Heald's problem? There was a nasty post on his book of faces page with this very story. Lessons learned, I suppose. Do you think you'll get your family passports after this?

I traveled on this carnival cruise as part of a family reunion. I only visited Carnivals fb site after comments on CC about Fays posting. No... I am not Fay, but to those on CC who have decided I am blaming carnival for my error- that won't matter. Somewheres a long the way... some members of CC have grown more defensive of their own travel & less so of sharing insight & advice.

My immediate family members all have passports. They have never been left behind before. I was fortunate to have a family member to retrieve documents and send them. And another in our extended group was able to hire someone to obtain his documents.

The purpose of my original post was to warn others to have correct travel documents... and how not having them was dealt with on the day we traveled on our specific voyage.

I will not be posting again on any CC board on this subject.