Appropriate clothing for Alaskan cruise temperatures? How cold can it get?

AhoyGryffindor

Ahoy Gang,

If anybody’s been on an Alaskan cruise in the summer would love your input on what clothes you made sure to pack that was suitable for the varying temperatures. In checking the weather it seems that for the most part Alaska can range from the 50s to low 70s. However I also heard from someone that when we cruise through the college fjords and glacier national Park it go as low as 20??? True? How cold can it get?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Ahoy Gang,

If anybody’s been on an Alaskan cruise in the summer would love your input on what clothes you made sure to pack that was suitable for the varying temperatures. In checking the weather it seems that for the most part Alaska can range from the 50s to low 70s. However I also heard from someone that when we cruise through the college fjords and glacier national Park it go as low as 20??? True? How cold can it get?

It could be very cold early in the morning or in the evening. Pack a hat, gloves and a scarf as well as a warm jacket - we have the layered kind where you can separate and have the waterproof shell and the interior fleece. Also take some long underwear. And most importantly, dress in layers. It may be 40 degrees on deck when you wake in the morning and climb into the 60's, 70's+ as the day progresses.

We were told we had "fantastic" weather for our Memorial Day week cruise - the 50's and 60's with no rain. But mornings and evenings were definitely bundled up, and then as we went about our day we were down to a t-shirt and jeans exploring.

I went in late August / early September. Where I live it was in the triple digits for three months. When sitting at the glacier, I was just plain cold -- uncomfortably so. I was wearing a sweatshirt and hood.

Depending on what you are used to, 40 degrees may be comfortable to one person and unbelievably cold for another.

In any case, I would suggest several lighter layers rather than one heavy layer. A heavy shirt, sweater, sweatshirt and windbreaker should get you through well. Also make sure you have a warm hat and gloves, as well as a waterproof jacket for the rain.

I went in late August / early September. Where I live it was in the triple digits for three months. When sitting at the glacier, I was just plain cold -- uncomfortably so. I was wearing a sweatshirt and hood.

Depending on what you are used to, 40 degrees may be comfortable to one person and unbelievably cold for another.

In any case, I would suggest several lighter layers rather than one heavy layer. A heavy shirt, sweater, sweatshirt and windbreaker should get you through well. Also make sure you have a warm hat and gloves, as well as a waterproof jacket for the rain.

As you say, it’s all relative. Last time we went to Alaska, it was warmer there than when we got back home to the U.K. There again, not expecting it this year as we are in the middle of a heatwave - well for us, 70+ degrees for several weeks is a heatwave ;p. We’ll just layer our clothing when we go in a few weeks ;).

I have cruised to Alaska twice. Once in late August and again in late June. We had great weather in August and lots of rain in June. It was very cold when visiting Glacier Bay. I had a warm jacket, earmuffs, gloves and a scarf. Of course, we were outside most of the day, so one needs to be prepared. It was not as cold in the ports.

As others have said, layers are your best bet. I recommend a jacket with a hood in case it is raining.

Alaska is spectacular! Enjoy!

When we were there in late May/early June temps were 50s/60s. I had a fleece and Gortex rain jacket that I wore separately or together, with a long-sleeved shirt or lighter fleece underneath. Never did wear the hat or gloves I brought, just put my hood up. Didn't need long underwear. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

A lot depends on your personal tolerance for cold. If you are from southern climes, you may well tolerate Alaska's weather worse than a Northerner. As eastern Canadians, on our last Alaska trip in early September, we were walking around in shirt sleeves while other pax were dressed in parkas, hats and gloves.

Also, don't forget about the fact that you will be on a moving ship, so if you plan to spend any time out on deck while the ship is moving at cruise speed, you'll need to account for the wind effects that the ship's speed brings to the equation. IOW, wind chill will make you feel even colder. Doesn't apply on a Caribbean cruise, but can have an effect on Alaska cruises ;)

As others have said, Alaska weather can be VERY variable, so be prepared with layers. Also, rain happens more often up there as well.

Enjoy Alaska, you'll love it !

Ahoy Gang,

I just got back a week ago. Weather was awesome. Some Light rain occasionally moderate temperatures. Only time I wore the heavy jacket I brought was when we left San Francisco going under the Golden Gate Bridge. I never wore my rain jacket at all. I wore Levi's and a t shirt most of the time and at night had our sliding door open at least partially. When we were in glacier bay I wore a t-shirt and a ski vest. The weather is very changeable and can be sunny one minute and cold the next. It was perfect for our group.

Have been in Alaska cruise several times. June, July, August and Sept.

We've always had pretty good weather.

Last cruise was end if July/early August and it was 80+ most days, including Glacier Bay (it was high of 86, low of 79 in Glacier Bay, according to Princess weather info). We got a kick out of people watching as most were in winter-type clothes while a few of us had shorts and T-shirts, flip flops, etc. We had checked weather forecasts before we left - and knew to pack layers. Coolest day was Ketchikan, at high 60s and wet. Pretty normal for there.

Best advise is layers. Layers. Layers. Including a waterproof layer! And at least one pair of shorts. It can vary wildly.. T-shirts, long sleeve shirt, sweater/sweatshirt, lightweight jacket, scarf, gloves, hat, long pants, pair or two if shorts, swimsuit (hot tubs! And some ships have covered pool). Comfy sturdy shies (scotchguard if you can). Poncho or small umbrella. Layers! It can be wet and cold all the way through dry and hot in same day/within hours if each other. Layers is the name of the game.

Have a great time!

