The 14 Worst Cruise Ships on the CDC's Sanitary Inspection List

tdeyette

I tend to read articles like this with a grain of salt so to say, but I’m disheartened to find the Crown Princess number 4 on the list, with a failing grade. (especially since we just booked on her for 2019)

Hope this is a wake-up call and things are set straight.

We have really enjoyed cruising on Emerald in the past so we are hoping to find a similar experience on the Crown.

link to article here:

https://www.thestreet.com/amp/slideshow/14200433/1/the-14-worst-cruise-ships-on-the-cdc-s-inspection-list.html

I sure hope the crew on the Crown get their act together since we have one booked on that ship as well. The last time we were on the Crown (2 yrs. ago), everything went just fine. But, after seeing that score, it is definitely worrisome. I hope it encourages them to work really hard in improving their cleaning processes. Kinda makes you wonder if this has contributed to some of the reported illnesses onboard this particular ship.

I was surprised to see the Oceania Regatta and the 2 RCI ships but with crews changing out all the time, it could just be a matter of poor leadership when new crew come onboard. Who knows? Hope they improve!

The first thought I had when I saw the thread title was "Crown Princess". That poor ship has had far too many issues.

One thing to consider with this article, though, is that ships don't have to report issues while in Europe, so for instance, the Celebrity cruise I just disembarked with a huge noro outbreak probably won't even be mentioned in the US, other than by Pax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off of the phone with the public relations department at Princess, and they assured me that there have been no recent bad inspections of the Crown. I'm guessing that this article is what they refer to as "click bait".

I am sure Princess doesn't appreciate the negative publicity. Since I will be on the Crown in the Fall, I am going to think positively. In most businesses, if something 'bad' is published, the people at the top, throw all kinds of people at the problem to make it better. Hopefully, it will be excessively monitored (to the point that the crew is driven crazy with the required cleanliness) now to avoid a repeat.....

That's the positive spin anyway.... ;)

The inspection in question is from early April, seems like lots of minor stuff. The article leads you to believe it's much worse.

I agree, I have chipped paint at home.

Believe me, the kitchens in our own homes are filthy compared to most commercial kitchens, simply because of the surfaces we choose for designer purposes instead of health and safety.

On the link where you read the report, towards he top, on the right is a link to "view corrective action statement"

Thanks! I saw it but didn't know I had to click on "acknowledge" in order to see it.

We were on the Crown 2 years ago. We were delayed boarding due to a noro outbreak. It was a nightmare of a cruise because many got I'll on the cruise. We're going to be on the Crown in October, we hope things have mellowed out. Not at all surprised at the Carnival Legend. Our cabin was aft and there was a continuous smell of rotting garbage on our deck near the aft stairs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Here is a link to the actual CDC scores:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

These reports are very important to all cruise lines and taken quite seriously. It can even end careers of some key ship personnel. To the "Oceania" fan who takes the report with " a grain of salt" we suggest that is like just closing your eyes to a major facet in the cruise industry.

Hank

These reports are a snapshot in time, just like restaurant inspections. One bad score is not indicative of a standing problem, inspectors vary as does ships' staff. Sometimes doing the inspection at different ports will yield different results, there can be a lot of recent turnover, etc.

The lines look at trends so if they notice a trend of bad inspections following a certain EC for example (or staff captain etc), that person may not be long in that position in the fleet.

Prior to the 84, the last three on the crown were 94,98,94 for example. With only one <90 prior, 84 is bad but not a critical level.

On a single inspection basis, look at the types of issues and for recurring issues- On the 84 for the crown there were two serious and system issues, badly maintained equipment and poor ice machine maintenance (the rest were primarily paperwork and minimal insect issues). Those two items would concern me as ice machines are a major contamination risk and poorly maintained equipment is indicative of not enough attention being paid to maintenance. Looking at the corrective action report, the mixers were removed and the ice machines got a thorough cleaning, that said, if the same issues were found on a second inspection that would have me reconsidering cruising this particular vessel for a while.

(Side note - it is almost impossible to completely remove pests from food service, while they have to be noted, a single fly or two in a few locations really should not be considered a deducted violation in my book.)

I just got off of the phone with the public relations department at Princess, and they assured me that there have been no recent bad inspections of the Crown. I'm guessing that this article is what they refer to as "click bait".

With all due respect, it sounds like Princess lied to you. I'd certainly say the 4/8/17 report qualifies as a "recent bad inspection".