Views of night sky while on cruise ship

tbmrt

Years ago I remember sitting on our balcony in the Caribbean enjoying the many stars and constellations. (This wasn't on a small ship.)

However, it seems that this is no longer possible, even in great weather. Not many stars at all unfortunately.

Wondering if this has to do with the ship's configurations and bright lights.

Input appreciated.

Years ago I remember sitting on our balcony in the Caribbean enjoying the many stars and constellations. (This wasn't on a small ship.)

However, it seems that this is no longer possible, even in great weather. Not many stars at all unfortunately.

Input appreciated.

Very hard for us to find a dark place on the ship anymore.

The stars are still there. We just can't see them due to light pollution on today's cruise ships. Even balconies are a problem with light from decks above and below, lights illuminating the water, and next door neighbors who leave their balcony lights on all night long.

Very hard for us to find a dark place on the ship anymore.

To avoid being sued because a passenger tripped in the dark, cruise lines make sure every square inch of deck space is well lit. Just another example of how our litigious society has forced the demise of some of the small pleasures we use to have in the past.

Royal Caribbean voyager and freedom class have a helipad at the front of the ship on deck 5 that is usually dark and a good spot to see stars. However, it can be very windy when the ship is moving. Access either from deck 4 outside and climbing some stairs, or through a side door in the forward lounge on deck 5.

Royal Caribbean voyager and freedom class have a helipad at the front of the ship on deck 5 that is usually dark and a good spot to see stars. However, it can be very windy when the ship is moving. Access either from deck 4 outside and climbing some stairs, or through a side door in the forward lounge on deck 5.

UMMM...Wonder if we can get out there on Celebrity S ships.

The best celestial event we've seen from a cruise ship was a lunar eclipse. I try looking at the stars, but it's usually too bright. The warm and humid atmosphere of the Caribbean doesn't help. I'm wondering if we'll have better luck in a few weeks on our cruise to the British isles.

It's not impossible to see the night sky well, one just has to work at finding a good spot unless one has a veranda. Even with other ship lights above my stateroom's veranda, I almost always am able to see the night sky and marvel at our Creator's handiwork.

Oh, my goodness, I'm so bummed to read this topic. I was so looking forward to stargazing every night:eek:

I will try asking at guest services desk if they have any thoughts.....Carnival Legend to Hawaii.

Holland America's ships have open, public areas at the front of the ship under the bridge that are kept unlighted to allow bridge personnel to have some night vision. Perfect place for star gazing. The top most deck above the Crow's Nest is also dark.

Jimnbigd beat me to it. Those bow helipads are always VERY dark, and a great place to star gaze. We also just took a Star Clipper cruise, and even in the thick sky of the Caribbean, you could see every star later at night (After they turned off the mast lights, which they did about 11 pm every night.)

UMMM...Wonder if we can get out there on Celebrity S ships.

On all the Celebrity cruises I have been on, both S and M class, they would only allow people on the helipad during slow speed movements, such as leaving a port or through the Panama Canal locks. I have never heard of them being open while underway at cruising speed, which could be as fast as 24 knots (about 28 mils per hour). It would be very windy out there.

First Panama Canal lock - Infinity

Helipad-Panama%20Canal%201.JPG

Departing Stockholm, Sweden - Constellation

Leaving%20Stockholm.JPG

Leaving Kusadasi, Turkey around 10:00 pm. - Reflection

Refelction%20departure%20Kusadasi.JPG

Input appreciated.

Our last cruise was on Carnival Sunshine. We had the Scenic Oceanview which is the very front of the ship. On the first night I woke up around 2:30 to use the facilities and outside our window was the Big Dipper in all her glory. It was so close & bright you could almost touch it.

Princess has started a star gazing get together, they turn of the lights so you can see more.

Can't wait to try it. :cool:

It is usually offered just one evening and can be cancelled if it is too cloudy. It is done in the aft area.

Many years ago we were cruising by Cape Canaveral around 9pm and all the ship's lights had on. But a space shuttle was due to be sent up then, so, all the deck lights were turned off at 9pm. Everyone was on deck and we watched the red glow in the sky as the space shuttle took off. I have a picture of the glow. Wow, what a site!

A pitch black night, far from land, sitting on deck watching Venus rise and fall with the movements of the ship.

People began to appear, as the rumour had gone around that there was a UFO out there... :D

On Oceania we met the Navigator one day and he was pleased to set up a stargazing experience one night later that cruise. He said it was rarely requested and he was happy to do so since he had learned navigating the old fashioned way, by the stars.

I was on the Vista last November. Walking along the promenade deck and got to the front of the ship. There wasn't on light on. I look up and wow. I've never seen so many stars in my life. We had been in Arbu that day. Being so south may have had something to do with it. Amazing.

We were on a Princess cruise when they had one of their stargazing evenings. It was held by the Cruise Director, who was clueless. He arranged it for a time when, according to that day's Patter, the sun was only just setting, so it was obvious to anyone with a bit of commonsense that there wouldn't be any stars visible. We were by one of the pools when the disappointed stargazing group came down from the deck above, together with a very flustered and apologetic CD. The idea is good but I don't think this sort of activity should be offered unless there is someone knowledgeable and competent to run it.

We were on a Princess cruise when they had one of their stargazing evenings. It was held by the Cruise Director, who was clueless. He arranged it for a time when, according to that day's Patter, the sun was only just setting, so it was obvious to anyone with a bit of commonsense that there wouldn't be any stars visible. We were by one of the pools when the disappointed stargazing group came down from the deck above, together with a very flustered and apologetic CD. The idea is good but I don't think this sort of activity should be offered unless there is someone knowledgeable and competent to run it.

lol he would probably arrange for a northern lights cruise to Northern Norway in the Summer when the sun never sets!