Leftover Foreign Currency

Going on SOS to the Baltics. We are planning on getting euros, rubles, and Kronas to use in the markets for local craftsman. I really do not want to bring it back home.

However if I do not use all of the currency, can I

1. Put anything that is leftover on my bill (tips, drinks etc)? If so does RCCL charge a transaction fee?

2. We always give additional tips, would the RCCL employees be ok with currency from Sweden, Europe and Russia or do they look forward to US Dollars.

Thank you

ML

I can only answer the second question

2. We always give additional tips, would the RCCL employees be ok with currency from Sweden, Europe and Russia or do they look forward to US Dollars.

Thank you

ML

IF this is the normal cruise itinerary for the ship the crew will not mind the various currencies as these would be the port of calls they get to go into during their precious time off and it would save them from having to convert US $ themselves or use a credit card for any purchases or services they may need. BUT most crew do still expect the bulk of any extended cash gratuity to be the currency that the Sea Pass card is requested to be funded by.

I can only answer the second question

IF this is the normal cruise itinerary for the ship the crew will not mind the various currencies as these would be the port of calls they get to go into during their precious time off and it would save them from having to convert US $ themselves or use a credit card for any purchases or services they may need.

True for all ports except Russia. I suspect very few, if any crew members leave the ship there due to visa requirements. Or does Russia allow crew members without a visa? Personally, I wouldn’t bother getting rubles unless you are touring on your own. There were not many opportunities to engage local vendors on our tour and all the vendors took dollars at the shopping opportunity we were taken to.

I always save it for the next trip.

That´s what I do.

The ship will most likely offer currency exchange onboard (not sure if they will exchange rubels). So they would first do the curreny exchange and then you could use this money to pay towards your onboard account.

Be reminded you can only use bills to get exchanges. Coins will never be exchanged anywhere!!!

The crew will always tell you they appreciate what you give them, but you need to keep in mind, they don´t spend all their money in ports and they don´t get off that much either. They mostly need USD, as that´s onboard currency, that´s the currency they are paid in and that´s the currency they send home. So giving them other currencies will have them going through currecny exchange and again they can´t do that with coins !!!

We are planning on getting euros, rubles, and Kronas to use in the markets for local craftsman.

Actually I would only get Euro. You can pay with Euro or USD in Russia or use your credit card or - if on a private tour - your guide will be happy to give you Rubles. I´ve been on a ships tour (Celebrity, but my DD is doing the same tour with RCI in August) and the shop they brought us did accept Euro, USD and British Pounds as well as major credit cards. You won´t be able to walk on your own anyway. I also did the Metro / Market tour and it was no problem to pay with credit card in the market.

As for Sweden - this is the country which thinks about getting rid of real money soon. You can pay even small amounts (a coffee) with your credit card. No problem! At Stockholm port the booth selling tickets for the HoHo boats didn´t even accept cash money but wanted cards only.

So don´t mess around with too many different currencies!

steamboats

Another option is something I've seen in a couple of European airports- a collection box for an international charity where you can drop any type of currency into. The boxes were clear and there appeared to be a good mix of different currencies. But I agree that the staff would probably appreciate the gift (and I agree with the comment regarding rubles, although I have no experience traveling in Russia).

I always save for the next trip or, I sell to a friend who is about to visit.

However, according to the roll calls of people who are currently sailing this route, there isn't much need for rubles. Euro's are accepted in St. Petersburg.

Going on SOS to the Baltics. We are planning on getting euros, rubles, and Kronas to use in the markets for local craftsman. I really do not want to bring it back home.

Thank you

ML

We were just there. Don't bother with rubles. Any vendor you'll meet has a conversion chart for Euros and American $$. I actually used my credit card in Russia since we didn't buy any Rubles.

There are actually two different Kronas Sweedish and Danish. Something I found out in Stockholm. They all have conversion charts as well. Plus everyone takes a credit card.

Buy Euros, you'll get more mileage and the crew would prefer them over Kronas or Rubles. Get a PIN number for your credit cards, you may need them. I used my credit card all the time, and they always asked me to sign. I even used it in a ticket machine in AMS and wasn't asked for anything.

Enjoy

True for all ports except Russia. I suspect very few, if any crew members leave the ship there due to visa requirements. Or does Russia allow crew members without a visa? Personally, I wouldn’t bother getting rubles unless you are touring on your own. There were not many opportunities to engage local vendors on our tour and all the vendors took dollars at the shopping opportunity we were taken to.

Even in the flea market outside of the Church on Spilled Blood the locals took US cash. But they do need to be clean and untorn. The "official" store we went to took about five currencies or credit cards.

I have multiple change purses that I keep for future cruises with various currencies. It’s fun to dig them out to see what I’ve put away when I book another cruise. Occasionally I’m pleasantly surprised.

There are airlines such as Virgin who have little envelopes where you can donate change of any currency too.

However if I do not use all of the currency, can I

1. Put anything that is leftover on my bill (tips, drinks etc)? If so does RCCL charge a transaction fee?

Thank you

ML

The last time I was in this situation I gave all my leftover currency to my Cabin Steward knowing that he would be on the next cruise to the ports and could redeem them.

The problem with saving them is that currency changes. I found this out the hard way in England last summer. The 5 pound notes I got at my US bank were the "old" ones and no one took them in the UK. (The new notes are a higher tech version of the regular 5 pound note). I was informed to go to a bank and hope they would still exchange them for me. Of course, I found this out on a Friday afternoon and I was up the creek.

Thankfully, the ship exchanged them for me on Monday but I wouldn't advise holding onto the foreign currency for too long.

That´s what I do.

The ship will most likely offer currency exchange onboard (not sure if they will exchange rubels). So they would first do the curreny exchange and then you could use this money to pay towards your onboard account.

Be reminded you can only use bills to get exchanges. Coins will never be exchanged anywhere!!!

The crew will always tell you they appreciate what you give them, but you need to keep in mind, they don´t spend all their money in ports and they don´t get off that much either. They mostly need USD, as that´s onboard currency, that´s the currency they are paid in and that´s the currency they send home. So giving them other currencies will have them going through currecny exchange and again they can´t do that with coins !!!

I turned in two euros at currency exchange in Barcelona airport. Was cashing in Singapore, Thailand, and India bills for Euros. They were going to give me 48 Euro, so I asked if I could give them two Euro in coins for 50. No problem

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They were going to give me 48 Euro, so I asked if I could give them two Euro in coins for 50. No problem

To be fair, that's not an exchange - I have a feeling they would not have taken any rupee or baht coins.

To be fair, that's not an exchange - I have a feeling they would not have taken any rupee or baht coins.

Well those aren't worth anything.

Managed to spend the rest of the copper and gold ones in the gift shop for corn nuts. :D

Did you feel like a little kid handing over all your change for your Corn Nuts? :D
I was just bored, and I really didn't need the snack. We had Business Class flight home.

I once bought a pizza with quarters when I was in my 30's.

That's how you save enough money to one day become Pinnacle.

I turned in two euros at currency exchange in Barcelona airport. Was cashing in Singapore, Thailand, and India bills for Euros. They were going to give me 48 Euro, so I asked if I could give them two Euro in coins for 50. No problem

Well I guess I have to be more precise on my comment. Currency exchanges will never deal with foreign currency coins. Of course every currency axchange will deal with coins, as the exchange rates will never result in a sum being paid just in bills.

However when you buy a foreign currency, the amount will always be calculated in the way that the foreign currency is paid in just bills and you pay whatever the cost is in local currency bills and coins when using cash for it. Same for the other way round they will only acceot foreign bills and pay you in local currency, paying you with local currency bills and coins.

With this it still stands you can´t exchange foreign currency coins.

In your example the Euro might have been a foreign currency for you, but it is the local currency of the currency exchange in Barcelona. Giving them 2 Euro to get a a 50 Euro bill is just a local money transaction and not a currency exchange. It´s kinda the same as when having to pay € 10.12 and handing them €20.12 to get a €10 bill as change instead of a load of coins to recieve the € 9.88.

Actually I would only get Euro. You can pay with Euro or USD in Russia or use your credit card or - if on a private tour - your guide will be happy to give you Rubles. I´ve been on a ships tour (Celebrity, but my DD is doing the same tour with RCI in August) and the shop they brought us did accept Euro, USD and British Pounds as well as major credit cards. You won´t be able to walk on your own anyway. I also did the Metro / Market tour and it was no problem to pay with credit card in the market.

As for Sweden - this is the country which thinks about getting rid of real money soon. You can pay even small amounts (a coffee) with your credit card. No problem! At Stockholm port the booth selling tickets for the HoHo boats didn´t even accept cash money but wanted cards only.

So don´t mess around with too many different currencies!

steamboats

Agree with the above. We just finished a Baltic the 10th of May and used only Euros or cc. Never had a problem using a cc, even at some of the small booths in the markets as most vendors had the card swiper for their phone.