New ships have no full outside walk around on any deck

kruisey

Have not been on Royal ,Regal,Majestic.Just looked at their deck plans.

Was this Princesses choice or do Customers prefer limited outdoor spaces ?

I know I am old fashioned,well I am old but one would go to sea to get the wonderful fresh air,walk around and see the view from every aspect including the cool side to sun side and the magnificent wake at the back.

Now I think I would feel caged in not having that freedom to walk the whole mile if you know what I mean.

Have not been on Royal ,Regal,Majestic.Just looked at their deck plans.

Was this Princesses choice or do Customers prefer limited outdoor spaces ?

I know I am old fashioned,well I am old but one would go to sea to get the wonderful fresh air,walk around and see the view from every aspect including the cool side to sun side and the magnificent wake at the back.

Now I think I would feel caged in not having that freedom to walk the whole mile if you know what I mean.

Lots of discussions on the lack of a promenade deck.

Here is one extensive one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1897386&highlight=royal+promenade+deck

There hasn't been a true walk-around Promenade deck on Princess ships in years. Maybe decades. Most require you to go up stairs at the bow plus the Promenade is much narrower than on older ships.

On the new ships such as the Royal, Regal and Majestic, the position of lifeboats was required to be changed due to SOLAS regulations in that they must be immediately accessible in an emergency.

I, for one, don't miss the full promenade at all. It discourages the joggers and sends them up to the Sun deck where they belong. Nothing worse than trying to take a leisurely stroll and constantly having to dodge joggers yelling, "behind you" and "on your left."

Our first cruise was on Sea Princess. Wonderful wide full Promenade with room for loungers as well as walkers. We just assumed that was how all cruise ships were. D'Oh! We were quickly disabused of that notion when we took more cruises.

Feel they could have managed the lifeboats and the promenade deck .I used to be a jogger did 10Ks but now forced to be a walker .Apparently even when the bones are beginning to crumble and the marrow bone dries up muscles continue to grow but if one does no exercise they don't.Yes there is an exercise center in an air conditioned atmosphere:eek:.I am just off on a Princess cruise for 32 days were there is a promenade deck with stairs on outside forward plus the magnificent wake in all its glory at its aft:D:hearteyes::halo:

I, for one, don't miss the full promenade at all. It discourages the joggers and sends them up to the Sun deck where they belong. Nothing worse than trying to take a leisurely stroll and constantly having to dodge joggers yelling, "behind you" and "on your left."

Nothing is worse than trying to take a leisurely jog and have people walking three abreast...... How hard is it to walk on one side without weaving all over the place???

Nothing is worse than trying to take a leisurely jog and have people walking three abreast...... How hard is it to walk on one side without weaving all over the place???

Pretty hard -- if you have the Premium Beverage Package! :D

My DHand I have enjoyed using the promenade decks on the Sapphire,Crown and Caribbean Princess ships for our daily walks.

We did miss this activity on the three cruises to the Caribbean that we have taken on the Regal Princess because of the limited walking space on that ship's promenade deck.

We did use the upper deck.walking track on the Regal. It is comfortable to walk on this track.when the ship is sailing because of the breeze from being underway.

The track area can become quite warm when the ship is docked in port unless a person chooses to walk in the very early morning.

We found the Regal'promenade deck to be a good spot for watching the wake or taking a short stroll after dinner.

The placement of the lifeboats on the newer built ships may very well be the reason for the demise of the wide promenade decks.

We sailed on the NCL Breakaway and noticed the decreased width of the promenade deck and the placement of the lifeboats to be similar.to that of the Regal Princess.

The wide,walkable promenade deck may be going in the same direction as the majority of male passengers in tuxes and women in ballgowns on formal nights.

Change is the absolute of life-we should recognize this even if we find it difficult to accept.

It just seems that the lack of a promenade deck take away from the whole a sea experience. We have no interest walking around in an indoor mall or faux Central Park so we'll never be sailing on the mega RCI ships. We were happy to rebook a cruise on the Coral.

It just seems that the lack of a promenade deck take away from the whole a sea experience. We have no interest walking around in an indoor mall or faux Central Park so we'll never be sailing on the mega RCI ships. We were happy to rebook a cruise on the Coral.

I agree, we were on the Regal last October and although saw the deck diagrams, were sorely disappointed when we took a walk on the Promenade deck. Overall it's a beautiful ship but miss that wide, peaceful promenade deck. AND we will be on the Coral in May, always special since it was our first Princess cruise and LOVED this ship!

The wide,walkable promenade deck may be going in the same direction as the majority of male passengers in tuxes and women in ballgowns on formal nights.

Change is the absolute of life-we should recognize this even if we find it difficult to accept.

So true....we like all of the Princess ships and we are not going allow ourselves to be limited by seeing the world if there is not a full Promenade Deck on a ship.....the fun part of sailing is seeing how the industry is changing even if the passengers do not want to.....:cool:

The ships could have had the concerns about lifeboats addressed without loosing the promenade , undo sliding rails which instantly gives one access to the lifeboats on the outside.We have fire doors on the corridors .Would one have no corridors due to potential fires?. Let's see it from that prospective.

Unfortunately for those that prefer fresh sea breeze to air conditioning they are loosing out to the business angle more cabins increased revenue ........

Yes I do know about the earlier posts from over 4 years ago.

Princess stated they where adding a Walk around on Promenade Deck Regal Princess.

Looking at that deck I notice they did but when it comes to the aft section the most spectacular area the wake is blocked due to

two large suites taking up the whole aft of the ship:eek::eek:

They don't make ships like the Coral any more, what a wonderful wide promenade deck! While I miss the promenade on the Royal class, there is a great walking and jogging track up on the sports deck which we utilize regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed....The Coral is AWESOME !!!!

I also lament the disappearance of the full wraparound promenade deck. But all contemporary cruise ships are unfortunately like that. The only modern ones I can think of where one can walk around the whole ship on an open deck is the Carnival Spirit class. (Even then you have to cross inside at one point.) Regal Princess is a beautiful ship, but I fear it seems less like you are on a ship. The exterior promenade area is relatively small. I want to hear the ocean and feel the sea breeze at close range! Caribbean Princess is upcoming this summer, so I shall have to see how it addresses promenading. :)

Yes I do know about the earlier posts from over 4 years ago.

Princess stated they where adding a Walk around on Promenade Deck Regal Princess.

Looking at that deck I notice they did but when it comes to the aft section the most spectacular area the wake is blocked due to

two large suites taking up the whole aft of the ship:eek::eek:

Actually, you can sit in teak loungers and watch the wake on the promenade deck on the Regal and Royal. We have.

IMG_0799_zps600adcf2.jpg