Help - don't know where to start

Ashnal

Hi guys,

I'm new to cruise critic.

I'm a first time cruiser (wannabe at this point).

We are a family of 4 (children's ages 10 and 7).

I was thinking Disney cruise but my pocketbook thinks otherwise ;p. I was also thinking Mediterranean but we are also open to the Caribbean.

Any recommendations - destination, duration, cruise line, best time of year?

Thanks very much!

Would you by chance have access to a travel agent?

The tough part here is we need to ask you a lot of questions, like when can you go? That will determine a lot of info, which will generate more questions.

I would suggest the Caribbean for a start, 7 days..maybe on the Allure, Oasis or Harmony of the Seas. That might cover the "surface" issues I see.

Assuming you vacation when the kids are out of school;

Summer - Mediterranean preferred over Caribbean because Caribbean is too hot for many and hurricane season starts in the summer.

March beak or Christmas - Caribbean (hot)

Length - Max 7 days, some people don't like cruising so keep you initial cruise relatively short.

If you are in the US, a Med cruise with cost of airfare might equal the cost of Disney in the Caribbean. You first need to decide where you want to go, what your budget is, do you want to drive to the port, or fly? and then start looking for a cruise line or ship. EM

You might find the Family Cruising section as a good place to get started:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Without going into a long dissertaion about passports and travel documents, your itinerary and country of citizenship will determine what you will need. People who have only traveled within the US rarely give this a thought. (There are recent posts in this forum where people will be denied boarding due to lost, improper, and/or expired documents.)

At ages 7 and 10 your children are in school so you will also have to schedule around school holidays.

For family cruises with the younger ones, we enjoy bigger Norwegian ships in the Caribbean. The kids love the slides, mini golf, bowling and on the Getaway and Escape...the ropes course. Sometimes they offer drink packages included in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Watch YouTube videos and determine which cruise line “demographically” suits your family. I might suggest that since your children are both under 11 then they can cruise for free with MSC! Both the Seaside and Divina cruise from Port of Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Freedom class ships on Royal Caribbean have water slides, ice skating, mini golf, arcades (extra cost), kids clubs for all ages, kids pools, flow rider (simulated surf), rock climbing. There are limited meet & greets with some cartoon characters (Sorry...my boys are 29 and 24, so I don’t know who the characters are!!). Freedom class ships are big enough, but not gigantic.

My first cruise was a 12 night Med. cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Rome. We were three generations on board and it was just wonderful! Haven’t stopped since!!!!!

If you are based in N.Am. a Caribbean cruise would be the most pocketbook friendly.

Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean have ships with fun activities like water slides, rock climbing walls, etc. Both also have very good supervised programs for young people. Both also have theme characters and related activities.

Also, if you are on a port intensive cruise the on board activities become a little less important as you spend less so time on sea days. Just depends on what you are looking for in a cruise.... seeing new countries and cultures or relaxing on the ship. My son got to grow up seeing so many countries that few his age are able to experience. He is 24 now and still loves to cruise!!!!!

What kind of vacation do you want? Caribbean cruises are more about the ship and it's activities....Med and Europe cruises are more about sightseeing.

Any time of year is summer in the Caribbean (that doesn't include Bahamas or Bermuda, despite what the brochures say!)....those places have Florida like weather, which can be cool in Dec/Jan/Feb.....not freezing, but cool. The Caribbean is very warm to HOT all year round.

I agree you should look for a TA. We can't recommend one here so I would ask people you know who you respect for a recommendation.

Keith

Absolutely! You so need a travel agent recommendation from a trusted friend/ aquaintance who gets to know you and your total desires, type of cabin, and how much you want to spend.

While recommendations for which cruise line/ destination posted here are "well meaning" ... not the total help you really need.

Hi guys,

I'm new to cruise critic.

I'm a first time cruiser (wannabe at this point).

We are a family of 4 (children's ages 10 and 7).

I was thinking Disney cruise but my pocketbook thinks otherwise ;p. I was also thinking Mediterranean but we are also open to the Caribbean.

Any recommendations - destination, duration, cruise line, best time of year?

Thanks very much!

Definitely look other than Disney. I love Disney (have a trip planned to WDW in a few weeks), but their cruise rates are ridiculous being in some cases almost twice as much as other mass-market lines. We like Royal caribbean and my children and now grandchildren loved/love the kids program called "Adventure Ocean". JMO! Hope you find something that works for you. :D