Equinox - Bring Your Hairdryer

LP987

We just arrived home from a great week on the Equinox. The only thing I did not bring in my 46 pounds of luggage that I wished for was my hairdryer. I had read that the hairdryers onboard were not great and started to bring mine but I have pretty short hair and didn't believe they could be that bad. The second day I asked our cabin steward if he could get me a different one - the one I had had a button you had to hold to make it go and it didn't get very hot. He said they were all like that unfortunately. When we returned to the room after dinner, he had left me a different kind. It was much better but still had a thing you had to hold down to make it go. Next time we go on a cruise, I will take my own. The other thing not to forget is a multi outlet extension card. There were only two outlets in the room and this came in handy for charging phones and stuff. I hope this info helps you.

Just bring some duct tape and tape the button down.I believe it is a safety issue, and all the hairdryers on board are like that.

And watch your multi plugs. Sometimes that are caught depending on port of embarkation and who is looking at the X-ray as the luggage goes through. Last cruise, mine got caught and my cabin mates didn't -exact same plug. At least we had two.:D

Yes their hair dryers are terrible, always bring you own. The semi-official reason for them having only the push button type is it is less of a fire hazzard because you cannot walk away and leave it on.

Do not bring an extension cord or a power strip or cube. They are not allowed and if the luggage scanning catches them you get a free trip to the naughty room to reclaim your bag after they put your forbidden items in storage until you leave.

I used to use the ship hair dryer. To solve the button problem I would unplug, double a hair tie and work it up the cord. Then I could just slip it over the handle and put the hair tie on the button when I wanted to use it I would put the hairtie on the button. However I have started taking my own since I got a good dryer and I am used to it! It is worth the extra weight in my bag, or carry on.

I made a little square of duct tape folded over several times. I bring 2 thick rubber bands that hold the tape in place and that does the trick. Agree trying to dry and style your hair changing hands with the stupid button is impossible.

Just off the Eclipse and thought the hairdryer was more powerful than the ones on past cruises. Still had to hold the button down but my hair dried much quicker than with the dryers we had in Feb.

Thanks for this link. This may be $10 well spent. By the time we charge two kindles, two iPads, two phones, and my Fitbit, we have something plugged in all the time.

Thanks for this link. This may be $10 well spent. By the time we charge two kindles, two iPads, two phones, and my Fitbit, we have something plugged in all the time.

you're very welcome. We keep one in our prepacked travel stuff. AND a six foot cord (which we've needed in several hotel rooms.)

We use these at home:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAZIU5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

really nice for keeping all those wires and stuff tidy.

I have long hair and thought the hair dryer was ok. I brought a thick rubberband and wrapped it around the button to hold it down.

The good ol rubber band trick works like a charm and is must lighter than bringing your own hairdryer.

Do not bring an extension cord onboard. Not worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wished for was my hairdryer. I had read that the hairdryers onboard were not great and started to bring mine but I have pretty short hair and didn't believe they could be that bad. The second day I asked our cabin steward if he could get me a different one - the one I had had a button you had to hold to make it go and it didn't get very hot. He said they were all like that unfortunately. When we returned to the room after dinner, he had left me a different kind. It was much better but still had a thing you had to hold down to make it go. Next time we go on a cruise, I will take my own.

When we were on Summit last year and docked in Boston in the elevator there was a woman who went out and bought a hair dryer in port because the ones on board are so bad. I have always traveled with my hair dryer. I wouldn't leave home without it?

If you drive to the port, bring your own hairdryer. I’ve been on over 30 Celebrity cruises and all my S Class cruises have had the same small white hairdryer. Worked OK. Our last time on Equinox we had a different hairdryer entirely. It was a large heavy black hairdryer that had been transformed from an American plug into a European plug. It was a royal pain to hold the button down on something that heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They cut out on me at least 3 times drying my hair, so I wash and go outside with a clip and drop sections and let the sun take the most. My hair is frizzy so can’t leave it too long but find a hair elastic on the button works a treat. That said I’m taking my own next time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, they all have the same type dryer. I’ve actually had good luck with it using the rubber band method until our last cruise one month ago. I just couldn’t get the band to stay put the entire drying period. I’ll most likely bring my own next time.