Mariner of the Seas Refurbishment

I am sailing on the Mariner of the Seas out of Dubai on April 22, 2018. After my cruise, Mariner of the Seas is going into dry dock for a major refurbishment. I just received an email from the Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor Society Member Director regarding my cruise. In addition to providing some information about the Crown and Anchor benefits, they said:

"Lastly, we will be getting a head start on Mariner’s makeover, so you may encounter some work underway on the last voyage before arriving in Barcelona. While this should not impact your vacation, we wanted to make sure you are aware of our plans. Our staff will do their best to accommodate you while onboard, and if normal operations are affected, we'll make sure you know as soon as possible via detailed in-stateroom communications. In the meantime, you can visit our Crown & Anchor Society website to review your member benefits. Thank you for your understanding."

At the time I made my reservations, I had done some research and according to Royal Caribbean's website, Mariner was supposed to be refurbished in 2017 so I had no idea this was going to be going on during my cruise. After seeing the recent news stories about the Norwegian Sun, I have some real concerns about the "head start" they will be getting on the refurbishment.

Has anyone had any experiences with this type of work on a cruise?

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

I'm crossing my fingers that there won't be anything too disruptive for you. I would think that the industry would have taken note after the recent Norwegian publicity!

I think the Norwegian situation won't have much impact on Mariner. Plans for Mariner have been made for some time and I doubt there would be time to change them.

This is BAD!(n)

Not really, why always so negative? Worst I experienced cruising right before a couple Dry Dock's was replacement of Carpet type work while in port. No venues usually closed unless replacing. Actually experienced more inconvenience during routine maintenance that is done year round. I'm on Serenade every year after she returns from Europe and Boston. They schedule that time, Nov/Dec to repaint everything that's white! Also they do remove and sand/refinish railings. That takes about a week so you may have a Balcony cabin and that week you might not have the wood railing...

Article on NCLhttps://www.insideedition.com/cruise-ship-passengers-stage-mutiny-after-theyre-bombarded-construction-noise-42235

I haven’t read on these boards Royal doing something quite disruptive.

Agree. Only time I remember was when they did the 2006 Majesty top to bottom Dry Dock-Refurbish. Majesty had to add Balcony's as they had now and gut the 2 story WindJammer adding a Johnny Rockets and make the ship NOT look like the 1980's. They replaced furnishings on whole ship... They did start work on that one last cruise before a 6 week Dry Dock

• 1 month later...

The whole back half of the ship is getting made over.

I would suspect anything in that area right now will become unavailable on the cruise. So mini-golf, rock climbing, flow rider if they have one, sports court.

The whole back half of the ship is getting made over.

I would suspect anything in that area right now will become unavailable on the cruise. So mini-golf, rock climbing, flow rider if they have one, sports court.

The ship is in drydock in Cadiz right now.

Did you run into an issues on your cruise? I really hope not.

Not at all. We would occasionally see contractors walking around but they were not disruptive. A couple times I heard power tools but that could happen on any cruise. Based on the amount of trash they were dumping at our ports, there was work being done behind the scenes but it did not cause any problems.

• 1 month later...
I am sailing on the Mariner of the Seas out of Dubai on April 22, 2018. After my cruise, Mariner of the Seas is going into dry dock for a major refurbishment.

Has anyone had any experiences with this type of work on a cruise?

Yes , both times following dry dock . I was surprised because we were 3 weeks and about 6 weeks from drydock . Even more surprising, on the 6 week out cruise they were replacing the carpeting in the corridors and in some cases in cabins . The smell of glue was pretty strong but not in our cabin .

I got the feeling that reducing the length of dry dock was of the highest priority . Having said that , the greatest inconvenience we encountered was unfinished whirlpools . Not a big deal .

Any idea when this will be making the transatlantic trip over to Miami? I am sailing on July 13th and am dying to see REAL new pics.

She left Cadiz on Monday - she's already west of the Azores today. Marinetraffic shows her going to Freeport, not directly to Miami - maybe she needs some touch up at the yard there.

Edited by Biker19

I’ll be sailing on her, out of Miami in eleven days. First sailing post dry dock. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted if you can. Looking forward to the new Mariner!

Love Mariner- it was my first Royal ship and will have always have a soft place in my heart

My first one also, when she was brand new and home ported in Port Canaveral. :)

Will be good to have her back next year when she finishes up her runs out of Miami.

Can't wait to see the "new" Mariner. My sister got married on Mariner 12 yrs ago. I got to go aboard for the wedding. Didn't cruise that day but my husband was on a first name basis with the pool bartender by the time we got off. That started my love affair with cruising. Can't wait to sail her in May

My first one also, when she was brand new and home ported in Port Canaveral. :)

Will be good to have her back next year when she finishes up her runs out of Miami.

Remember that cruise well. And now she will be homebased in Port C. We are booked for a B2B in May 2019