Does anyone watch the San Diego sailaways?

Boytjie

Is anybody really watching it? The webcam is rather poor compared to the PTZtv ones.

If nobody is watching it I will drop it form my sail-away notices.

Edited by Boytjie

Is anybody really watching it? The webcam is rather poor compared to the PTZtv ones.

In the "old days" (some ten years ago); there used to be a nice webcam on top of one of the skyscrapers in downtown San Diego. It was able to be manually "manipulated" (remotely controlled from home) to point right smack at the bow of the HAL ship in port. Poster Lisa from Vegas was the one who started the then "Wave" thread and even had a blue "wave banner" made through another poster (forgot who, so with apologies) which was kept in the Oosterdam HD office and would, with the cooperation of that HD, i.e. former HAL HD's James Deering and Doug Hernandez, to name a couple, would be picked up by the CC member(s) on board the ship for a particular cruise, and who would then go out on the bow prior to departure to do "the wave" and get "captured" on the webcam in a screenshot by Lisa. Those were good and fun times however, that cam has been inop for a while; not even sure if it's still there and/or if the view is blocked by new builds

You're correct in that what remains in the city of the Padres as far as a webcam pales in comparison to the FLL/PE, Aruba, Key West, etc. webcams. It is high time for such a webcam in some of the popular HAL west coast ports such as San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, etc. I for one do not watch the current SD cam, sorry to say

Keep up the great work former SA Navy! :)

I've tried to watch it a couple of times but was lucky if I saw the ship in the distance. I don't think it's worth the time or effort in it's present form, your call Peter. Thanks for the effort.

Allan

I've tried to watch it a couple of times but was lucky if I saw the ship in the distance. I don't think it's worth the time or effort in it's present form, your call Peter. Thanks for the effort.

Allan

Agree with Allan.

I used to - but the spastic camera has finally turned me off. I quit halfway through the 2017 season [after seeing maybe one 'close-up' glimpse] of a ship I had been monitoring [from a distance for about an hour]. I haven't even bother this current season.

Thanks for asking, because some may think the effort is worth it.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Don’t watch it. Always frustrating to use and with poor results.

Thanks for all you do but I would drop this one.

Like Copper I had fond memories of Lisa’s old Oosterdam Sail-Away Banner Waves.

I wonder if any of those old “signed banners” are still kept by someone?

I also try to watch if someone I know is onboard, otherwise the cameras are (as Happily@Sea says) spastic and with no close ups.

So thank you for including San Diego in your Sailaway notices, but I don't think we need it. I think the webcam link will still be in the Fleet Locations threads if anyone does want to view it.

My understanding is that the owners of an adjacent high rise threatened to sue due to a possible invasion of privacy issue with the old (pan and zoom) camera.

When the new SpringHill Suites/Marriott opened, I approached the manager with an introductory spiel for Lou. I included old "Wave" photos supplied by Lisa. I explained that all we were interested in was a stationary camera fixed on the pier.

I never received any correspondence or return phone call from them, even after a second visit.

The next best view would be from the Wyndam, so maybe I'll try sometime this summer to see if they would be interested. The problem there is that one would not be able to view the south side berth.

David

Yes, but in person. :-)

Having said that, the available San Diego web cams are so inadequate that I would understand if you drop it from your posts.

igraf

My understanding is that the owners of an adjacent high rise threatened to sue due to a possible invasion of privacy issue with the old (pan and zoom) camera.

When the new SpringHill Suites/Marriott opened, I approached the manager with an introductory spiel for Lou. I included old "Wave" photos supplied by Lisa. I explained that all we were interested in was a stationary camera fixed on the pier.

I never received any correspondence or return phone call from them, even after a second visit.

The next best view would be from the Wyndam, so maybe I'll try sometime this summer to see if they would be interested. The problem there is that one would not be able to view the south side berth.

David

Thanks for bringing us up-to-date, Sir!

IPoster Lisa from Vegas was the one who started the then "Wave" thread and even had a blue "wave banner" made through another poster (forgot who, so with apologies) which was kept in the Oosterdam HD office and would, with the cooperation of that HD, i.e. former HAL HD's James Deering and Doug Hernandez, to name a couple, would be picked up by the CC member(s) on board the ship for a particular cruise, and who would then go out on the bow prior to departure to do "the wave" and get "captured" on the webcam in a screenshot by Lisa. Those were good and fun times however, that cam has been inop for a while; not even sure if it's still there and/or if the view is blocked by new builds

I forgot all about that!

In the "old days" (some ten years ago); there used to be a nice webcam on top of one of the skyscrapers in downtown San Diego. It was able to be manually "manipulated" (remotely controlled from home) to point right smack at the bow of the HAL ship in port. Poster Lisa from Vegas was the one who started the then "Wave" thread and even had a blue "wave banner" made through another poster (forgot who, so with apologies) which was kept in the Oosterdam HD office and would, with the cooperation of that HD, i.e. former HAL HD's James Deering and Doug Hernandez, to name a couple, would be picked up by the CC member(s) on board the ship for a particular cruise, and who would then go out on the bow prior to departure to do "the wave" and get "captured" on the webcam in a screenshot by Lisa. Those were good and fun times however, that cam has been inop for a while; not even sure if it's still there and/or if the view is blocked by new builds

I remember that...those were fun times! I have not watched this camera.....