No straws, what are my options?

phoenix1181

This is a big issue for people with disabilities. Some cannot drink independently or at all without a straw. Making them carry their own straws instead of having them available upon request is an additional burden on them.

My uncle was confined to a wheelchair his whole life do to CP, he was born in 1938. Ever since I remember he carried and used his own straw every place he went

We brought stainless steel, and they worked great. No, we never ran back to our room to clean them. We would clean them at the end of the day, or if we happened to be back at our room in the middle of the day. The rest of the time, it would mostly move directly from one drink to the next, or get tossed into my wristlet. No big deal. I knew I wasn't going to die of some disease from my own straw if I wasn't completely sanitizing it after every use.

Your post. Well, it is just too... sensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe we will see the return of the paper straws. That's all I used for years and years and years of my life. But yea...you gotta have a straw for a milk shake....or Pina Colada.

Or a spoon. That is what mom gave us at home. We never had straws.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

okay...(2) things:

1. we have seen posts where people are carrying their straws around the ship...but not in their pockets...the popular thing to do is to slide the straw (non drinking end) into your sock...almost all the way down as to conceal the stray from peeking out...with just enough room on the end to grasp it when needed...also once you place the used straw back into your sock..the sock actuall drys the straw for future use.. (i know right?? genius)

2. Why is it on the passengers to come up with solutions...cant NCL create a enclosed lid that has a drinking "spout" built into newly designed lids...like starbucks is doing??

1) Eeeewwww again! The part of the straw that you put into the drink is STILL in your foot! Aaagghhh

2) LOL ... grown up sippy cups.

I have a buddy who bites both ends of a strawberry flavored "twizzler" and uses it as a straw...maybe NCL can offer twizzlers with the drinks...i guess they would have to hire someone to "pre-bite" both ends before they hand them out...lol

I was going to suggest Twizzlers!! I’ve used them as straws before. It may not be the best for thick frozen drinks, but works for regular liquid drinks just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the winner! I'll start looking for paper straws to bring & although I don't generally carry any type of handbag while cruising, I'll find something to carry them in.

I actually found a pack of 24 paper straws in the party supply section of Dollar Tree. They seem to be really stiff and sturdy. I am with you. For some reason I get the face of ice also..plop!

Adapting to change is difficult for some, and I guess straws are included on cruise lines.

But it is amazing that pax come on a public forum asking for advice on trivial things.

Why not? If it’s trivial to you don’t read it. Didn’t you have professors who told you there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers?

I think I’ll start a thread about the meaning of life and the fact that cruises are really existential manifestations of a supreme being’s imaginative dreams of ordinariness.

Wow!

Lots of responses and opinions. Some good, others not so much.

I like that the biodegradable straws are wrapped so I'm going to give them a try. BUT........... I love Twizzlers so I'll bring some of those as well. They'll be perfect for my vodka & tonic!

after seeing all the nattering about this issue, I took it upon myself to purchase some reusable silicone straws, that came with a nice little carry bag. I also stopped by the $ store today and found insulated travel mugs. I only need them to last for the 16 days we're on the ship, I personally find the beverage glasses available at the drink stations too small, which is why I always bring my own travel cup.

And as to how I'll carry those straws around the ship................in my cup is how they'll be carried, thank you very much.

the little things that are important to me, I take on as my responsibility, that way I'm less likely to wench and whinge about my trip being less than perfect, or even ruined because the cruiseline failed to provide something that I thought was important........like straws.

just my 2 cents worth

Edited by tutuwahineLV
another thought....

It would be enormously helpful for the environment if they don't put straws in drinks unless they are requested. There are honestly people with disabilities who actually need straws in order to drink, and I'd hope that bartenders would be able to give them straws upon request. Other people who don't need straws can will generally stop using them if they're not automatically given.

It would be enormously helpful for the environment if they don't put straws in drinks unless they are requested. There are honestly people with disabilities who actually need straws in order to drink, and I'd hope that bartenders would be able to give them straws upon request. Other people who don't need straws can will generally stop using them if they're not automatically given.

I really can't agree that "it would be enormously helpful for the environment if they don't put straws in drinks unless they are requested". If we really want to do something we need to stop cruising! Lots of people fly to port and the cruiseships also pollute a lot! Are we prepared to do that?

Of course it's better to do small things than nothing but I do think it's a little ridiculous to say that it's a big thing to skip the straws in the drinks on cruise ships when other things are so much worse. Some airlines also get rid of the stirrers in the drinks to save the environment!

I agree that it's good if straws aren't automatically given, since even small things counts, but they should have them if people ask for them.

Why not? If it’s trivial to you don’t read it. Didn’t you have professors who told you there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers?

I think I’ll start a thread about the meaning of life and the fact that cruises are really existential manifestations of a supreme being’s imaginative dreams of ordinariness.

If you do i bet it doesn't get as many views as this ;)