Packing tips/tricks?

weskelly

Hello! My husband and I are cruising this weekend (EEE!!!) and I'm finalizing my packing list and will be running out for last minute things this week some time. What are your favorite packing tips and tricks that you wouldn't sail without? This is our 2nd cruise and the two tips we took on last year's cruise was packing an over-the-door shoe holder for the back of the bathroom door to hold all of our toiletries and whatnot and then packing some clothesline and clothes pins to string up on the balcony to dry swimsuits.

We do plan to TRY packing more light this time and taking advantage of the laundry service mid-cruise. We enjoyed the discount day they did last year and thought we could have packed much less if we'd known/planned for that.

We also grossly underestimated the amount of sunscreen in those little travel sized sunscreen bottles and had to purchase more from the ship's store. ($$) So we'll be bringing more sunscreen this time around (and bug spray!).

I'd love to hear your tips/tricks for packing! Thanks so much! :)

Thank you, these are great! We do plan to have our meds and documents and a change of clothes in the carryons.

When we went on our honeymoon, we had a huge delay in taking off and they ended up delaying our flight by 8 hours. The airport set us up in a nearby hotel, but we had no toiletries at all and then had to take a 12.5 hr flight the next day. It was rough!

We always take the skinny lanyards along. Once onboard, we go straight to guest services to have them hole punch our Seapass cards so we can wear them around our necks. So much easier for me ( I tend to misplace things ...)[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not going on one of the big oasis type ships, you might want to bring battery driven tea lights. They are a great nite lite in the bathroom. I bring a dollar store hamper to collect smalls that I can was by hand

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Hang any damp items on a hanger and hang from the AIR VENT in the cabin. Things will dry quickly and won't have salt spray in them! For swim suits, after being in the pool, rinse off under the shower by the pool, towel off and sit in the sun for a few mins. You won't need to "rinse" your suit again, and it will be damp...not wet....and will dry fast!

For sunscreen, you need 1 oz (a shot glass full) every 2 hours for each adult! Those little bottles will NOT do it! Most folks don't apply it correctly...put it on BEFORE you get to the pool...30 mins. prior to being in the sun! Re-apply every 2 hours, or when you towel off!!

When we were new to cruising we overpacked with a Capital O. Once I got a lot smarter about it, I reduced our stuff to a minimum--all of my clothes are in a similar palette, mix 'n match, and many items (especially pants/capris) are worn over and over again. This has also greatly reduced the number of shoes I need. DH stopped taking his tux for formal nights years ago, as that alone required too much "stuff." He wears dark dress slacks and a sport jacket, and always looks very handsome;) I wear black slinky pants (think Chicos Travelers,) with nice tops.

Try to keep it simple. Try to avoid packing clothing items/shoes that are too bulky, and that can't be re-worn.

Also, this has helped me a lot, especially since my memory isn't what it used to be: make a master packing list and store it in a word document that you can print out and tweak for each trip. I've been doing this for 10 years, and it's helped me to not forget anything!

I use dry cleaner plastic bags between each layer of clothes when packing. It really cuts down on any wrinkles.

We always pack a pop up hamper. I pack one of those inexpensive shoe holders to hang on the back of the bathroom door. It's great for storing all our sundries including our plentiful supply of sunscreen.

Having a packing list is a must, it helps minimize overpacking. Don't pack too early, again this tends to cause you to overpack as you may double pack items. Pack less toiletries, these are bulky and difficult to pack so really think about how much shampoo and conditioner you really need for your trip. Cross packing is a good idea if you have checked bags otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Use the carry on for items you actually need right away or you would hate to lose, I.e. Jewelry, electronics and at least two days worth of clothes. Try solid sunscreen as an option, easier to pack without worrying about liquids. Mix and match clothing is a must this allows you outfit options without overpacking. unless you are doing an active adventure type vacation where you know you're going to sweat and get dirty daily this should work. Shoes will be the bulkiest so consider them carefully, what do you really need...I'd say one pairs of walking/hiking around pair, one pair sandals/flip flop and maybe one pair that can be used as a dressier pair. Honestly, packing is very personal and you do you. If you consider nothing else plan your outfits and make a list. Having that checklist that you check off as you pack will help de-stress the process...I do also recommend packing an extra bag, think soft tote bag type, for souvenirs and gifts

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jmckay331

We pack a collapsible hamper. Bring a night light for your room for the evening trips to the bathroom. not knowing how long your cruise is, but when bringing evening slacks Our 7 day cruise next July we are only bringing carry on luggage.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

If you're not going on one of the big oasis type ships, you might want to bring battery driven tea lights. They are a great nite lite in the bathroom. I bring a dollar store hamper to collect smalls that I can was by hand

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

What a great idea to bring battery tea lights!

