Room service service charge

yags

I just saw an online article on Cruise Critic that mentions some cruise ship companies are charging to deliver room service items. The article did not specifically mention Princess or I could have missed it. I understand certain items on the room service menu may have a charge but not a delivery charge on ALL orders.

Can anyone verify whether Princess is doing this or not? and if they are how does this (or should this) impact potential gratuities for delivery?

We are going on the Grand next month and I need my coffee first thing in the morning. Thanks!!

hang your checked breakfast menu on your door the night before...no charge for most items including coffee which is almost undrinkable and we stopped ordering it...

I kind of view their coffee like electrical paddles during a heart attack. Not preferable but necessary. Thanks!

I just saw an online article on Cruise Critic that mentions some cruise ship companies are charging to deliver room service items. The article did not specifically mention Princess or I could have missed it. I understand certain items on the room service menu may have a charge but not a delivery charge on ALL orders.

Can anyone verify whether Princess is doing this or not? and if they are how does this (or should this) impact potential gratuities for delivery?

We are going on the Grand next month and I need my coffee first thing in the morning. Thanks!!

Just off the Coral yesterday and no charge for room service (except for a whole pizza and a few special items- like chocolate dipped strawberries)

We were told that the charge for pizza was instituted in order to deal with teens ( and probably some other ages) who were ordering large numbers of pizzas which would be found in the trash later. But yes, there is a $3 charge for a full pizza. And there are some items, clearly indicated on the menu, which have a charge. This is not a delivery charge, but rather a purchase charge for those items.

Your information is correct. There are cruise lines that charge $7 and up for delivery of any order of any size. Princess does not do this. I have declined to cruise the line that I'm aware of that has this delivery charge. At the same time they instituted this, there were several other charges started as well....and I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death on a cruise.

We were told that the charge for pizza was instituted in order to deal with teens ( and probably some other ages) who were ordering large numbers of pizzas which would be found in the trash later. But yes' date=' there is a $3 charge for a full pizza.

.[/quote']

When Princess first introduced the delivery of pizza, there was a fee. So it wasn't added due to a problem, maybe to prevent a problem. When we have ordered multiple pizzas, the entire charge was only $3. Though, the pizzas were not very good so they did end up in the trash. We never did it again.

Royal had a pretty long list of food and beverate items for a fee in the in-cabin book.

They looked very tempting. But being cheap, with so much free food around, I couldn't

bring myself to pay.

(for the pedants, I realize the food isn't really free, as I paid a cruise fare)

I read the same article from Cruise Critic, and as usual in all of their scenarios they omit Princess. They discuss RCCL, NCL and Celebrity in depth, but no mention of Princess.

I generally do not read a lot of the on line articles by Cruise critic because most of the time it is common sense stuff that anyone who has been on a cruise should already know.

What struck me about your comment is the observation that Princess is usually omitted when comparisons are done with other Cruise Lines. It did kind of stand out when Cruise Critic did it's "Best of" survey. Kind of hard to believe that Princess was excluded from so many catagories.

Do you believe there is a bias against Princess on cruise critic?

With RCI, if you're in the full suites (Grand Suite and above), they do not charge for room service.

That's big of them. On Princess, if you are in a full suite you have an "enhanced" room service menu. However, if you are in a regular cabin, even an inside, and request something from room service that is not on the menu, they will do it for you if they are able. And they won't charge for it.

Recently CCL instituted chaarge for room service during the evening. Their excuse was lots of wasted food so this way less waste . Baloney of course.

They were handling it earlier by understaffing the phone line so you had problems getting thru to order.

We were told that the charge for pizza was instituted in order to deal with teens ( and probably some other ages) who were ordering large numbers of pizzas which would be found in the trash later. But yes' date=' there is a $3 charge for a full pizza. And there are some items, clearly indicated on the menu, which have a charge. This is not a delivery charge, but rather a purchase charge for those items.

Your information is correct. There are cruise lines that charge $7 and up for delivery of any order of any size. Princess does not do this. I have declined to cruise the line that I'm aware of that has this delivery charge. At the same time they instituted this, there were several other charges started as well....and I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death on a cruise.[/quote']

I don't get this. You can, essentially, order the entire room service menu for ONE delivery/service charge of $7.95 (or whatever it is).

That is incredibly cheap. And why would anyone stiff the 'waiter'/delivery person? They didn't implement this change. They deserve the tip for bringing the food to your cabin.

You tip the pizza driver, don't you?

Yes, I tip the pizza driver. But I don't tip as much as I used to before the company instituted a "delivery charge." And I tend to think ahead and order the pizza "to go" if I'm going to be out. However, I never made any reference to tipping or not tipping for delivery in my post.

OK, my daughter has a physical problem that causes chronic pain and a mobility impairment. There are days when it is just more than she can handle to get to the buffet, etc. So either I make a food run for her (usually for a burger and fries) or she orders room service.

Yes, I suppose I am cheap...but a $7.95 delivery charge + tip means I'm paying $10 per meal in addition to the cruise fare. That's enough to make me unhappy. Sorry if you think it's silly to worry about small amounts.

Nice to hear that Princess does not charge for room service delivery.

I wonder if the pizza charge is due to the fact that it’s coming from a different kitchen area than the rest of the offerings and has different logistics for delivery.

Recently on RCCL Freedom of the Seas and incurred a 7.95 fee for room service but it was a one time fee for whole delivery regardless of how much. On early port mornings we had hot breakfast for 4 - pancakes, omelettes, ham, bacon etc delivered to our room and I felt the $7.95 was good value.

IMO it’s better value than paying more in surcharge dining venues

hang your checked breakfast menu on your door the night before...no charge for most items including coffee which is almost undrinkable and we stopped ordering it...

Recently completed 34 days on the Diamond Princess. After about the third day I found it more convenient to call room service for breakfast vice hanging the menu on the door. The menu didn’t state all the items available. Often ordered a veggie omelet and hash browns among other items. Never took more than 10 minutes from order to delivery instead of not knowing when during the 1/2 hour time frame on the menu. No extra charge other than the tip I gave the server.

Six months ago on the Emerald, in a balcony cabin, we ordered 2 large breakfasts with scrambled eggs, bacon, pastry, juice, etc.; and room service delivered it within 10 minutes, piping hot. There was no charge. We were impressed with their service and courtesy and gave them a generous tip, as they did so well.:) - EBC