Who pulls the kids out of school to cruise?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:49 PM.
#41
Florida
4,477 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Jasalth

I do find it very sad that parents who want their kids to experience the world and other cultures just really can't do this anymore.
A land trip could qualify as 'experience the world' if it focused on a specific area and had your kid interact with the local children. With whom does your child interact on a cruise ship?
#42
20 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
As long as you donít go on vacation WITHOUT your kids. Youíre fine. I hate when parents leave their youngsters at home and go vacation. One or two night getaway is fine but not a whole week or more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#43
Wales GB
809 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by royalsfan110
As long as you donít go on vacation WITHOUT your kids. Youíre fine. I hate when parents leave their youngsters at home and go vacation. One or two night getaway is fine but not a whole week or more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Think times are changing. Just like when Mothers stayed at home, next generation went to work, now child-free hols.

We never went away and left our children until the youngest was 17. He stayed with grandfather for a week...! Older child..his Sister (19) was away at University.

Nowadays many parents deem it a 'right' to have a child-free holiday at least once a year!

Just the way of the world....good thing or bad remains to be seen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Reina del Mar (Union Castle Line) -
1969,1970,1971,1972
Canberra (P&O)- 1973, 1974,1975,1976,1977, 1979,1980,1980,1981,1981, 1983, 1993
Vistafjord (Norwegian Caribbean)-1979

Golden Princess (Princess Cruises) Alaska- 2008
Ruby Princess Caribbean -2010
Island Princess Panama Canal-2012
Serenade of Seas (Royal Caribbean) Middle East -2013
Navigator of Seas ex Galveston, Houston Caribbean -2014
Emerald Princess ex Bayport,Houston Caribbean-2015
Liberty of Seas ex Galveston, Houston Caribbean- 2016, 2016

Royal Princess Caribbean- 2017
Emerald Princess- South America (Round the Horn)- 2018


Coming Up
Majestic Princess- Australia/ Asia- 2019
#44
Cincinnati
3,717 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Bizmark'sMom
Nope. You're not alone. There were lots of kids on my recent cruise around South America. One of the parents told me the kids were learning more by seeing the world than they would in the classroom.


Iíve heard this argument and donít see it. Do kids learn more by seeing the world than a week of learning in a classroom? Absolutely. But those learning experiences are also available during school breaks; so itís not an either/or choice. Full disclosure, I donít have kids. But my parents never took me out of school for travel and I agree with that decision. At least in the US, schools offer plenty of weeks off to spend with your family and to pursue developmental opportunities. The structure of school; showing up every day, whether or not you want to go, during designated hours, and having to concentrate on certain tasks during those hours - mimics the world of the working adult. For these reasons, if I had kids, I wouldnít home school. School introduces children to the structured world they will be living in. And deciding that playing hooky for a week to have fun is rarely necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#45
Australia
736 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Floridiana
A land trip could qualify as 'experience the world' if it focused on a specific area and had your kid interact with the local children. With whom does your child interact on a cruise ship?
I think it depends a bit on where the cruise ship goes and how much interaction with other cultures the family has on board.

If every port visit is spent having fun on a beach or visiting the same ports over and over again, perhaps there is not much 'experience the world'.

However, as an example, we chose to cruise the Mediterranean for its very efficient way to get to multiple historical and cultural sites in a very efficient way - travel overnight in comfort- bringing the hotel room with you - wake up each morning in a different country and spend the day exploring ancient monuments, cities and villages - it sure was educational - and exhausting!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruise(s):

Cruises:

Anthem of the Seas - September 2017 Canada and New England
Voyager of the Seas - February 2017 Fiji and South Pacific
Navigator of the Seas - 2016 August Mediterranean
Jewel of the Seas - 2015 August Alaska
Voyager of the Seas - 2015 January New Zealand
Voyager of the Seas - 2014 January New Zealand
Brilliance of the Seas - 2013 July Scandinavia and Russia
Oasis of the Seas - 2012 Western Caribbean
Rhapsody of the Seas - 2011 Sydney to Hawaii
Brilliance of the Seas - 2008 Mediterranean
#46
Westerville, OH USA
2,200 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by lucymorgan

If every port visit is spent having fun on a beach or visiting the same ports over and over again, perhaps there is not much 'experience the world'.
I agree with this sentiment. I'm a former teacher, a parent and now grandparent. The majority of vacations during the school year are because of the desire to travel with fewer crowds and cheaper fares which is not a bad idea. I have read that some people actually think that they are giving their kids a cultural experience by meeting other passengers and the crew. Maybe that is giving the kids a wrong message.

One thing to consider is that vacationing during the school year gives kids the subtle message that school really isn't that important. As a teacher, I could never provide the same experiences for children to take on vacation. It was a folly to even attempt to do so. I just told the parents to work on rote learning, like math facts, keep a journal, and I would save the work the child missed.

