Tipping on ship?

Dining & Culinary staff: $6.25

Case in point of cruise lines overcharging. If I only eat dinner in the MDR, then for my family of 4, that's a $25 tip for one meal. Yes, I know some people eat 3 meals in the MDR, order 10 drinks a day, have people bring them room service, towels, etc. But, that's not us. I'm not being a cheapskate with this, but that's out of line for a tip for my one meal. Thus, everyone is different. If you feel like the "suggested" amount is appropriate for the services you receive then by all mean keep the auto tips. I don't, but I do tip a reasonable amount based on the services I receive in cash at my discretion.

That refers to the ENTIRE culinary and dining staff.

Unless the only nourishment you take all day every day is dinner in the main dining room, you are misunderstanding how much you are tipping "for one meal".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Case in point of cruise lines overcharging. If I only eat dinner in the MDR, then for my family of 4, that's a $25 tip for one meal. Yes, I know some people eat 3 meals in the MDR, order 10 drinks a day, have people bring them room service, towels, etc. But, that's not us. I'm not being a cheapskate with this, but that's out of line for a tip for my one meal. Thus, everyone is different. If you feel like the "suggested" amount is appropriate for the services you receive then by all mean keep the auto tips. I don't, but I do tip a reasonable amount based on the services I receive in cash at my discretion.

So you don't eat breakfast or lunch then.:confused:

I'm not complaining at tipping during this cruise, I just do not feel people that had insanely little impact on my cruise deserve the same amount of my money as someone who has directly taken care of me. I do not feel the guy who is watching the kiddie pool deserves an equal shake of my contribution compared to the server who excellently serves me a three course meal 5 nights in a row.

As for fees, yeah it has gotten out of hand. The two worst are online ticket sites, who charge you for a ticket, then a convenience fee per person, then a service fee per person, then a handling fee per person. Turns say $50 tickets for an event into $75 a ticket at the end.

Your logic is flawed on a cruise. 1st you don't know the impact that the 15 other people a day contribute to your cruise experience. Secondly there are thousands of cruisers on each ship. Each and every one of those people are also receiving similar service to you. By equally spreading the tips everyone is taken care of. What to speak of the person who is too cheap to tip or is so drunk or distracted they simply forget. There policies are put into place for good reason with years of data to back them up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You know this for sure, or is just something that you have read on a forum? I believe there was a thread last year that counters what you have written.

I can assure you that there is a list for all staff to see as to which cabins and names are not paying grats. Your cabin steward is on the front line to know.

I can assure you that there is a list for all staff to see as to which cabins and names are not paying grats. Your cabin steward is on the front line to know.

Assurances mean very little when another poster assures quite the opposite.

Why does everyone wait until the last night to remove gratuities? Why not do it the first night?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Forums mobile app

Some have posted on CC that they have waited to the last night so the crew wouldn't find out and possibly give them bad service.

We always prepay our tips when booking so it's never an issue for us.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

Why does everyone wait until the last night to remove gratuities? Why not do it the first night?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Forums mobile app

Are you sure everyone waits until the last night?

It may be the only time they are aware tips are being taken having opted out of pre-paid tips.

Interesting that no one in your family eats anything other than your dinner in the MDR. No breakfast, no lunch, no snacks. Hard to fathom.

I am from the UK and I find some of the remarks from Americans on this forum judgemental as well as offensive when it comes to tipping etiquette.

"Some of The American's On This Board", I Think you must have misspoke...Right?

Mike

We eat lunch and breakfast at the buffet. If someone clears plates and serves drinks then I tip them accordingly. We spoon out our own food and fix our own drinks on the ship. Thus, one meal in the MDR at dinner where we are served. I didn't think the example was that hard to follow. But, by all means, you can pay more than you should just because the cruise line "suggests" to do so. It's your choice.

Interesting that no one in your family eats anything other than your dinner in the MDR. No breakfast, no lunch, no snacks. Hard to fathom.

One 5 night cruise I only ate in the CL.

Prosciutto, smoked salmon, cheese and a croissant in the morning.

Hors d'ouevres, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes and cheese for dinner.

I didn't plan it, just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been on over 20 cruises, I have never ever observed anyone tip the staff in the buffet. Just saying.
We had the DP on our last cruise and in the WJ at lunchtime we had 2 glasses of champagne and I gave the server $2 tip.

I have seen tip boxes in WJ too.

I have surmised that it’s $14.95 a day per person for gratuity. So my girlfriend and I are looking at about $200 for the week.

A few questions though. If you purchase things like alcohol on your own, Starbucks, etc do they add on more gratuity than the standard one above?

I’m not trying to be insensitive or an arse, but I don’t feel $200 tips for a week is commensurate with our travels. We only eat with service for dinner. We do not really drink. I personally feel the tips should be given to the few people who directly take care of us like in real world dining etc.

I read you can opt out of automatic gratuities. My question is can I lower the amount for automatic by a good amount. And then I would individually tip my server and cabin attendant? I don’t want to opt out of automatic all together but I feel more of my tips should go to the people who directly are serving me for the week. Is this do able? Thank you in advance!

Regardless of what anyone says here and many of us have options, which should be clear by now, it is your choice.

By the contract you are not required to pay any daily service fee, you are 100% in control of the amount. Drinks, bar service are not the say, they all have a fixed service charged added to them.

But the daily charge is optional, you can remove and pay in cash, or reduce or make higher. It is all your choice. Do what you feel is right for you and you are comfortable with.

That said I agree with the last part of your post, that is why I always remove the daily service fees and tip those I want directly in cash.

I thought that a signature was required.
The anti tipping is usually associated with P&O UK threads which are in favour of removing AG.

We always prepay tips when booking RC and forget about them,then tip around $200 cash for a weeks cruise to DL,RS,and speciality restaurant servers plus CS and any other person who enhances our cruise.