Power in San Juan

Just saw an article on AOL about no electrical power throughout Puerto Rico, with San Juan particularly hit hard. Here is the link:

https://www.aol.com/article/weather/2017/09/21/hurricane-maria-leaves-puerto-rico-facing-months-without-power/23218629/

Wife & I are booked on Jewel's 11/26/17 sailing out of there. Haven't heard anything from Royal Carib. about itinerary changes for that cruise. Looks like everything on our itinerary but Barbados & Grenada really got slammed with Maria or any earlier one. Will contact our TA for advice. She was scheduled for a vacation in the ABC's this past week, flying there.

I think the right thing for RCCL to do is give their clients information on where they currently stand on post hurricane plans. Still want to go on the cruise we're booked for as the Grenada stop allows us to visit our daughter & her husband who live there. But, now, will the boat even go there??? Come on RCCL, give us some information!!!

RCCL is providing information on their website and has been updating daily.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

At the moment, the end of November is way out into the future. I was on the Allure 9/10 that never sailed and now waiting for an itinerary update for Allure 10/29. They have indicated, for the moment, they will make announcements approximately one month out (subject to weather changes I'm sure).

While it stinks (believe me, caught up in 2 this year for me), they will need time to determine which islands can accept ships, etc.

Also, RCCL is providing relief efforts to the impacted islands and I'm sure they need to factor in those continuing humanitarian drops (and I hope they continue that for a long time to come).

Your November 26 cruise is quite a ways out and it has only been a couple of days since the hurricane hit San Juan. You need to be a little more patient with giving everyone time to evaluate the situation.

I do understand the frustration as I am on the Allure Oct 1 cruise. We have already had 2 itinerary changes and most likely another one coming any day now. But this is a devastating hurricane season and decisions can’t be made immediately.

I hope you are able to visit your daughter in Grenada.

Just saw an article on AOL about no electrical power throughout Puerto Rico, with San Juan particularly hit hard. Here is the link:

https://www.aol.com/article/weather/2017/09/21/hurricane-maria-leaves-puerto-rico-facing-months-without-power/23218629/

Wife & I are booked on Jewel's 11/26/17 sailing out of there. Haven't heard anything from Royal Carib. about itinerary changes for that cruise. Looks like everything on our itinerary but Barbados & Grenada really got slammed with Maria or any earlier one. Will contact our TA for advice. She was scheduled for a vacation in the ABC's this past week, flying there.

I think the right thing for RCCL to do is give their clients information on where they currently stand on post hurricane plans. Still want to go on the cruise we're booked for as the Grenada stop allows us to visit our daughter & her husband who live there. But, now, will the boat even go there??? Come on RCCL, give us some information!!!

You're worried about a post Thanksgiving cruise?

Come on DaughterinGrenada, they're dealing with cruises leaving this week!

From RCL this morning...

Weather & Itinerary Update

September 21, 2017 @ 2 PM EDT (next update tomorrow @ 2 PM EDT)

Our thoughts and prayers are with our neighbors in San Juan and the other affected islands as they rebuild after Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

The following sailings are being modified due to Hurricane Maria:

Adventure of the Seas: September 23

Due to the uncertainty of the timing of the port re-opening in San Juan, we anticipate our new departure date will be Wednesday, September 27, sailing a 3-night itinerary to Antigua and St. Kitts.

We know these changes are disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 60% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year.

If you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.

Anthem of the Seas: September 23

Due to the forecasted track of Hurricane Maria, we will be modifying Anthem’s upcoming itinerary and replacing our call in Bermuda with calls on Portland, Maine and Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation. Given the change to this sailing, we will be adding a 50% refund of your cruise fare to your onboard account in the form of a refundable onboard credit. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.

The following sailings are no longer modified:

Empress of the Seas: September 23 & 27; October 2, 7 & 11 Cuba cruise

Yesterday, September 20th, Havana welcomed our Empress of the Seas guests. The terminal, port and transportation were ready and all tours ran as scheduled. The city is ready and receiving visitors and delivering the authentic experience this historical destination is known for.