Zip lock bags. Best tip I ever got on these boards...years ago. I can get an entire outfit of shorts, t, undies in one. Packing and unpacking is a breeze and if you compress the air out, it saves space too. I mark a big X on the baggies with the dirty clothes when repacking to leave the ship. Also handy for anything damp. We mix and match the clothes and they do double duty or they don't go. Minimize the number of shoes and never carry a pair of shoes that are uncomfortable. Copy all documents, credit cards, passport, excursions, plane tickets, etc and e-mail to yourself in case something gets lost or stolen.

I pack a garbage bag that I leave in the suitcase under the bed for dirty clothes. I now pack all toiletries in zip lock bags after an incident with toothpaste lets just say my luggage smelled minty fresh. Lol :)

Hello! My husband and I are cruising this weekend (EEE!!!) and I'm finalizing my packing list and will be running out for last minute things this week some time. What are your favorite packing tips and tricks that you wouldn't sail without? This is our 2nd cruise and the two tips we took on last year's cruise was packing an over-the-door shoe holder for the back of the bathroom door to hold all of our toiletries and whatnot and then packing some clothesline and clothes pins to string up on the balcony to dry swimsuits.

We do plan to TRY packing more light this time and taking advantage of the laundry service mid-cruise. We enjoyed the discount day they did last year and thought we could have packed much less if we'd known/planned for that.

We also grossly underestimated the amount of sunscreen in those little travel sized sunscreen bottles and had to purchase more from the ship's store. ($$) So we'll be bringing more sunscreen this time around (and bug spray!).

I'd love to hear your tips/tricks for packing! Thanks so much! :)

Regarding the bug spray, one person suggested using the wipes! I didn't know they had bug spray wipes! So I already picked up some of those for when we go in December.

... packing some clothesline and clothes pins to string up on the balcony to dry swimsuits

As far as I know that's not allowed, but the hanging from the air vent trick as mentioned works for us.

Other tips?

We keep the biggest suitcase under the bed and put (folded) dirty clothes in it as we go.

DW always brings too many shoes and I always realize at the end of the cruise I didn't need so many pairs of pants (at least on warm weather cruises). Basically the flip side of the suggestion about mix and match outfits.

I iron and pack all my shirts, slacks at the last minute. I use a large suitcase and neatly fold them over once, separating with dry cleaning bags. Unpack as soon as delivered and spray with a bit of wrinkle releaser. Good to go.

I wear size 14 shoes, so minimizing the number of pairs I bring really cuts down on my luggage.

Anything hanging on the balcony is a no-no, so leave the clothesline home. This is both due to items blowing away, and potential fire hazards if somebody discards a cigarette and it blows there. They announced this repeatedly on our last Liberty sailing.

I make a cruise packing list and adjust it after each trip so I have a reference for my next cruise. Some things people say you gotta have, you may never use, or you may not be able to live without. Checking things off the list as they go in the luggage helps keep me from forgetting stuff at home.

A small battery travel alarm (back-lit) is a must for us.

I always bring a white mailer envelope that will fit in the safe. The type you would mail a book or something in. Everything goes in the envelope and then in the safe that way nothing gets overlooked or left behind. We put our passports, return travel documents, car keys, cash, phones and jewelry (when we go into port) in the envelope. It can be difficult to see the back corners of the safe. You can also use a small shoe box lid or something similar.

I agree with Janet24. We have backpacks and carry changes of clothes, a Katadyn water bottle and chargers, copies of all papers, I carry a vest which fits in a bag tied to it. Nice to slip on arriving from India to Washington from 80 degree to snow. We carry a burner phone and leave the rest at home. Keep it simple and you'll find you didn't need all the clothing anyway.

Edited by WupperAV