Bliss Race Track Warning

hurley7

Just returned from the Bliss today and wanted to post some "words of warning." Please be aware that the go karts go approx. 30 mph. They ask you not to bump people, and most people comply, but when someone does not follow the rules, it can be an extremely hard collision. I happened to have two young boys on my session. One was unable to control the kart very well and became stuck several times trying to complete a tight turn. I was fortunately able to brake without hitting him, but I was then hit from behind very hard as the other racers ran into me. If you have experienced whiplash from a car accident - that is exactly what it feels like. The other young boy on my session hit me several times on purpose and it was hard, but not as bad as the one situation where everyone collided with me as I was at a complete stop. My husband and another friend were also hit very hard on their sessions. Spoke to another lady that was walking with a cane after having experienced a hard collision. If you have any type of neck or back problems, it is not worth the risk, and even those without health issues should take into consideration that you can be hit very hard.

Hope this information helps someone to avoid an injury or soreness that would negatively affect their vacation or health.

• Like 2

Just returned from the Bliss today and wanted to post some "words of warning." Please be aware that the go karts go approx. 30 mph. They ask you not to bump people, and most people comply, but when someone does not follow the rules, it can be an extremely hard collision. I happened to have two young boys on my session. One was unable to control the kart very well and became stuck several times trying to complete a tight turn. I was fortunately able to brake without hitting him, but I was then hit from behind very hard as the other racers ran into me. If you have experienced whiplash from a car accident - that is exactly what it feels like. The other young boy on my session hit me several times on purpose and it was hard, but not as bad as the one situation where everyone collided with me as I was at a complete stop. My husband and another friend were also hit very hard on their sessions. Spoke to another lady that was walking with a cane after having experienced a hard collision. If you have any type of neck or back problems, it is not worth the risk, and even those without health issues should take into consideration that you can be hit very hard.

Hope this information helps someone to avoid an injury or soreness that would negatively affect their vacation or health.

I was actually wondering about this...I sail at the end of September with my two kids (7 and 11). I had no intention of letting my 7 year old drive alone, but did consider taking him in one of the dual cars. My 11 year old is very much looking forward to having a go. However, when I read that they go 30kph I started to have doubts - I am under no illusion that an 11 year old would have any clue what they are doing and immediately thought "what if someone bumps her at 30kph?" I think I might just tell them it was all booked......

I think the kids think 'Go Kart' means 'Bumper Cars'. I am NOT excusing their behavior and if it isn't a case of mistaken 'identity' so to speak, they are dangerous kids. But NCL should be PULLING these kids OFF the course IMMEDIATELY and BANNED for rest of cruise. They have to be told/taught what actions are expected/accepted. And NCL needs to STICK to their guns/policies.

What is the age requirement to drive? I think there is a solution to stop the bumping and crashing but it also eliminates the fun and racing aspect...…...no passing allowed. I read that when someone drives slow cars try to pass and end up crashing on the corner which creates a pile up. The flip side is that would eliminate much of the fun of real racing. If it was a long and open track, kids would have fewer problems. However those hard turns create problems.

As with everything in life, a few bad apples always ruin the bunch. They also don't allow anyone drinking to drive. I don't think they could ever enforce that rule on a ship with so much alcohol.

If it's 30 mph, it's far too fast, imho.

The speed limit on the roads here in Bermuda is 35 kph which translates to almost 22 mph!!! But we sneak it up to 48 kph (30 mph) to be on the safe side (i.e. not being stopped by police or caught in speed traps).

Hopefully it's 30 kph rather than 30 mph.

The speed limit on the roads here in Bermuda is 35 kph which translates to almost 22 mph!!! But we sneak it up to 48 kph (30 mph) to be on the safe side (i.e. not being stopped by police or caught in speed traps).

I'm guessing they don't sell too many exotic sports cars there in Bermuda. ;p

30mph is not fast(maybe for the smaller track on the ship it will be fun).

Karts at the local Motorsports park will do close to 60mph. After a simple video anyone is cleared(there are age restrictions) and full safety gear(jump suit, helmet, neck brace) you go out. They have a crew member lead the first couple laps, each progressively getting faster so you can learn the kart and the track. Accidents can and do happen...it's no different than being in a car accident however the neck brace limits the whiplash you'll get.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

It's 30 MPH.. I was a bit shocked too. Seems too fast IMO as well. Here's the youtube link, which confirms the speed limit. (you may need to copy and paste the link)

I was wondering how fast these little karts could go and confirmed that it's MPH not kph so that's pretty fast especially for non-drivers. What are the age limit, and min. weight, if there are any?