Additionally, we are happy to announce that we received confirmation that we can return to Key West starting this weekend with our call on Sunday, September 24th. With both Havana and Key West ready, and excited to welcome us, we are now able to offer the Royal Caribbean vacation guests are looking forward to.

Immediately following Hurricane Irma we recognized guests may have had concerns visiting Cuba and offered the ability to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. As Havana and Key West are both ready to welcome guests, our offer will end by close of business Sunday, September 24. All cancellations to receive a cruise credit must be completed by this time so we can offer the stateroom to another traveler.

We look forward to welcoming guests onboard Empress of the Seas for a truly once in a lifetime experience to visit Key West and Havana, Cuba.

Future itineraries:

Given Hurricane Irma’s impact to St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Key West, as well as Hurricane Maria’s impact to San Juan, we are altering the following ports for future sailings until these islands have fully recovered.

As the recovery effort remains fluid and each island is working diligently to get back to normal operations, we will continue to communicate any port changes approximately four weeks prior to departure.

Adventure of the Seas:

9/30 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Croix

10/14 – St. Thomas to St. Croix

Allure of the Seas:

10/1 – St. Thomas to Labadee

10/15 – St. Maarten to Labadee

Enchantment of the Seas:

9/25, 10/2, 10/9 – Key West to Freeport

Harmony of the Seas:

9/23 – St. Kitts, San Juan and Labadee to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Nassau

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

Oasis of the Seas:

9/24 – St. Kitts, San Juan and Labadee to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Nassau

10/8 – St. Maarten to Nassau

Come on RCCL, give us some information!!!

Seriously?? This is MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AWAY. Waaaaaaay to early for them to make any kind of decision on this two days after the storm. Things are changing on a daily basis. You will likely not know for sure for quite some time.

Our cruise is 15 days away and we don't have all of the specifics about possible changes yet. You can't expect RCCL to make immediate decisions that literally impact thousands of people two months out.

Edited by Sascol

Cancel your cruise and fly to Grenada a visit your DD. You should know first hand the effects on her island. You should also have a pretty good idea of how long repairs take then triple or quadruple that because of the widespread destruction, material shortage.

Its a cruise ship not a train so never book a cruise because of a port any of them can be changed and most likely your itinerary will be effected. I know the early word was 4 -6 months before they would have power. I hope and pray that's a exaggeration but since I don't have a crystal ball and I have no idea.

When you look in the mirror, what do you see? People's lives have been devastated, and you're worried that RCI isn't giving you the attention you deserve. Wow.

Oh please. Why don't you take a look in the mirror... with so many people starving in the world you send your food back if is not to your liking.. with so much poverty in the world you are out taking pleasure cruises.

Of course the op is concerned. Does not look like she is going to get what she paid for. I don't blame her one bit.

Oh please. Why don't you take a look in the mirror... with so many people starving in the world you send your food back if is not to your liking.. with so much poverty in the world you are out taking pleasure cruises.

Of course the op is concerned. Does not look like she is going to get what she paid for. I don't blame her one bit.

OP will get their cruise. As it states in the cruise contract, the cruise line reserves the right to make port changes. The OP will be on a cruise ship and have the food, entertainment and use if the ship for the duration if their cruise. As to what ports the ship will stop at, that will be determined by the availability of ports at the time of their sailing. Still plenty of hurricane season left. Pray to God the hurricanes are fine for this year and the Islands can recover.

If OP wants to visit their daughter, they should fly to Granada and spend more than a 6-8 hr port stop together.

The cruise line has every right to change the ships itinerary. You agree to this when you decide to cruise. If you don't like it, don't cruise.

Seriously?? This is MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AWAY. Waaaaaaay to early for them to make any kind of decision on this two days after the storm. Things are changing on a HOURLY basis. You will likely not know for sure for quite some time.

Our cruise is 15 days away and we don't have all of the specifics about possible changes yet. You can't expect RCCL to make immediate decisions that literally impact thousands of people two months out.

Fixed that for you.

And while the power grid is down in PR, many places have backup emergency generators, so they are fine on power. Especially the major hotels.

