Severe Trojan virus

BoDidly

Not sure where to report this but this site has severe virus problems. Sorry looked to report it elsewhere and found none. Trojan Html Brocoiner.rfn. This is not a fluke. CRUISE CRITIC has a severe problem . Please notify the techs here.

FYI ... I just ran a scan and it found nothing. Now, I don't know if my spyware program is good or just OK or is the worst out there ... but it says historically it has found 0 threats.

Read my previous post. I'm on an old phone posting this .So far the Microsoft has found 500 hits on this virus. I truly apologize for placing it here

Just didn't find nowhere to post.

And this is a New Windows machine this month.

Read my previous post. I'm on an old phone posting this .So far the Microsoft has found 500 hits on this virus. I truly apologize for placing it here

Just didn't find nowhere to post.

And this is a New Windows machine this month.

I absolutely believe you. I am not disputing what you have found and are reporting. I am only stating what I have done and 'seen' on my computer. Like I said ... could be the worst spyware out there.

• Administrators

More than likely this is an issue on your windows machine and not one from Cruise Critic. Not to downplay your report, if you can provide details on how you believe this happened while you were on Cruise Critic, then I can investigate fully.

Laura

I agree with Laura.... This is likely a isolated case where an individuals computer is infected via other means. Only possibility of any tie into Cruise Critic would be if someone posted a link or URL in a thread which was infected which would require a member to access that link/URL which many times your anti- virus software will catch and inform you.

Thanks for your understanding. I'm not computer savvy enough to give all the correct answers. What I do know is windows defender only gave notices when I visited this site. A screen would flash over cruise critic with warnings of a virus attack warning. It only happen when visiting this site. I now have run the Microsoft software for six hours with no results or signs of it finishing the removal. I'm not one to call wolf so thanks for letting this warning stand. I have received a warning from an ad on my old phone as the other poster mention. I must have ticked someone off pretty good. :D . I'll fight it for awhile before I just redo that machine. :(

I've had issues with malware being imbedded in some CC content in the past while having Windows Defender.

I switched to Malwarebytes and now get warnings prior to opening a possible malicious posting, saving me the trouble of having to remove it after the damage is done.

I think Cruise Critic must know about this because several times lately their website has been down for maintenance (much more than normal). I also have seen the Chinese garbage on this board. Of course CC won't advertise it because that's bad for business.

I have seen isolated incidents around the web where Google and other ad spaces are commandeered by malicious sites. Usually these do not last long until Google or the other ad space seller shuts down the offender and closes up the hole that they got through.

More likely in this case is the user had a piece of malware on the machine already, that redirected traffic to further malware.

True viruses are quite rare nowadays as OS'es have gotten quite hardy against them, but malware is just as common as ever - perhaps more so. Malwarebytes is perhaps the best tool against these types of things. Spybot Search & Destroy used to be a recommended removal tool as well, but I'm not sure how it compares to Malwarebytes. I've been on a Mac for 10 years or more and haven't had to worry about these things so much since I switched.

Best advice: keep your Windows Update and your anti-virus software up-to-date on a daily basis. I'm on these boards daily and get notified by my software when an issue arises or my software blocks it automatically and tells me. Yes I've seen the Chinese content, but have had no virus issues by keeping Windows Update and anti-virus software up to date. FWIW I use Norton anti-virus software. Also, I use Ad Blocker Plus recommended by others right here on this board. Since some of these viruses seem to be embedded in third party ad content, that continues to be a great recommendation.

Edited by winddawn

I have seen isolated incidents around the web where Google and other ad spaces are commandeered by malicious sites. Usually these do not last long until Google or the other ad space seller shuts down the offender and closes up the hole that they got through.

More likely in this case is the user had a piece of malware on the machine already, that redirected traffic to further malware.

True viruses are quite rare nowadays as OS'es have gotten quite hardy against them, but malware is just as common as ever - perhaps more so. Malwarebytes is perhaps the best tool against these types of things. Spybot Search & Destroy used to be a recommended removal tool as well, but I'm not sure how it compares to Malwarebytes. I've been on a Mac for 10 years or more and haven't had to worry about these things so much since I switched.

Lots of 3rd party ads on cc, which are needed to pay for their costs of running. Problem is the not so nice advertisers sneak in thru the cracks with their malware. Close up one and another appears later. And not all of them will be fixed by MS or malware. You will get an occasional PITA. If you know the name of the offender, google it for other suggestions how to kill it.