Panama Canal Ports BEWARE

Leafpeeper

Todays new's Miami = https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-says-armed-guard-banned-disney-cruise-25-weeks-pregnant-144913615.html

Armed guards with machine guns at Disney stop a pregnant lady.

OK, seriously. Nowhere in the article does it say that Armed Guards with "machine guns" stopped her. It said cruise line staff. Disney did not let her on because she didn't read the contract.

On a different note, everyone is assuming that a rifle is a "machine gun". I can almost guarantee you that any police you see in the US carrying a rifle is NOT a machine gun. The lamestream media wants everyone to think that every AR-15 (or other rifle for that matter) is a fully-automatic machine gun. They are not. An AR-15 has the same fire rate as a standard handgun.... one trigger pull, one bullet. I don't believe police officers are legally allowed to carry automatic weapons in the US. In other countries and ports, they very well may have automatic weapons. Either way, I feel much safer with them around.

OK, seriously. Nowhere in the article does it say that Armed Guards with "machine guns" stopped her. It said cruise line staff. Disney did not let her on because she didn't read the contract.

On a different note, everyone is assuming that a rifle is a "machine gun". I can almost guarantee you that any police you see in the US carrying a rifle is NOT a machine gun. The lamestream media wants everyone to think that every AR-15 (or other rifle for that matter) is a fully-automatic machine gun. They are not. An AR-15 has the same fire rate as a standard handgun.... one trigger pull, one bullet. I don't believe police officers are legally allowed to carry automatic weapons in the US. In other countries and ports, they very well may have automatic weapons. Either way, I feel much safer with them around.

Did ya miss the guy with multiple weapons in the Vidio. :rolleyes:

this.

we are sailing Star thru PC leaving next Sunday. the only port where i will stay on ship is Acapulco given its Level 4 warning.

we had machine guns on the streets of Boston and at Logan Airport after the marathon bombing. still see them at certain airports on a regular basis throughout the US.

BostonGal, that may be wise. Last Feb we did Panama Canal Cruise with NCL. The only port that seemed scary / unsafe was Acapulco. Saw many armed police and was told by tour guides not to go off on our own. We did a ship's tour to see cliff divers and were fine as long as we stayed with the NCL Tour group.

Todays new's Miami = https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-says-armed-guard-banned-disney-cruise-25-weeks-pregnant-144913615.html

Armed guards with machine guns at Disney stop a pregnant lady.

Read the cruise contract, follow the policies, quit acting like she was someone special and she wouldn't have to stare down on the black gun which was being held at port arms position and never pointed at her in a threatening manner.

If you don't want to see police with guns, come visit New Orleans. You can tour the city all day and never see a policeman. Of course, we read in the papers everyday about robberies and murders there.

We would feel much safer traveling in New Orleans if we did see police everywhere we went like we used to many years ago.

• 5 months later...
After sailing on NCL Star Panama Canal cruise in February, we wished we had waited to take NCL Gem next January instead because they will be visiting Aruba and Curaco before Panama and Ixtapa (my fav Pacific port). Our cruise stopped in Cartenaga, Columbia (huge city), Nicaragua, and more DANGEROUS San Jose, Guatemala. On a ride to the beach in Guatemala, we spotted Police with machine guns every three feet. We cancelled our beach trip and prayed we would make it back to the ship safely. This was not the 50th anniversary cruise I expected. Such a disappointment. Buyer beware!

I really appreciate this incredibly important post, never take chances with safety. Aruba is magnificent to bad you did not get there on the gem

Is there really anyplace left in the carribien, central and South America and North America that is truly safe? All ports are trying their best to protect visitors, and give a sense of safety. Unfortunately there are many people who for various reasons will attempt to destroy the sense of being safe. Personally I feel threatened more by vendors and people trying to sell me something. Lastly you should always research beforehand

OP,

You need to get out more.

There are visible armed police (or military) in many countries when you visit.

