Princess vs Celebrity

Norwaylady

Hello CC-members:)

We enjoy to cruise and we have been on several Celebrity cruises. We have also tried MSC, river cruising and Hurtigruten. But the last cruises has been whit Celebrity.

But we are starting to feel the need for expanding the search for new destinations:rolleyes:

We are looking on cruises from Princess since they offer more of the exotics and they have a wider fleet all over the world.

We like smaller ships, its more intimate and it fits us good.

Things we like whit X:

-nice staterooms (we always have balcony or conciergsclass)

-not to many children

-classy partyfactor( we are not pensioners, but we like to go early to bed and dont stay up all night for party)

-good selection on wine

-good food

Which ship do you recommend for us to try on princess?

What types of stateroom is equal to conciersclass on X?

Do you have a exotic sailing you recommend?

We enjoy to cruise and we have been on several Celebrity cruises. We have also tried MSC, river cruising and Hurtigruten. But the last cruises has been whit Celebrity.

But we are starting to feel the need for expanding the search for new destinations:rolleyes:

We are looking on cruises from Princess since they offer more of the exotics and they have a wider fleet all over the world.

Things we like whit X:

-not to many children

-classy partyfactor( we are not pensioners, but we like to go early to bed and dont stay up all night for party)

-good selection on wine

-good food

Here are several very recent threads comparing Princess and Celebrity and comparing cabin categories between then, including Concierge Class :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431636

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2432065

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352689&highlight=Celebrity

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290844&highlight=Celebrity

If you enjoy Celebrity, you'll likely enjoy Princess. Similar demographics, etc. Drinks are much less expensive on Princess, specialty dining much less expensive on Princess, food is good to great to excellent on both lines, less class distinction on Pricess based on stateroom (ie no suite only restaurant or Aqua dining room, etc - one MDR, same menus and service for everyone. Exception is introduction of Club Class on Princess this week, which is small area of MDR for those in Club Class or full suite. Very minimal difference in dining exorrience. They have same menus, with added items), more live music around the ship, more options for entertainment at night including dancing to live music, etc. All in all, if you enjoyed Celebrity you'll likely enjoy Princess.

Here are several very recent threads comparing Princess and Celebrity and comparing cabin categories between then, including Concierge Class :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431636

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2432065

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352689&highlight=Celebrity

And

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290844&highlight=Celebrity

If you enjoy Celebrity, you'll likely enjoy Princess. Similar demographics, etc. Drinks are much less expensive on Princess, specialty dining much less expensive on Princess, food is good to great to excellent on both lines, less class distinction on Pricess based on stateroom (ie no suite only restaurant or Aqua dining room, etc - one MDR, same menus and service for everyone. Exception is introduction of Club Class on Princess this week, which is small area of MDR for those in Club Class or full suite. Very minimal difference in dining exorrience. They have same menus, with added items), more live music around the ship, more options for entertainment at night including dancing to live music, etc. All in all, if you enjoyed Celebrity you'll likely enjoy Princess.

Agree with the last sentence. We have found them to be equally enjoyable. But I must point out one error. The only current Princess ship with only one dining room is the Pacific Princess (Ocean Princess same, but she has been sold.). All the others have at least two, sometimes more MDRs.

We are elite on Princess and elite on X.

We always book a mini suite on Princess.

We actually like Princess more than X... even though we are elite on both... we cruise Holland American and Cunard as well recently... have cruised over 9 different lines over past 20 years... we are probably older than you... I am 70 my dh 82.

What we like best about Princess is they are more flexible with off menu ordering in the main dining room... we actually prefer the Crown Grill... which costs extra $29 pp per night... But well worh it...

Entertainment on board Princess is more tradtional.. then x.

We have cruised the Equinox, Ecplise and sihoutte most recenlty on X.

The Royal and Regal would be comparable ships on Princess.

On the other hand, we cruise both Princess and Celebrity and we much prefer Celebrity. We feel that Celebrity gives more value for your cruising dollar.

Comparing a Celebrity Concierge to Princess veranda, the Princess stateroom is smaller with less usable space and you will get only one lounge chair as opposed to a settee in the Concierge room. No bottle of sparkling wine in your stateroom on embarkation on Princess.

The buffet on Princess doesn't even come close to what is offered on Celebrity.

Besides what others have pointed out above:

Pros for Princess compared to Celebrity:

- complimentary International Cafe

- daily complimentary high tea in the afternoon in one of the dining rooms

- sometimes complimentary English Pub offering in the afternoon in one of the dining rooms

- daily cocktail hour with buy one, get one for a dollar

Cons for Princess compared to Celebrity:

- only soft-serve vanilla and chocolate are complimentary. Real ice cream is $3 per cone.