We have been twice, weather in ports wasn't bad, as everyone has said layers are great. We had Gore-tex style jackets for port and sometimes took them off. However, both trips our glacier days were cold. I had a lightweight down and was good, also needed gloves and a hat. We are from Michigan so used to cold.

yes, be sure to take an umbrella - the 'golf size' give the best coverage..

a great picture would be you on the rail of a crowded viewing area with your umbrella, taking a picture of yourself with a selfie stick !!:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

We were just in Alaska the first week of July. We had unusually good weather - sunny, clear, and mild, but we still needed layers. The water is very cold so anytime you are exposed to a breeze or wind off the water it is chilly. I had a fleece from Eddie Bauer and a sweatshirt that I wore over long-sleeved t-shirts. I live in the southern United States so even this nice weather was cool to me. I had brought gloves but did not need them - I did wear the winter hat I brought once (at the beginning of our morning in Glacier Bay).

We have cruised Alaska twice - once with a land tour included - and also spent a couple of weeks camping in Alaska (we went as far as Fairbanks). It's been tee shirt weather each time. In September of 2011 I wore tee shirts in all ports. The only place I word a coat was Glacier Bay. In June of 2016 we did a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day southbound. I purchased a light sweatshirt in Talkeetna so I'd have something warmer for Glacier Bay on the return trip. It was the only "warm" item I had and it was barely needed at all. During the long (7 week total) camping trip through Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska last year (July and August) I don't recall ever wearing a coat Although we did get rain quite a few days it wasn't cold. Sometimes you get lucky.

It’s the glacial winds that make it very cold when at any of the glaciers.

Last year we wore long sleeve Ts, jacket, hat and scarf in varying combinations onshore. At Glacier Bay wore all that plus another shirt and a cardigan. Some didn’t plan and wrapped themselves in a blanket. Saw at least one Polar Bear, only wearing his swim trunks standing on deck.

The Alaska board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You just never know, what the weather will be like. Sunshine, rain, windy, cold, snow. From rough, to very rough waters and smooth crossing the Atlantic in December. First time I went, to Alaska, it was in September. This was before digital cameras. I was on the top deck, shooting pictures, while we were in Glacier Bay. It was cold enough to freeze the camera shutter. So back to the cabin to warm it up, then back out. My thought, if you bring it and don't need, OK. If you don't bring it and need it, not so good. Example, OTC Meds. The last cruise is was on, many passengers got colds. There was a run on these meds at the store on board. They ran out. So I always pack cold meds, just in case.

We went to Alaska the last week of June and first week of July about 8 years ago. I would bring some sun screen. One of our friends spent a lot of time on deck during Glacier Bay, and he got a sun burn on his face.

Layers, layers, and layers. It will be cold on deck on glacier days. It may be cold on the water if you do whale watching. It is typically in the 70s during afternoons, but may be windy. We found a "hoodie" to be helpful....if we were walking around somewhere and were warm, we could tie it around our waists. If it was cool, we'd wear it.

The ship will provide blankets on glacier days, but you'll want warm clothing then too.

I debated about taking warm coats and didn't. Good call. However, I wore everything from shorts and t-shirts to two sweatshirts and long pants with a blanket around my shoulders.

You just never know, what the weather will be like. Sunshine, rain, windy, cold, snow. From rough, to very rough waters and smooth crossing the Atlantic in December. First time I went, to Alaska, it was in September. This was before digital cameras. I was on the top deck, shooting pictures, while we were in Glacier Bay. It was cold enough to freeze the camera shutter. So back to the cabin to warm it up, then back out. My thought, if you bring it and don't need, OK. If you don't bring it and need it, not so good. Example, OTC Meds. The last cruise is was on, many passengers got colds. There was a run on these meds at the store on board. They ran out. So I always pack cold meds, just in case.

We caught nasty colds onboard a couple of times. Those meds in the onboard store come in tiny little amounts and are really crazy expensive! We now make sure to have Dayquil (okay, store brand equivalents with the exact same ingredients) gel caps and such with us. Why pay 20 times as much onboard?

It could be very cold early in the morning or in the evening. Pack a hat, gloves and a scarf as well as a warm jacket - we have the layered kind where you can separate and have the waterproof shell and the interior fleece. Also take some long underwear. And most importantly, dress in layers. It may be 40 degrees on deck when you wake in the morning and climb into the 60's, 70's+ as the day progresses.

We were told we had "fantastic" weather for our Memorial Day week cruise - the 50's and 60's with no rain. But mornings and evenings were definitely bundled up, and then as we went about our day we were down to a t-shirt and jeans exploring.

Were you on the southbound Golden with us? Fantastic weather!

To the OP. Layers, raingear (as necessary). Hats/gloves were necessary in May. Pack 'em. We also actually got in our swimwear outdoors on a beautiful afternoon in port in Juneau on about June 1.

Alaska required one more decent sized duffel than our normal Caribbean packing. Our bulkiest item was a Lands End Squall jacket for each of us. We packed 'em for the flight up, wore (carried) them returning home.

Edited by jsglow

We’ve been to Alaska in the middle of August and the middle of September. We never saw any 80 degree days, although our friends had shorts weather on one of their cruises, but we did have some windy and rainy days. I brought the same cloths as I did for South America which included several long sleeve shirts, a sweater, a sweatshirt, a fleece vest, an uninsulated “Gore-Tex” type windbreaker, waterproof shoes, light weight gloves, and an ear band. That served me well visiting the penguins in the Falklands during a windy and raining 50 degree day as well as on our Alaskan cruises. Didn’t wear all layers every day and on some days by the middle of the day the windbreaker and fleece were in my backpack and my sleeves were rolled up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums