Bibles in cabin???

micruiser2002

Yes

The question is whether they put bibles for all the faiths that may be sailing on Celebrity or just christian bibles. If I demanded that the christian bible be removed and that it be replaced w a Jewish or Muslim or some other faith, do you think that they would do it. I doubt it. This means that Celebrity has now become a christian oriented cruise line.

Think about it. I find that very bothersome.

DON

No disrespect intended. I acknowledge & respect all religions and the freedom to practice such. However, if travelling with a Bible is of importance, one should pack a Scripture of choice.

As an individual of the Jewish Faith, I do not rely upon outside sources to provide what is important to me in order to celebrate my religion.

Safe travels.

Hmm. Somehow I doubt that Celebrity spends money on thousands of Bibles. More likely, they are placed on the ships by the Gideon Society- the same organization that places them in hotels, hospitals and colleges.

Donaldsc, if you know of a similar Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or other religious organization that does similar work, I'm sure they'd be happy to also supply the ships with copies of their holy scriptures. But I don't think they'd appreciate having them called bibles.

Hmm. Somehow I doubt that Celebrity spends money on thousands of Bibles. More likely, they are placed on the ships by the Gideon Society- the same organization that places them in hotels, hospitals and colleges.

Donaldsc, if you know of a similar Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or other religious organization that does similar work, I'm sure they'd be happy to also supply the ships with copies of their holy scriptures. But I don't think they'd appreciate having them called bibles.

Yep last time I saw one it was a Gideon’s

No disrespect intended. I acknowledge & respect all religions and the freedom to practice such. However, if travelling with a Bible is of importance, one should pack a Scripture of choice.

As an individual of the Jewish Faith, I do not rely upon outside sources to provide what is important to me in order to celebrate my religion.

Safe travels.

I must say I had that same thought.

If it means much to you take your own.

I know Gideon’s view it as an emergency item when they place them in hotels.

I like almost nothing about organized religion, but I like the practice of placing a Bible in my room. God only knows how many people have ended their lives while away from loved ones and their support system. For those who would be comforted by Scripture, it is indeed an emergency item.

Cruise ships are a different kettle of fish, but it causes me no harm to have a Bible or Quran or other holy text on hand for those who need it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The question is whether they put bibles for all the faiths that may be sailing on Celebrity or just christian bibles. If I demanded that the christian bible be removed and that it be replaced w a Jewish or Muslim or some other faith, do you think that they would do it. I doubt it. This means that Celebrity has now become a christian oriented cruise line.

Think about it. I find that very bothersome.

DON

Agree.

We really don't follow any religion, but understand others do. When we need the drawer space, we simply put the bible in the carry-on bag they also provide in the drawer and put them both under the bed. We get the extra drawer space and don't have to be annoyed by looking at the cover of the Gideon bible every time we open the drawer. Then before we disembark, we put it back. Problem solved.

I just wanted to clarify that i agree with most of the responses. I was very surprised to see the bible in the cabin. So was my travel partner, she is Catholic and agreed that they should not be putting bibles in the room. I do wonder if it was really Celebrity or someone else left them. In that case I feel the cabin stewards should be told to remove them and put them in the library.

In that case I feel the cabin stewards should be told to remove them and put them in the library.

I'm sure there would be some passengers who would be irate to find them in the Fiction section. :D

I don't mind them being in the room but it seems like it should be an "on request" item versus the default. Religion is such a personal thing that it seems odd to have one version always present whether you want it or not.

It was a common practice at any hotel room anywhere in North America during the 80's and 90's, not sure further back as I didn't travel then. I have no issues with what they stick in the drawer. if you don't like it don't read it. Same goes for all the crap hotels stick in those binder/folders for marketing and selling etc.

And to be honest, back then most everyone I knew and met was either Catholic or Baptist or United etc which all use the same bible. So it made sense to place one bible that appealed and was used by he majority. Nowadays, it is much more common to have many different people practicing different religions

It's not hurting anyone...and don't worry..I am sure in another 10 years people will be complaining how everywhere they go there is a Quran in the room.

That being said, I don't think I have ever read one during all my travels either so...

I am just wondering does Celebrity put bibles in the cabins? I have sailed Celebrity multiple times and do not remember ever seeing this nor do I remember seeing this on RCL ships.

Yes they do..it's usually in one of the night stands.

It was a common practice at any hotel room anywhere in North America during the 80's and 90's, not sure further back as I didn't travel then.

Don't they still put them in hotel rooms?

There was one in our room at a Doubletree hotel just a few weeks ago. We didn't check to see which bible version it was.

I have no issues with what they stick in the drawer. if you don't like it don't read it. Same goes for all the crap hotels stick in those binder/folders for marketing and selling etc.
Same goes for the art auction books and other sales promo materials they put in our cabins on cruise ships as well.

Our last cabin had 3 copies of the spa brochure.

That being said, I don't think I have ever read one during all my travels either so...
But nevertheless they can be useful for other purposes, such as inserting above a door hinge to prop a hotel or stateroom door open. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

(For any religious person who may be reading this, there is no need for alarm as it does not damage the bible.)

Don't they still put them in hotel rooms?

There was one in our room at a Doubletree hotel just a few weeks ago. We didn't check to see which bible version it was.

Marriott properties usually have both a Bible (what Christians call the Old and New Testaments) and a Book of Mormon. If the Bible is missing the Book of Mormon is required by the company. Doubletree is now a Marriott property. Other chains will usually have the same Christian Bible because it is what most religious people in this country have as their holy book - 83 percent of Americans identify as Christian in that recent ABC survey.

Gideons International distributes most of the books to hotel rooms, and in it's 100+ year history it has distributed over 2 billion of them to hotels and any other place that will accept them.