- no Al Bacio coffee and pastry venue

- fewer perks offered in the cruise fare

- more difficult to reach Elite level

- no solarium pool

There are many more "pros and cons" on each line but it is more of personal preference. We enjoy our cruises on Princess, but we have lower expectations. Berlitz rates Cunard #1 (suite class), Celebrity #2, MSC #3, and Princess #4. We think that is pretty accurate.

On the other hand, we cruise both Princess and Celebrity and we much prefer Celebrity. We feel that Celebrity gives more value for your cruising dollar.

The buffet on Princess doesn't even come close to what is offered on Celebrity. The buffet on the Royal and Regal are much improved over those on other Princess ships.

Besides what others have pointed out above:

Cons for Princess compared to Celebrity:

- only soft-serve vanilla and chocolate are complimentary. Real ice cream is $3 per cone. There is free real (ship made) ice cream at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms.

- no Al Bacio coffee and pastry venue International cafe has great (free) pastries in the morning breakfast hours

See above in red

Note that the OP prefers smaller ships and the Royal and Regal are the largest ships in the fleet.

It feels great that you all agree that we will not go in a culture shock on Princess:D

Because if that was the deal, we would have looked at another cruise line:p

Great to hear about the difference in dining/entertainment etc, it feels like we will have great time on Princess:)

The price is not the biggest factor for us, as long as we like the route and it is the right destination, thats the winner:cool:

Thanks all for the feedback:D

Alexandra and Jarle,

I am Platinum on Princess, Elite Plus on Celebrity and I cruise several other lines as well.

Most of the reason I cruise with Princess is that they offer more cruises out of my home port of Los Angeles (about an hour from my home)...but, given a choice, I would usually pick Celebrity first.

One of the most important things to me is the "crowding" of the ships...The space-to-passenger ratios on Celebrity are much better than Princess...and the entertainment venues (such as the main showroom) are far more ample on Celebrity (the showrooms on Princess seat only about a quarter of the number of passengers at one time while on Celebrity, it's close to 50%)...and though we've found comedians and magicians quite good on Princess, they are often placed in the Explorer's Lounge--which is WAY undersized for the demand.

As to the cabins, in order to get the actual living space one finds on a Celebrity ship in even a standard cabin (including a sofa and coffee table), one has to book a "mini-suite" on Princess. It's not that the Princess cabins are that much less square footage, just that they are arranged with more wasted space.

I am not saying you won't enjoy a Princess cruise...Obviously there is much to enjoy...and we keep taking them. We just prepare ourselves to deal with often waiting for a table in the Anytime dining room and having to show up very early to get a seat in a showroom...and we just deal with the smaller cabins...None of that is going to ruin our cruise for us.

Another cruise line you may want to try though--one with some tremendous itineraries and with smaller ships and great service and perhaps the best food--is Oceania...We've been on three 14-16 night cruises with them in Europe and each were wonderful. What drew us to them were some very different and unique itineraries...and the ships are very uncrowded and cabins very nicely sized and decorated.

Good luck...

But we are starting to feel the need for expanding the search for new destinations

Things we like whit X:

-not to many children

-good selection on wine

-good food

It feels great that you all agree that we will not go in a culture shock on Princess:D

Because if that was the deal, we would have looked at another cruise line:p

Great to hear about the difference in dining/entertainment etc, it feels like we will have great time on Princess:)

The price is not the biggest factor for us, as long as we like the route and it is the right destination, thats the winner

Thanks all for the feedback:D

I am sure you will enjoy Princess. We cruise a lot on Celebrity and have always enjoyed Princess as well. We started with Princess because of their small ship cruises in the French Polynesia (6 of them), but they are no longer offered. There is a 28 day RT cruise from SAN Pedro that include Hawaii and the French Polynesia on the Princess Emerald that we have booked. Princess has a RT Baltic cruise that starts in Copenhagen and include Norway.

Which particular ship do you like on Celebrity so we can get an idea of your size preference. As mentioned the Royal and Regal are roughly equivalent to Celebrity's Solstice Class ships. Are you more interested in the Celebrity's Millennium Class size or something smaller?

Book with confidence. As I said I book Princess for the different itineraries not really the experience, but I would say the varied entertainment is better on Princess and drinks are less expensive. You might enjoy Princess's wine bottle packages. I would suggest you consider a minisuite.

Edited by jagoffee

Agree with the last sentence. We have found them to be equally enjoyable. But I must point out one error. The only current Princess ship with only one dining room is the Pacific Princess (Ocean Princess same, but she has been sold.). All the others have at least two, sometimes more MDRs.

