1st cruise ever - questions about bathing suits, Sea Pass, cameras, and coffee

Hi folks,

First cruise coming up soon, and first time in the Caribbean - DH and I are sending the kid to Grandma's and we're booked in a balcony room on the Enchantment for a 3 night trip to Nassau & Coco Cay. I've been reading diligently, but still have a few questions. Since I need to start packing, and you folks seem to know EVERYTHING about RCI...

1. Does my bathing suit need a cover up on board ship when away from the pool? Before you say "yes", you should know that it's a tankini top with a full coverage back, is not skin-tight, and does not show excessive cleavage. In fact, it's a lot more coverage than any spaghetti strap tank top. My bottoms are board shorts with a 6-7" inseam. When we go kayaking at home, and plan to stop at a gas station, I usually add a matching button-down short-sleeve shirt, unbuttoned. I can easily do this on board ship, but do I actually need a full coverup - a dress or a wrap worn like a skirt? It will be quite hot in July and I'm not thrilled with having to add layers. Plenty of coverups are less coverage than my suit.

2. I understand we get some kind of card - a Sea Pass. This is for what exactly? How are we supposed to keep track of them? Can we put them in a secure pocket in our swimsuits and wear them into the pool or hot tub? Do I have to carry a purse to dinner to have it with me (not a purse person)? Can we leave them on a chair while swimming on board or at Coco Cay? Or do we need to pack lanyards and have them with us at ALL times?

3. I have a nice camera and I like to use it, mostly for landscapes. Can I / should I bring a tripod for sunrise / sunset shots? Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to bring the camera (no tripod) to Coco Cay? We have a cabana there, and I understand there are lockers. I'm not sure I would really use it, as my phone is fine for full daylight photos. Then again, I'm not sure I feel like bringing my phone on shore, as I won't need it for text or data...

4. When we wake up, we need coffee. Immediately. There is no way I will be dressing or brushing hair or applying makeup BEFORE coffee. Therefore, I will not be wandering off to some coffee stand or dining area to get said coffee. What is the best way to acquire coffee in our cabin? I've seen some refer to having coffee delivered - but I would prefer not to pay the $8 room service charge for coffee. I've seen some refer to bringing a French press, which I can easily do. Can I bring an electric kettle, or is that on the naughty list?

I know every one of these is a no-brainer for all of you that have done this before. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

First thing is that you are going to have a fabulous time!!.

The pool deck you do not need a cover up but inside you do. I mean if you are just leaving the cabin and going straight to the pool and back you dont. But if you want to grab something at the buffet etc you should throw on a cover up.

Your Seapass cards are your ship ID, cabin key and $$. It opens your cabin door and turns on your lights. If you order a drink at the pool they scan your card to charge your room etc. I just keep the keys in my pool bag with my book, cover up and sun screen

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Your SeaPass card is your stateroom door key, the way you purchase things in the ship, and your ID card to get on and off the ship. It's waterproof. I would not leave it lying around in plain sight while you are swimming.

Continental breakfast (which includes coffee) is complimentary during the morning hours.

1. Does my bathing suit need a cover up on board ship when away from the pool? What you describe sound more modest than a lot ofpassengers. You will see bikinis in the buffet with a relatively sheercover-up.

2. I understand we get some kind of card - a Sea Pass. This is for what exactly? How are we supposed to keep track of them? Can we put them in a secure pocket in our swimsuits and wear them into the pool or hot tub? Do I have to carry a purse to dinner to have it with me (not a purse person)? Can we leave them on a chair while swimming on board or at Coco Cay? Or do we need to pack lanyards and have them with us at ALL times? Lanyards are popular, the shops will punch a hole toclip them on, or insert them in a case. Don't take them into the hot tub or pool,treat them like a credit card. Don't leave them out in plain sight. You need itat dinner time to check in for your reservation and if you get any extras (likealcohol). You SHOULD be able to leave it in a bag on Coco Cay... should. If your card gets damaged you can get it replaced at the main desk.

4. When we wake up, we need coffee. Immediately. There is no way I will be dressing or brushing hair or applying makeup BEFORE coffee. Therefore, I will not be wandering off to some coffee stand or dining area to get said coffee. What is the best way to acquire coffee in our cabin? The buffet in the morning sometimes resembles acollege dorm. Literally pajamas and robes on some, shorts and t-shirts onothers. Wear your most unkempt look with pride. If you're bringing it back tothe room, who cares? You're on VACATION!!! (Just don't forget your keycard andask for a tray if you need one)

Since no one mentioned the camera, I will. It's up to you. I can't speak for lockers at Coco Cay as I've never seen any there, but haven't been in a number of years. I also use my cell phone as a camera for around the ship and even, to some extent, on shore. I personally would not take an expensive camera to Coco Cay, but that's just me. I have a waterproof camera that takes great pics. I use that on most non-scenic shore days. When I say "non-scenic," I mean places where we are not going on a scenic drive of an island. The waterproof camera is great, especially places like Coco Cay as you can take it swimming with you and get some fantastic shots from the water. They really aren't that expensive and take great pics and are waterproof down to 100 ft.