A land-based trip to visit real history is one thing and quite valuable. A cruise to the Caribbean in January? Not so much.
I would appreciate a parent's total honesty than to try to convince me that the trip was a good idea. If you want to go on a cruise in January, fine, go and enjoy your family time, but don't ask for my approval. My opinion doesn't matter, but I didn't want to be used to diminish their guilty conscience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna and Mark
OH

NCL Sky July, 2005
NCL Sun July 1, 2006
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2008
NCL Pearl to Alaska 2009
NCL Sky 2010
RCCL Mariner of the Seas TA Fall 2012
HAL Westerdam Alaska 2013
NCL Star TA 2014
NCL Jewel Panama Canal 19 Nights April, 2015
Carnival Eastern Caribbean Nov, 2015
NCL Getaway Jan, 2016
RCL Vision of the Seas TA April 2016
RCL Majesty of the Seas Jan 2017
NCL Jewel Mexican Riviera March 2017
RCL Explorer of the Seas 22 Nights Transpacific Oct 2107
#47
1,098 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
OP - my husband and I feel we are the only ones who don't pull our kids from school for vacations. It's a decision we have made for our family, but we know many others (including teachers) who have no issue with their kids missing school, usually it is only 1-2 days and bookended around school breaks

Originally posted by royalsfan110
As long as you donít go on vacation WITHOUT your kids. Youíre fine. I hate when parents leave their youngsters at home and go vacation. One or two night getaway is fine but not a whole week or more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Royalsfan - I guess we will have to agree to disagree. We are getting ready to leave on a week long vacation and the 13 and 17 yo are staying home with the grandparents, mostly being busy with school and practices, but also building memories with their grandparents. Our family takes vacations together, our kids have gone to overnight camps without us, and my husband and I take vacations without our kids. They were shorter when the kids were younger, but every family is different and has to make the best decisions they can for their situation.
#48
North Carolina
185 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by Markanddonna
I agree with this sentiment. I'm a former teacher, a parent and now grandparent. The majority of vacations during the school year are because of the desire to travel with fewer crowds and cheaper fares which is not a bad idea. I have read that some people actually think that they are giving their kids a cultural experience by meeting other passengers and the crew. Maybe that is giving the kids a wrong message.



One thing to consider is that vacationing during the school year gives kids the subtle message that school really isn't that important. As a teacher, I could never provide the same experiences for children to take on vacation. It was a folly to even attempt to do so. I just told the parents to work on rote learning, like math facts, keep a journal, and I would save the work the child missed.



A land-based trip to visit real history is one thing and quite valuable. A cruise to the Caribbean in January? Not so much.

I would appreciate a parent's total honesty than to try to convince me that the trip was a good idea. If you want to go on a cruise in January, fine, go and enjoy your family time, but don't ask for my approval. My opinion doesn't matter, but I didn't want to be used to diminish their guilty conscience.


Playing hooky to me is skipping school and being sneaky about it, not doing your work, etc.Ö Just for the record and not that I owe anyone any explanations at all because I have no guilty conscience whatsoever about our parenting or the morals we are teaching our childrenÖ Simply had the question of how many people actually do pull their kids out for a trip.....was second guessing because we typically may do a day or 2 once a year but not 5. Anyway, for the record our children know this is a big deal therefore planning in advance and possibly doing extra work and being willing to do so is something they have agreed to. Think about this, back in your day and everyone else that is casting judgment on those of us who are willing to do something like this, remember technology was nonexistent. Times have changed, unfortunately many people and their close minded ways have not.

Our kids will both be able to do classwork and submit assignments online throughout the week, thereís a little bit of give-and-take to make this happen.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#49
North Carolina
185 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by sanger727
Iíve heard this argument and donít see it. Do kids learn more by seeing the world than a week of learning in a classroom? Absolutely. But those learning experiences are also available during school breaks; so itís not an either/or choice. Full disclosure, I donít have kids. But my parents never took me out of school for travel and I agree with that decision. At least in the US, schools offer plenty of weeks off to spend with your family and to pursue developmental opportunities. The structure of school; showing up every day, whether or not you want to go, during designated hours, and having to concentrate on certain tasks during those hours - mimics the world of the working adult. For these reasons, if I had kids, I wouldnít home school. School introduces children to the structured world they will be living in. And deciding that playing hooky for a week to have fun is rarely necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums


See comment above..... big difference in Playing hooky and what we are doing.....


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#50
Pa, NJ
19,245 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
When kids were growing up we lived in NJ and always took the kids to Disney or other places in the beginning of November. All public schools in NJ are closed by Law in NJ either first or second week depending on the calendar on the Thursday and Friday of that week. Often , this falls during the week of Veterans Day and Election Day when most schools are also closed. Our school system actually closed the school for the week since it seemed counterproductive to go only the Wednesday of that week. It was funny in Disney because you would always run into someone you knew.