Perhaps my statement regarding MDR wasn't clear, so here goes:

On Celebrity,there are three distinct, separate dining rooms depending on your room class: Luminae for Suite class, Blu for Aqua class and the main dining room for everyone else - this is generally a two story affair with Select or traditional dining. Luminae and Blu have their always smart casual dress code while the MDR has Evening Chic and smart casual throughout the cruise. Menus are very different between the three separate dining rooms also.

On Princess, there's no completely separate dining room based on room class, there's one main dining room, albeit split into two or three different physical dining rooms themselves - same menus, same dress codes, etc across all the dining rooms on Princess. The exception is the new Club Class, which is still in one of the MDRs, and has mainly the same menus, etc with s few added table-side presentations available...it's not a completely separate dining room nor is it completely different menus (at least not according to their description or the brief report from a pax on Ruby currently)....

Hope that explains it better....

Edited by reedprincess

The buffet on the Royal and Regal are much improved over those on other Princess ships.

There is free real (ship made) ice cream at lunch and dinner in the dining rooms.

International cafe has great (free) pastries in the morning breakfast hours

Have not been on the Royal or Regal so I can't compare. On the rest of the Princess fleet, the buffet food leaves a lot to be desired. I do like the fact that Princess pre-sets the tables in the buffet with napkins and silver. I do not like the fact that Princess gives you paper towels in the washroom while Celebrity gives you cloth towels.

Yes, you can get real ship made ice cream on Celebrity for lunch and dinner too. In addition you can get complimentary real ice cream (about 12 flavors that change daily) from about 11 am until late at night at the ice cream bar. You will pay extra for that on Princess.

Yes, International Cafe has maybe three or four complimentary pastries from which to choose. At the Al Bacio coffee shop on Celebrity, you will have about two dozen different cakes, pastries, donuts, cookies, tarts, flavored croissants - all complimentary which change daily.

We have found that a mini-suite on Princess runs about the same price per day as an Aqua stateroom on Celebrity, but we get so much more in Aqua class (even more than a Club mini-suite).

Have not been on the Royal or Regal so I can't compare. On the rest of the Princess fleet, the buffet food leaves a lot to be desired. I do like the fact that Princess pre-sets the tables in the buffet with napkins and silver. I do not like the fact that Princess gives you paper towels in the washroom while Celebrity gives you cloth towels.

Yes, you can get real ship made ice cream on Celebrity for lunch and dinner too. In addition you can get complimentary real ice cream (about 12 flavors that change daily) from about 11 am until late at night at the ice cream bar. You will pay extra for that on Princess.

I don't know why you keep saying that you have to pay for ice cream on Princess (I think you said this before). Every night in the MDR, there are several flavors of ice cream that are available on the dessert menu. No extra charge.

Yes, International Cafe has maybe three or four complimentary pastries from which to choose. At the Al Bacio coffee shop on Celebrity, you will have about two dozen different cakes, pastries, donuts, cookies, tarts, flavored croissants - all complimentary which change daily.

We have found that a mini-suite on Princess runs about the same price per day as an Aqua stateroom on Celebrity, but we get so much more in Aqua class (even more than a Club mini-suite).

And if you want other tasty treats on Princess, you can get some great desserts and great cookies at the International cafe, but also can get some desserts in the Horizon court during the day, besides the desserts available in the MDRs at the meals.

And if you want other tasty treats on Princess' date=' you can get some great desserts and great cookies at the International cafe, but also can get some desserts in the Horizon court during the day, besides the desserts available in the MDRs at the meals.[/quote']

Don't forget the drink prices on Celebrity ....they have to be close to the most expensive in the mainstream cruise line industry.

So much expensive that it makes you think on buying the all inclusive package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The feedback has been so good from all of you:):):)

It really is spot on my mind and how we think. It is really good to see that this and that is important to you. And the difference between Princess and X in how things are i entertainment and food.

We like Millennium and Solstice class, it is difference between them, but both have their good things that we like.

The smaller vessels we have been on is whit MSC and river cruise, it was 1200/278pax. It is more intimate and special in its own way.

The space-ratio is important, we like to have some space.

We will seek in to Oceania, Bruin Steve;)

Destination we are looking in to:

Hawaii, California & Pacific coast, Canada & New England and South pacific coast.

Because here is the big limitation on X. They offer few or non sailings on this destination.

You generally do not pay for ice cream on Princess Ships.

Soft Serve ice cream is available from 11am until late evening by the pool

Scooped ice cream and sherbet is available in the DR's for lunch and dinner and for dinner in the buffet areas. Ask for as many scoops as you can handle. Sundaes are also available at no charge. Try to finish the Volcano from the youth menu.