Anyway, have a wonderful cruise! You'll get the "bug" like all of us did!

1. Does my bathing suit need a cover up on board ship when away from the pool? What you describe sound more modest than a lot ofpassengers. You will see bikinis in the buffet with a relatively sheercover-up.

2. I understand we get some kind of card - a Sea Pass. This is for what exactly? How are we supposed to keep track of them? Can we put them in a secure pocket in our swimsuits and wear them into the pool or hot tub? Do I have to carry a purse to dinner to have it with me (not a purse person)? Can we leave them on a chair while swimming on board or at Coco Cay? Or do we need to pack lanyards and have them with us at ALL times? Lanyards are popular, the shops will punch a hole toclip them on, or insert them in a case. Don't take them into the hot tub or pool,treat them like a credit card. Don't leave them out in plain sight. You need itat dinner time to check in for your reservation and if you get any extras (likealcohol). You SHOULD be able to leave it in a bag on Coco Cay... should. If your card gets damaged you can get it replaced at the main desk.

4. When we wake up, we need coffee. Immediately. There is no way I will be dressing or brushing hair or applying makeup BEFORE coffee. Therefore, I will not be wandering off to some coffee stand or dining area to get said coffee. What is the best way to acquire coffee in our cabin? The buffet in the morning sometimes resembles acollege dorm. Literally pajamas and robes on some, shorts and t-shirts onothers. Wear your most unkempt look with pride. If you're bringing it back tothe room, who cares? You're on VACATION!!! (Just don't forget your keycard andask for a tray if you need one)

Room service pick your time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since no one mentioned the camera, I will. It's up to you. I can't speak for lockers at Coco Cay as I've never seen any there, but haven't been in a number of years. I also use my cell phone as a camera for around the ship and even, to some extent, on shore. I personally would not take an expensive camera to Coco Cay, but that's just me. I have a waterproof camera that takes great pics. I use that on most non-scenic shore days. When I say "non-scenic," I mean places where we are not going on a scenic drive of an island. The waterproof camera is great, especially places like Coco Cay as you can take it swimming with you and get some fantastic shots from the water. They really aren't that expensive and take great pics and are waterproof down to 100 ft.

I agree. I bring a waterproof camera to beach days (only exception was St. Martin, I wanted my DSLR for plane shots). You can bring a tripod, but IIRC, the lockers at Coco Cay are "square" and not extremely deep so I don't know if your tripod will fit in them or not. Things may have changed though.

Take your camera and a bat. The bat is for when someone steps in front of you with their phone to take the same picture. :evilsmile:

• Haha 1

You can run and grab coffee without makeup etc, or better yet send your husband to go get it. I’m sure he’d be delighted to.

Ya, that is my wife's idea too. I get to go and get the coffee, hot water with appropriate tea bag, and a couple little pastries for "us" first thing each morning! I must say, I had never thought of taking a French press, but then you would also have to take your favorite ground coffee with you!

Couple other comments: (1) my wife always uses a cover up going to and from the pool and/or spa areas; just her choice. (2) If possible, save your sea passes - they make great souvenirs of your cruises, bring back many good memories should you occasionally look through the collection, and I have heard tales of people using the sea passes as documentation needed to prove their cruise line 'loyalty' status. (3) Many new cruise ships now use a Sea Pass placed in a slot on the wall to activate the power in the room - lights, TV, wall plugs. You might consider taking an old motel room key card, or similar card, to use for that purpose.

Here's wishes for a wonderful 'first' cruise!

It opens your cabin door and turns on your lights.

Not on Enchantment - only true on ships since Quantum. Also, any card, including a business card, can be used to turn on the lights on ships that have that feature.

Not on Enchantment - only true on ships since Quantum. Also, any card, including a business card, can be used to turn on the lights on ships that have that feature.
New cabins added since then have it as well. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Try not to get sunscreen on your sea pass. It takes the lettering off and while it still works, bartenders and others don't seem to like it. You will end up at guest services getting a new one.

You are going on a short cruise to have some fun and enjoy. Leave your tripod at home. With today's digital cameras you can boost the ISO a bit for sunrise/sunset pictures. I do it all of the time. The tripod is dead weight. For the beach, sand and cameras do not mix well at all. When I absolutly have to take a camera to the beach I stick it in a big zip lock bag. Sand is invasive and the repairs are expensive.

I always have my sea pass on a lanyard around my neck. Feels more secure to me than having it in a pocket. Now on royal caribb the staff taking the pic before boarding usually have a hole punch. (I used to take one on board just for this reason.

All the cabins we have stayed in have had a kettle and instant coffee

It is Royal's policy to have a kettle in all staterooms on ships based out of the UK, but this is not the case elsehwere.