Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:51 PM.
Napa Valley
1,530 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
A British woman was pulled from the water in Croatia 10 hours after falling off a cruise ship into the Adriatic Sea.
The woman, who gave her name as Kay, is said to have fallen into the sea from the 965-foot liner Norwegian Star, which was around 60 miles from the shore as it headed towards Venice.
Speaking after her miraculous rescue the blonde British woman, 46, said: 'I fell off the back of the Norwegian Star, and was in the water for ten hours. Then these wonderful guys rescued me.'
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hamilton, Ontario
2,347 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Wow! Nice that she survived, but I still find it hard to believe that anyone can just fall off a cruise-ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Zaandam July 2, 2018 14 Day Alaskan Explorer
Koningsdam December 10, 2017 10 day Southern Caribbean
Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
Newport News, VA, USA
1,428 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Whoa! Falling off a cruise ship? Like a passenger is walking around and suddenly, plop, he/she is in the water? Very strange. Glad she was rescued; that story is a miracle. It could have ended very differently.
Encinitas, California
3,669 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
👍👍👍👍👍 I like a happy ending and congratulations to the Vessel who rescued her!!
Denise 😊
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Deeniencinitas
Washington State
721 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Hlitner
One wonders how she simply "fell" off the aft of the ship. Not easy to do.

Hank
One wonders how she is still alive!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
K & K

2013 Oosterdam Alaska
2014 Eurodam New England
2015 Oosterdam Caribbean
2016 Noordam Alaska
2017 Nieuw Amsterdam Panama Canal

2018 Zuiderdam Viking Passage
JAY and KATHY, Texas
154 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
I am a very weak swimmer. Is it common for someone to be able to tread water for 10 hours? Maybe she wore her life vest and jumped? I would think the swells would have led to drowning.
Belleville ON Canada
553 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Originally posted by KroozNut
Am I the only one who thinks that alcohol may have played a role in this incident?

Just sayin'
You're not alone. (However, being a Brit, it is possible that she was looking for an apartment balcony to fall off, since this appears to be a popular pastime among said group. )
1,797 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Etta1213
I am a very weak swimmer. Is it common for someone to be able to tread water for 10 hours? Maybe she wore her life vest and jumped? I would think the swells would have led to drowning.
The Adriatic is very dense and buoyant. It's extremely hard to swim under, let alone sink. All she'd need to do is lay on top and rest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Veni Vidi Velcro
I came; I saw; I stuck around
Wales UK
1,008 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
When she was talking to the media, it just didn't ring true somehow. See if you can find a clip of it. It all sounded rather false and strange.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Number of cruises - been on loads and hopefully loads more..
114,393 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Glad she survived the fall and was rescued.

She is a lucky woman no matter whether it was an accident or on purpose.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Central Florida
943 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I get really upset when the news media reports on a cruise ship passenger "falling overboard". It is virtually impossible to simply "fall overboard" on a cruise ship, as we CC members all know. The railings all over the ship come up to your mid-chest for an average height person. The bulk of your weight is below the railings, so your center of gravity also falls below the railing. Most of these "falls" are caused by one of the following actions. First, and most likely is too much alcohol or drug usage. This causes people to do the "King of the world" stunt seen in the movie Titanic. Or people sitting on a railing, trying to take a "selfie". Next is the unfortunate and sad instance of suicide, and finally, someone being physically pushed up and over the railing during a fight, which may also be based on too much alcohol.
Nobody just is walking along the back of the ship and leans the wrong way and falls overboard. Can't happen. But, as usual, the cruise industry gets a bad reputation for being unsafe, dangerous, etc. I'm not a fan of the commonly tossed around term of "Fake News", but falling overboard a cruise ship definitely falls into that category. It is wrongly reported in that way to generate hype and interest, or done by ignorant news reporters who have no actual knowledge of today's cruise ships..
jacksonville fl usa
4,705 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
She sure tries to make it sound like she was just sitting on deck and then oops! She was in the water.
I guess she’ll fool the noncruisers.
I’m sorry, but things like this do a disservice to the cruise industry.
For her family’s sake, I’m glad she was found alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Victoria Harbour, ON
3,773 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
It is hard to believe people just fall off of cruise ships, the article does say that there was drinking involved. I'm glad the story has a happy ending.
114,393 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The story has been on our news and national news on TV.

The woman says she is lucky to be alive -- no other explanation -- yet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.