They are common, for example, in the tourist areas of Mexico, on the streets in Costa Rica, and yes, in Aruba last week.

There even were armed guards in Paris, France during one of our visits.

And even more frightening are those yoyos with gun permits in the USA....

amen.

Last November there were a ton of police armed with scary looking rifles at FLL airport. You'd think we were in some dangerous country or something.

P.S. That said, I will no longer disembark in Mexico.

this.

we are sailing Star thru PC leaving next Sunday. the only port where i will stay on ship is Acapulco given its Level 4 warning.

we had machine guns on the streets of Boston and at Logan Airport after the marathon bombing. still see them at certain airports on a regular basis throughout the US.

I've seen guards with dogs in South & North MBTA commuter rail stations in Boston. It's the world we live in now.

Op pay no mind to anyone who has been abrubt or rude to you on this thread you are right to feel how you did and question your safety, there are MANY people who would feel the same way.

On one of my trips to Bermuda (a few years ago) I got off the boat and there was armed military every few feet in port and I remember thinking *** is up with Bermuda today! If there was some kind of threat it would be nice to know about it. Anyway after talking to the military guys they told me they do regular trainings and this was simply a training exercise. Felt much better. I'm from NY and I'm use to seeing armed military in Penn station etc. but that took me by surprise and made me question my safety, not from the armed military by WHY they were there on this particular day.

So, Im feeling ya I get it. That being said I wouldn't let it stop me from visiting I would just be extra careful and be street smart always no matter where you are, and most definitely in NY ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Nicely said 2Beeze!

:) :) :)

Although it seems that whatever I said is gone - no clue why that would be, definitely wouldn’t have been a flame. How odd when that happens, maybe I’m not welcomed and didn’t realize it lol oh well!

Lynn

Although it seems that whatever I said is gone - no clue why that would be, definitely wouldn’t have been a flame. How odd when that happens, maybe I’m not welcomed and didn’t realize it lol oh well!

Lynn

Lynn, have fun on the AOS, I hope you post a review.

You'll see police carrying machine guys in Frankfurt and other airports as well. In cruise ports they're there to warn away troublemakers and to keep passengers safe, because they want tourists to feel safe. After some robberies on Mexican cruise, the lines cut way back on cruises there, but now there are more cruises doing the Cabo/Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta route, with the new Carnival Panorama megaship going year-round there, and it looks as if Norwegian is sending the Joy to do Mexico cruises for most of the winter after its Alaska season.

Lynn

This is like going through the Bermuda Triangle. There was nothing wrong in your post. I replied saying I had met the OP and her husband back in 2011 and they are very nice people and all she was doing was expressing her opinion. My post went away too.

This is like going through the Bermuda Triangle. There was nothing wrong in your post. I replied saying I had met the OP and her husband back in 2011 and they are very nice people and all she was doing was expressing her opinion. My post went away too.

I fully understand there are problem posts, but it honestly feels bad when I have a post disappear that was not problematic as far as I can see and to the best of my knowledge not quoting material from someone else significantly negative enough to be removed. Some time back I wrote to inquire about one such post (because it was actually an important one to me as it was to someone like me who had been widowed), but have not as yet had any response. I would really just like to understand.

I did remember the gist of what I had posted on this thread and realized you posted before mine disappeared into the triangle you note LOL But I wanted to send the appreciation to you (somewhat late) since it seems that positivity happens too rarely! :) Maybe it’s because I am a behavioral scientist that I realize that people have to evaluate someone from their own unique set of circumstances - in my profession, it is unethical to judge them without those facts considered. If you live in parts of Chicago, gun fire in the middle of the night every night might seem normal, but in my neighborhood it would be cause for alarm. And if I went into that Chicago neighborhood I would have a negative reaction even if it’s “standard” for those living there. The couple was not bad or wrong for their feelings and the seeming verbal attacks that came so rapidly really bothered me. They were trying to be helpful. I can’t find understand why those who didn’t find it helpful didn’t just go on their merry way – it didn’t seem useful or very nice to try to make them feel ignorant.