Does not look like she is going to get what she paid for. I don't blame her one bit.

No, she is getting what she paid for. A CRUISE.

Read the contract. You will get a cruise, or a refund. You are NOT guaranteed an itinerary or any ports of call.

You could be an hour out of port, and have that stopped dropped from the cruise.

She paid for a cruise. She'll get a cruise. End of story.

OP will get their cruise. As it states in the cruise contract, the cruise line reserves the right to make port changes. The OP will be on a cruise ship and have the food, entertainment and use if the ship for the duration if their cruise. As to what ports the ship will stop at, that will be determined by the availability of ports at the time of their sailing. Still plenty of hurricane season left. Pray to God the hurricanes are fine for this year and the Islands can recover.

If OP wants to visit their daughter, they should fly to Granada and spend more than a 6-8 hr port stop together.

The cruise line has every right to change the ships itinerary. You agree to this when you decide to cruise. If you don't like it, don't cruise.

My post had nothing to do with that. It had to do with people's holier than those attitudes.

No, but, I am also unlikely to start whining months in advance about my food. I recognize that I have things better than most people and try to be empathetic. I totally get the she's concerned. That makes sense, it's her comments about Royal's hurricane plan that pushed my buttons..

Sure - be concerned. 100% Legitimate to be concerned. NOT legitimate though for OP to expect RCCL to have an answer and reach out two plus months in advance. Be realistic.

OP is getting what he paid for.....a cruise. Destinations subject to change. Always has been and always will be the case.

Fixed that for you.

And while the power grid is down in PR, many places have backup emergency generators, so they are fine on power. Especially the major hotels.

Emergency generators are just that. They are not designed to operate 24/7 365. They also are sized for minimum load so they may not be able to operate 100% of the hotel.

The PR grid sucked before the hurricane. Maybe since they are starting from scratch, they can at least build out to some kind of code.

Fixed that for you.

Many major hotels have now closed or will be as they are running out of petro..Jim Edds specifically mentioned the Hyatt place told them they had to leave by 6am this morning.

Many major hotels have now closed or will be as they are running out of petro..Jim Edds specifically mentioned the Hyatt place told them they had to leave by 6am this morning.

This! And the other post with itinerary changes: 9/24 Enchantment, no stop in SJ.

So RC expects people to fly to PR, many doing so at least one day prior, to leave for cruise but there's probably no hotel to stay at and ships won't stop for the day either. Hmmmm....

I can see both sides. Total devastation, homes and personal items lost. But to expect an update w/i a 48 hr window of embarking is pushing it. Unneeded people wandering thru the streets is kinda pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The thing too is while much of these islands are damaged there are some that weren't as bad. You can see that they are fixing them fast. Take Key West for example they are "welcoming" ships starting this weekend. Several who live there think it's crazy because so much is still bad but for those who can open they want and need the customers as soon as possible so they can start making money again. Many of these businesses can't wait forever to reopen so if there is any way possible they want tourist to start spending money now. They more money small business make the sooner the islands can recover and they can feed their families.

Emergency generators are just that. They are not designed to operate 24/7 365. They also are sized for minimum load so they may not be able to operate 100% of the hotel.

The PR grid sucked before the hurricane. Maybe since they are starting from scratch, they can at least build out to some kind of code.

Hmm, have you ever worked with or around emergency generators?????? Have you ever been in locations where emergency or backup generators are common?

A properly designed emergency generator system will handle the full load of the facility. And in most cases, they have 2 or more generators, each of which can handle the full load, so they can switch between them to do things like oil changes.

Even for homes. My Dad has an emergency generator that runs his entire house when the power goes off.

But yes, there are some system designs that only run essential things. But that is for small facilities, that can operate that way.

I guarantee, the big hotels are fully operational on their emergency generators. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, in countries were power outages occur, and the only way you know that you have switched to generator, is the around 1 minute lack of power. And listening carefully to hear it running.

I also work around facilities that have emergency generator systems, and in some cases they have had to run months or even years on generator power due to local conditions.

Poor planning on their part.

But fuel will be arriving, but it takes a few days as it has to come by ship, not airplane.