I am reminded of a post a few years ago on one of the boards where a woman found a way around the school giving her a hard time for taking the kids out of school. She unenrolled the kids from the school system, got transcripts and everything needed. When she got back from vacation just reenrolled the kids in the school. Don't think you could get away with this more than once but who knows.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
#51
6,045 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by royalsfan110
As long as you donít go on vacation WITHOUT your kids. Youíre fine. I hate when parents leave their youngsters at home and go vacation. One or two night getaway is fine but not a whole week or more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Why? My mom was a SAHM, my sister and I were left with friends or family while they took adult vacations, it was fun for us! Weíve left all five once for a 6 night anniversary cruise, and have left babies and toddlers with the grandparents while traveling with the older kids. My kids LOVED staying with the grandparents (who lived a half mile away).

What is the current obsession with never having experiences without the kids? Iíve been a SAHM for 21 years now, I donít need to be attached to them 24/7. Heck, when they were little, we had our share of paid babysitters, plus grandma, and #4 and 5 went to daycare 2 mornings a week starting at age 1. No regrets!
#52
6,045 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by dkjretired
When kids were growing up we lived in NJ and always took the kids to Disney or other places in the beginning of November. All public schools in NJ are closed by Law in NJ either first or second week depending on the calendar on the Thursday and Friday of that week. Often , this falls during the week of Veterans Day and Election Day when most schools are also closed. Our school system actually closed the school for the week since it seemed counterproductive to go only the Wednesday of that week. It was funny in Disney because you would always run into someone you knew.

I am reminded of a post a few years ago on one of the boards where a woman found a way around the school giving her a hard time for taking the kids out of school. She unenrolled the kids from the school system, got transcripts and everything needed. When she got back from vacation just reenrolled the kids in the school. Don't think you could get away with this more than once but who knows.
Actually, all public schools are closed for 2 days for teachers convention either the first or second week of November.
#53
South Texas, U.S.
192 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
My kids are grown now, but we pulled them out of school when they were younger to go on a cruise. it was the only time that worked out for us and hubby was getting ready to move away for his job and it would be a year before the kids and I would be able to permanently move to where he was. OR to TX.

The cruise was the end of April/1st of May and they were in 3rd and 6th grades at the time. It was great. Their teachers all said to have a great time and they would catch them up on their schoolwork when they got back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melissa



#54
South Texas, U.S.
192 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by royalsfan110
As long as you donít go on vacation WITHOUT your kids. Youíre fine. I hate when parents leave their youngsters at home and go vacation. One or two night getaway is fine but not a whole week or more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Our first cruise was without our kids. They were 3 and 6 at the time. We went with 2 other couples for a 4 night kid-free getaway. This was the first time we'd gone out of town and left our kids. Actually, we had to take them 3 hours away to stay with their grandparents, but the kids had a great time, the grandparents had a great time and we had a great time. It was good for all of us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melissa



#55
Chicago, IL
1,251 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by bob brown
I don't have any children, so I'll acknowledge that it is not really for me to judge, however....I've often wondered why with all the fall, winter, spring, and long summer breaks that schools have, why not take children on cruises during those times?

The quoted post answer's my question best....it's the "bottom line" that I believe primarily motivates this decision by parents....
We don't get super long breaks. We get a few days at Thanksgiving, the 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years, and then a week in the spring (which changes every year). However, my husband's job doesn't allow him to take those times as his vacations every year. Yes, it would be great if he could be off for the holidays like others, but that doesn't happen. He has to pick his vacation every year in November, quite often the school calendar isn't even out by then for the following year.


And quite honestly, as I said before, our teachers have never had a problem since he does his work that he misses. They know that for some people, doing these things are important. Our family went through a lot over a few years, and we wanted to have some time away and with our son. It just happened that my husband had to take his vacation NOT during a regular holiday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Past Cruises:
*Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2017 - Southampton, Le Havre, Hamburg, Oslo, & Bruges, and time in the UK/London

Trip Report - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post53711073
Post-Cruise London 6-day trip report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561970
* RCI & Carnival cruise comparison post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526532
* Carnival Magic 2016 - Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427055

* Carnival Legend 2016 - Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500
Pre-cruise trip report (Seattle) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2381435



* Carnival Valor 2015 - Bahamas, (detoured to) Dominican Republic, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico
* MSC Melody 2002 - Key West, Costa Rica, Panama Canal, San Blas Islands, Jamaica
* Carnival Fantasy 2005 - Bahamas
* Carnival Glory 2006 - Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten




#56
Cincinnati
3,717 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by 4olivers
See comment above..... big difference in Playing hooky and what we are doing.....