Connie, my thoughts exactly! Sounds like it should be maybe 14 years and older.

A law suit waiting to happen

I think the 30MPH is top end - maybe a car on the track alone, on the straight might get to 30MPH. Generally I'd say they are going in the low 20s. Still pretty fast.

People need to realize that collisions WILL happen. Accidents/bumping/crashing are all inherent in the activity. It's going to happen. The problem is, NCL makes no effort to enforce the rules about behavior that increases the risk of bumping. Any land based track is going to be all over the bad drivers to the point of removing them from the race, or even the building if bad enough. NCL has to do the same.

I fear that once enough people complain and enough get hurt, they are going to throttle down the speed on these karts which would take away a lot of the fun. Maybe they need to have recreational races with the governors turned down low, and competitive racing where the karts go faster. You have to earn the right to do competitive (maybe by successfully racing in a rec race or something).

Someone mentioned their land based track had someone leading a couple laps at slow speed. Bliss does the same by turning down the speed on all cars for the first couple laps.

Are there signs indicating sharp turns ahead?

I think 16 should be the minimum age to drive. Kids under that age could ride with someone of age.

This would also help with the demand.

I agree.

Are there posted signs near the track stating the rules, such as no bumping. If not, there should be.

I was actually wondering about this...I sail at the end of September with my two kids (7 and 11). I had no intention of letting my 7 year old drive alone, but did consider taking him in one of the dual cars. My 11 year old is very much looking forward to having a go. However, when I read that they go 30kph I started to have doubts - I am under no illusion that an 11 year old would have any clue what they are doing and immediately thought "what if someone bumps her at 30kph?" I think I might just tell them it was all booked......

Even worse they are not 30 kph, they are 30 mph or closer to 48 kph!

They are go-karts. You should actually GO. If you are out there driving like granny coming home from church on Sunday I will pass you. If you do not know how to stay over and out of they way when doing do, you risk contact. Next!
Then you would be part of the problem. Your right to pass does not give you the the right to make contact on any track that I know, land or sea. And that is exactly one of the problems at all tracks.

Are there posted signs near the track stating the rules, such as no bumping. If not, there should be.
I'll bet there are 10 signs with the rules that you pass by on your way to getting to actually get in the kart. And then there is the video running on an endless loop that you can't avoid. And then you have to watch that same video again just before you get in the car. Yes, the rules are very well posted.

I have cruised on the RCI Anthem of the Seas, where they encourage driver's of their bumper cars to 'crash' into each other...

Of course, these operate at much lower speeds, so even a full head-on collision is not that hard.

When the Bliss comes to New York, I imagine there will be many people that have experienced the bumper cars on the Anthem, thinking that the go-karts will give them a similar experience, so precaution's must be taken, to 'educate' would-be driver's of the difference.

I am curious about the NCL Joy, which is being repositioned from China to the west coast... I 'thought' that that ship originally had both bumper cars (located aft on Deck 16 somewhere in the 'Galaxy Pavilion', as well as a shorter version of the Bliss's style go-kart track above...on recent searches, I no longer see reference to bumper cars on the deck plans....

Any one know if it did have both, originally?:confused:

I have cruised on the RCI Anthem of the Seas, where they encourage driver's of their bumper cars to 'crash' into each other...

Of course, these operate at much lower speeds, so even a full head-on collision is not that hard.

When the Bliss comes to New York, I imagine there will be many people that have experienced the bumper cars on the Anthem, thinking that the go-karts will give them a similar experience, so precaution's must be taken, to 'educate' would-be driver's of the difference.:confused:

I can't imagine anyone could mistake karts like the Bliss has for bumper cars. I just can't imagine it...

They are go-karts. You should actually GO. If you are out there driving like granny coming home from church on Sunday I will pass you. If you do not know how to stay over and out of they way when doing do, you risk contact. Next!

I thought the same, but ended up stopped in a roadblock and was rear-ended from two cars behind me. I gotta say... I think the helmets NCL is using are more harmful than good, as they’re bulky and heavy with way-more mass than needed. The result? A giant bobble head that amplifies the whiplash. Yes... it hurts.

I’m rather shocked that NCL hasn’t restricted the karts down to a ridiculous pace, which unfortunately will also diminish any fun to be had. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.