How to make your Carnival cruise special?

Hi!

We have booked a Christmas cruise on Carnival Magic because of the interesting ports. It is our first time on Carnival (cruised with other cruise lines, mostly Royal and Celebrity). I started to hesitate and wanted to cancel but unfortunately it is not possible because of the high cancelling fees (we live in northern Europe so we have a different kind of cancellation policy).

Now I am thinking we have to make the best of it. Do you have any suggestions for the cruise? How to make a Carnival cruise extra special? I have made a steakhouse reservation for the Christmas Eve. We booked a spa inside cabin so we can escape the crowds. Something else?

I appreciate any comments.

Definitely get the Cheers package. Make the most of the thalassotherapy pool. Utilize the Serenity deck whenever possible. If you have younger kids traveling, use the Camp Ocean benefit. Go to the sea day brunches and turn it into a 2 hour affair.

To me if it up to you if you want to make it special. I always try to be positive and have fun.

Totally agree...special is in the memories...so make them...enjoy that you are not at work but on vacation and be happy and have fun...

Personally for me what makes my cruise special is just being with my family....not being at work....having a whole day full of a multitude of options/activities available to me....(ok and the Cheers package too...lol).

I truly believe the worst day on vacation is still always better then the best day at work and I never let the little things get to me....someone else's attire, lack of table cloth etc....

if you are foodies, don't miss the Chef's table. I think you really snoozed on an inside cabin. Our balcony is our sanctuary. Every morning we have room service as our wake up call, coffee, juice, fruit and danish. What a way to start the day. We always get a Spa balcony where available. It's the quietest deck on the ship, love it. Steps from the Spa and the Serenity area, aaaah

Definitely get the Cheers package.

If the OP doesn't drink this is only going to make his cruise more expensive. :cool:

I would recommend the Behind the Scenes tour especially if this is your first Carnival cruise.

Why did you start to hesitate and think of cancelling?

That's what I would like to know. Maybe someone told them that Carnival is the "Walmart" of the seas? I was just told that a few weeks ago, of course by people that have never cruised. I LOVE Carnival for the fun atmosphere! We have been on RC and Princess (several times), I choose to go with Carnival. I think the food is better (more free options) and the service is better. JMHO :)

Definitely get the Cheers package. Make the most of the thalassotherapy pool. Utilize the Serenity deck whenever possible. If you have younger kids traveling, use the Camp Ocean benefit. Go to the sea day brunches and turn it into a 2 hour affair.

You don't have to get the Cheers package to make it special. That is soooooooo subjective and should be out of scope for this discussion.

What I do to make each cruise special -plan. Research the ports I am going to, and choose excursions that both the DH and I would enjoy. We do not stay on board, and think we are seeing the world that way.

The stewards used to put chocolate on the pillow when they came in at night and did the nightly turn down, they don't anymore, so I bring chocolate and put a Dove on DH's pillow-we call it the chocolate chaser-for after his meds at night.

We order water so we can have cold water at night, and since we are not big into the dance/party thing, we find quiet places on the ship. We like going to the back by the Waterworks to spend late afternoons, and relax. We watch movies together (which we never seem to do at home). My DH has cancer, and any day with him is special. Our vacation time together is even more special.

If you want special, remember the crew on Christmas. Thank them that are working on your holiday. Enjoy the decorated ship, the ugly Christmas sweater contest, and most of all each other.

That's what I would like to know. Maybe someone told them that Carnival is the "Walmart" of the seas? I was just told that a few weeks ago, of course by people that have never cruised. I LOVE Carnival for the fun atmosphere! We have been on RC and Princess (several times), I choose to go with Carnival. I think the food is better (more free options) and the service is better. JMHO :)

I have cruised on Princess the past 2 years and thoroughly loved it. But when I went looking for an Hawaii cruise, especially at 2 weeks long, I felt Princess might not keep my interest all of the time. I have read and heard many things about Carnival, and the most common word I hear is FUN. So I am going to Hawaii in December on Carnival. I have really enjoyed reading people's opinions, good and bad, but it is my cruise to enjoy.

• 3 months later...

I read somewhere recently that we bring the weather to our picnic! For me super true. I had to learn and choose flexibility, from my spouse. just won't let stuff ruin a cruise for me. Love cruising too much. Also treasure time with my husband. Nobody knows when opportunities might end.

Bring a tablecloth for the MDR on night when they don't have them.

As long as YOU are the one responsible for washing it afterwards.

Really, folks.....do all threads have to disintegrate into what everyone perceives is wrong with Carnival? :rolleyes:

BJ22 is one of those posters. I'm hardly a Carnival apologist, but bringing up a 4-month old thread just to post what he did is asinine.

I see you're one of those posters who assumes the gender of another member. I'm a female with kids (and stretch marks) to prove it!

As long as YOU are the one responsible for washing it afterwards.

Really, folks.....do all threads have to disintegrate into what everyone perceives is wrong with Carnival? :rolleyes:

Agreed. We have cruised many times and enjoy fine dining restaurants often at home. And to be honest, one day off of the Dream, I didn't even realize there was no table cloth. If that's your only gage for fine dining..........

Hi!

We have booked a Christmas cruise on Carnival Magic because of the interesting ports. It is our first time on Carnival (cruised with other cruise lines, mostly Royal and Celebrity). I started to hesitate and wanted to cancel but unfortunately it is not possible because of the high cancelling fees (we live in northern Europe so we have a different kind of cancellation policy).

Now I am thinking we have to make the best of it. Do you have any suggestions for the cruise? How to make a Carnival cruise extra special? I have made a steakhouse reservation for the Christmas Eve. We booked a spa inside cabin so we can escape the crowds. Something else?

I appreciate any comments.

The first thing we do is turn off our phones and put them in the room safe. We do no internet plans. We are on vacation and do not have to keep in touch. For emergencies they can call Carnival with our Ship name. Then we relax, enjoy, and try not to find fault with anything.