On the Royal and Regal and on a few other ships you can get gelato. There is a small charge for this, maybe $3 for 3 scoops, or you can use a punch on the coffee card.

There is a charge for milkshakes. Milkshakes are included with the soda and more package and with the All Inclusive Beverage Package.

Unlike some cruise lines free scooped ice cream is not available all day.

I have to admit I have not sailed X (yet). I have been a fair amount of Princess cruises. One thought, based on your descritpion- have you considered Holland America? The have smaller ships, some unique itineraries, and a more refined atmosphere.

Things we like whit X:

-not to many children

-good selection on wine

-good food

We're used to the Eclipse on Celebrity, the QM2 for Cunard & 1 trip this past Feb. on the Regal(a 14 day B2B)I'll give you my thoughts on S class Celebrity & Royal class on Princess. First Princess negatives: The Regal was quite prone to rocking in even moderate seas. Some pax prone to really slovenly dress at night. Sorry, bathing type shorts & string T shirts are NOT acceptable at night! No stairway near ship center on the Regal. This causes massive jams for those using elevators. I hear this will be corrected when a staff stairway gets converted over in the next few years.(so I heard)Food is not quite as good overall. Exception, seafood, which was excellent. Staff was always asking if you wanted more. Never saw that on Cunard or Celebrity. On the Queen Victoria Staff actually refused to bring extra. Celebrity would bring extra if asked. The Buffet was far superior to any on both Celebrity/Cunard. Many excellent choices to be had. Desserts are a real letdown. Very bland overall, except Norman Love desserts. Spouse is a pastry chef, so I have some experience here! No "Wow" factor in any Royal class dining rooms. Always used to multi level rooms. No forward lounge on the Royal class ships. This IS a major letdown. A lot more smokers on the Regal. Smoking allowed in the Casino. Main theater is kind of small. NO drink service or place to set your drink when in here. A REAL LOSS in revenue in my opinion! Now Princess pluses. There is a full tea service, which we've missed since Cunard(theirs is still the best). Nicest & most caring staff we ever saw on ANY line, period! We never felt so welcomed as on any other line. This is NOT to say staff was less professional on Cunard/Celebrity. The Regal staff seemed genuinely concerned whether we were enjoying the trip. The Piazza is a gorgeous place to see & be seen. Crooners bar is a great place to relax & just people watch. Really enjoyed "MUTS". Spas were excellent on any ship we've been on. Sanctuary is worth every cent! The staff & Sanctuary alone are worth trying Princess out. Okay..Now to Celebrity Eclipse dislikes: "NO TEA SERVICE!!" Sorry, but self service is NOT the way to enjoy tea! No real full cinema. Specialty restaurants really getting pricey(though, food IS excellent)Staff, though very professional seem to be not as charming as those on Princess.

Celebrity Eclipse likes: Beautiful dining room. Food has been excellent overall. We're foodies & in the food/hospitality industry, so this counts big time for us. Steaks in Specialty rest. were excellent. Seafood WAS better on Regal, however. Better & larger main theater, with beverage service & place to put your drinks. Bars are more "cozy" than opulent. We prefer the bars on Princess. The Eclipse traveled more smoothly than the Regal, more like the QM2. Very little side to side rocking. Shops & jewelry stores much more upscale than the Regal. QM2 has them both beat, however! Many less smokers. This is more a remark about management than the ship itself. Shore excursions tended to have more really upscale outings than some on Princess. Overall, we find the Eclipse to provide a somewhat more upscale experience than Princess, but not enough for us to not cruise Princess in the future. Pricewise the fares were just about equal. Either way I feel you'll have a nice trip on either line. My only real observation on Princess that we really disliked, was the fact that the first week of our B2B was "SuperBowl" week. I've mentioned this in past reviews & I'll say it again. I've never seen such disgustingly behaved/dressed pax in all our cruises. Many drunken sots were observed behaving rudely that first week. After the second week began all new pax came on board & the cruise was FAR better for it! We've been on the the Eclipse during SuperBowl week & they were overall fine. I expect a few morons, just NOT as many as we saw on the Regal that first week. Again, I don't blame the ship, just the pax.

You won't go into "culture shock" going from Celebrity to Princess. Basically the same pax base. :D

Appreciate these various comments, info items, etc. We are getting ready to do our first Princess cruise. It will be a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017 on the Island Princess. This would be our first time for visiting Colombia, Panama Canal, Central America, etc. It’s eight sea days, which is a little high for us, but it is a little “get-away” from the Midwest winter.