Sent from my iPad using Forums


Mmmmm.... not sure I agree with your sentiments. Say you take your kids out of school for a week for vacations several years, some years may be for more educational trips and some years more for fun in the sun. Iím not sure how you are able to teach kids that itís ok for you, their parents, to allow them to miss school to have fun but itís not ok for them to miss school on their own to have fun. Even if it includes the caveat that they have to keep up with their school work - I know a lot of people I went to high school with that skipped class on a regular basis because they were able to keep up with the course work so why going to class. Sorry, just my opinion that it sends mixed signals to take kids out of school for vacations. Itís also my opinion that teaching kids that itís never ok to miss school unless they are sick builds work ethic.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#57
1,098 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by mjkacmom
Why? My mom was a SAHM, my sister and I were left with friends or family while they took adult vacations, it was fun for us! Weíve left all five once for a 6 night anniversary cruise, and have left babies and toddlers with the grandparents while traveling with the older kids. My kids LOVED staying with the grandparents (who lived a half mile away).

What is the current obsession with never having experiences without the kids? Iíve been a SAHM for 21 years now, I donít need to be attached to them 24/7. Heck, when they were little, we had our share of paid babysitters, plus grandma, and #4 and 5 went to daycare 2 mornings a week starting at age 1. No regrets!
Agree

Originally posted by kctwinmommy
We don't get super long breaks. We get a few days at Thanksgiving, the 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years, and then a week in the spring (which changes every year). However, my husband's job doesn't allow him to take those times as his vacations every year. Yes, it would be great if he could be off for the holidays like others, but that doesn't happen. He has to pick his vacation every year in November, quite often the school calendar isn't even out by then for the following year.


And quite honestly, as I said before, our teachers have never had a problem since he does his work that he misses. They know that for some people, doing these things are important. Our family went through a lot over a few years, and we wanted to have some time away and with our son. It just happened that my husband had to take his vacation NOT during a regular holiday.
Our kids do not get long extended vacations apart from summer. We do try to incorporate a family vacation then, and we spend Christmas with family who live 3 and 4 hours away, so we don't have time left then for a family vacation. My children are involved in enough activities with church and school that it is very hard to find times that work for them during the school year even if school itself wasn't an issue.
#58
Pa, NJ
19,245 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by mjkacmom
Actually, all public schools are closed for 2 days for teachers convention either the first or second week of November.
Thatís what I said, state law inNJ. Itís a state convention, held every year inAtlantic City
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
#59
North Carolina
185 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by sanger727
Mmmmm.... not sure I agree with your sentiments. Say you take your kids out of school for a week for vacations several years, some years may be for more educational trips and some years more for fun in the sun. Iím not sure how you are able to teach kids that itís ok for you, their parents, to allow them to miss school to have fun but itís not ok for them to miss school on their own to have fun. Even if it includes the caveat that they have to keep up with their school work - I know a lot of people I went to high school with that skipped class on a regular basis because they were able to keep up with the course work so why going to class. Sorry, just my opinion that it sends mixed signals to take kids out of school for vacations. Itís also my opinion that teaching kids that itís never ok to miss school unless they are sick builds work ethic.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums


One year not several years.... big difference!


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#60
Sweden
2,635 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Reina del Mar
As teachers we were unable to take our children out of school to benefit from less expensive holidays .

We felt it was discrepancy against those who work in schools.
(Although sometimes teaching assistants were allowed to take holidays without pay)

Sadly, in reality, we know it is all a question of supply and demand.

In recent days, schools in GB are far more aware of meeting attendance targets, even though there are strict rules regarding returning to school after stomach upsets.(48 hrs after last bout). Not applied in all areas.

Doctors would not necessarily appreciate the extra work but I like the idea of having Doctors' notes for absence.
I'm a teacher and I prefer to cruise during the school terms.

It's a question of supply and demand. Too few teachers are educated so if I should get "no" when I ask for vacation I could just quit and get another job. So no problem for me to cruise when I want.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked:
2019 MSC Divina, Caribbean, 12-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (15004)

Completed:
2017 MSC Meraviglia, Mediterranean, 7-nights, MSC Yacht Club deluxe suite (15013)
2015 Norwegian Breakaway, Southern Caribbean, 12-nights, The Haven Penthouse (12706)
2012 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Courtyard Penthouse (17002)
2011 Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean, 7-nights, The Haven Spa Suite (14145)
2009 Norwegian Jade, Ireland, 5-nights, Penthouse (8632)
2008 Norwegian Jewel, Transatlantic, 11-nights, Balcony (10034)
2006 Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean, 11-nights, Balcony (9576)
2004 Norwegian Wind, Hawaii, 11-nights, Superior Oceanview (0010)