Sometimes I have to say something even when I know the fire is coming. And I so appreciate those willing to do the same! Thanks! :D

Lynn

Lynn, have fun on the AOS, I hope you post a review.

With the last crazy week I am soooooo ready! I had a tooth that really starting hurting yesterday, but told it to stop :evilsmile: because I am going on my cruise and won’t be stopped!!! :D We are usually on NCL (and will again in the new year), but this will be on RCL’s Allure so we are looking forward to the totally new experience! :cool: Snorkeling here I come!

Lynn

So you’re basically saying nothing has change in South American countries since at least 1983. That was when as a 20 year old I took my first cruise and one of the stops was Caracas, Venezuela. Every street corner had armed police in full riot gear with automatic weapons. I also spent time in Europe as a military member in the 80’s when bombings were frequent. As others have said. Do your research, know the situation and make good choices. Unfortunately in this day and age anything can happen to you anywhere in any country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fully understand there are problem posts, but it honestly feels bad when I have a post disappear that was not problematic as far as I can see and to the best of my knowledge not quoting material from someone else significantly negative enough to be removed. Some time back I wrote to inquire about one such post (because it was actually an important one to me as it was to someone like me who had been widowed), but have not as yet had any response. I would really just like to understand.

I did remember the gist of what I had posted on this thread and realized you posted before mine disappeared into the triangle you note LOL But I wanted to send the appreciation to you (somewhat late) since it seems that positivity happens too rarely! :) Maybe it’s because I am a behavioral scientist that I realize that people have to evaluate someone from their own unique set of circumstances - in my profession, it is unethical to judge them without those facts considered. If you live in parts of Chicago, gun fire in the middle of the night every night might seem normal, but in my neighborhood it would be cause for alarm. And if I went into that Chicago neighborhood I would have a negative reaction even if it’s “standard” for those living there. The couple was not bad or wrong for their feelings and the seeming verbal attacks that came so rapidly really bothered me. They were trying to be helpful. I can’t find understand why those who didn’t find it helpful didn’t just go on their merry way – it didn’t seem useful or very nice to try to make them feel ignorant.

Sometimes I have to say something even when I know the fire is coming. And I so appreciate those willing to do the same! Thanks! :D

Lynn

It is easy here for people to disparage people they haven't met or might have different perspective.

We met Mary and Jim (IIRC) on the Star. First at a CC pre-meet at the bar above the pool before sailaway. Then at the CC M&G. Then we ran into them at Hudsons in Vancouver. Shared van to airport out of Long Beach.

Very nice couple - not cranky old people. Always upbeat - it was like being with your grandparents.

It is easy here for people to disparage people they haven't met or might have different perspective.

We met Mary and Jim (IIRC) on the Star. First at a CC pre-meet at the bar above the pool before sailaway. Then at the CC M&G. Then we ran into them at Hudsons in Vancouver. Shared van to airport out of Long Beach.

Very nice couple - not cranky old people. Always upbeat - it was like being with your grandparents.

Exactly - it’s what I imagine in my head when it seems people are attacking (especially when so many seem to launch a small or even giant written torpedo at someone for a little reason [it seems to me] other than to impress themselves with how culturally aware they are or how intelligent they believe themselves to be). I think that I am culturally aware and fairly bright, but to me any need that I have to try to prove those facts to random people online falls far short of the empathy I try to have for people and an importance on just trying being nice (shameful as that has clearly become and as short as I fall of the goal at times). That is especially so when in my head I imagine an older couple like my parents who are doing nothing but trying to be helpful or to ask a basic question... then, I have to be honest, I see shades of purple and want to protect them (even if they have no need or desire for it).

Thanks again - hope to meet you on the high seas one of these days (and them) :D

Lynn