As detailed below, we have done a couple of Celebrity Solstice cruises that are detailed below. Glad to know that much of the "experience" will be somewhat comparable. Looking forward to sampling Princess and seeing how things work, comparing the differences, etc.

Other tips, secrets, suggestions, etc., to help in maximizing the Princess experience? Especially on a sailing with so many sea-days?

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these early 2014 updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 42,553 views for this posting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 163,590 views for this posting.

I don't know why you keep saying that you have to pay for ice cream on Princess (I think you said this before). Every night in the MDR' date=' there are several flavors of ice cream that are available on the dessert menu. No extra charge.

[/color']And if you want other tasty treats on Princess, you can get some great desserts and great cookies at the International cafe, but also can get some desserts in the Horizon court during the day, besides the desserts available in the MDRs at the meals.

I'll repeat myself again. Yes, complimentary ice cream is available at dinner on both Princess and Celebrity, usually about three basic flavors, However Celebrity offers about 12 flavors of complimentary scooped ice cream (that changes daily) throughout the day. If you want a scoop of ice cream, OTHER THAN DINNER TIME, you will pay $3 for two scoops on Princess. Yes I realize that soft serve choc. and vanilla are complimentary throughout the day on Princess, but it is not real ice cream I prefer.

Yes, complimentary pastries are available at the International Cafe and buffet on Princess but there are not as many selections from which to choose as in Al Bacio or buffet on Celebrity and, in our opinion, are not as good as on Celebrity.

Destination we are looking in to:

Hawaii, California & Pacific coast, Canada & New England and South pacific coast.

Because here is the big limitation on X. They offer few or non sailings on this destination.

Yes, Princess will give you more options than Celebrity for the itineraries you prefer. That is why we are utilizing Princess more often because they have more itineraries beginning/ending in Los Angeles. If Celebrity would base a ship somewhere in Southern California, we would prefer to cruise on Celebrity. There are rumors that Celebrity will base the Infinity in San Diego sometime in the next couple of years once the new Edge class ships are launched.

There was a time X really convinced me and made me thinking it's THE cruise line among the mass market - but every new experience, also with other lines widenes your eyes and might change your attitude - after having sailed on a very memorable TA on NCL Jade this April, I really had to ask myself what Celebrity does better compared to even NCL - so IMHO X cannot compete with Princess (anymore?) in most cases.

Celebrity has lost most premium marks Princess still has, such as:

-afternoon tea time

-champaign pyramide @formal nights

-petit fours @formal nights in MDR

-regional and home-style cuisine adjusted to cruise destination

-GREAT cinema under the stars with complimentary snack service

-beverage service (complimentary) @buffet restaurant

-filet mignon/surf and turf in MDR

All those points mentioned above Celebrity does not offer anymore, especially when sailing in one of the lower categories IMHO you feel like on any other higher standard line.

As such, Celebrity provided a decent performance, food was tasty, creative menus and good - very good service - but all those features NCL provided @the same level, and Princess did a better job.

I have been following several Princess vs Celebrity threads as we have booked our first Celebrity cruise.

To summarize what I have read:

o Food in the dining room is better on Princess.

o Food in the dining room is better on Celebrity.

o Food quality has declined on Princess.

o Food quality has declined on Celebrity.

o Specialty restaurants are better on Princess.

o Specialty restaurants are better on Celebrity.

o Entertainment is better on Princess.

o Entertainment is better on Celebrity.

o Princess has more and better onboard activities than Celebrity.

o Celebrity has more and better onboard activities than Princess.

o Embarkation/disembarkation is better on Princess.

o Embarkation/disembarkation is better on Celebrity.

o Staff is more friendly on Princess than on Celebrity.

o Staff is more friendly on Celebrity than on Princess.

I have been following several Princess vs Celebrity threads as we have booked our first Celebrity cruise.

To summarize what I have read:

o Food in the dining room is better on Princess.

o Food in the dining room is better on Celebrity.

o Food quality has declined on Princess.

o Food quality has declined on Celebrity.

o Specialty restaurants are better on Princess.

o Specialty restaurants are better on Celebrity.

o Entertainment is better on Princess.

o Entertainment is better on Celebrity.

o Princess has more and better onboard activities than Celebrity.

o Celebrity has more and better onboard activities than Princess.

o Embarkation/disembarkation is better on Princess.

o Embarkation/disembarkation is better on Celebrity.

o Staff is more friendly on Princess than on Celebrity.

o Staff is more friendly on Celebrity than on Princess.

Haha...that about sums it up although personally we do lean more Celebrity these days after 11 on Princess. Just a better vibe for us and we love the S Class ships.