Doing the math - internet and drinks for free

ddlb

I think your math is off. ;p

I'm the OP and tried to edit/delete my post. Unfortunately I didn't do it right. Hope my math is better here.

Anyhow I paid $224 gratuities for the UBP. I don't drink much. However I really wanted to get the 250 min of internet which was the other perk choice. Of course I selected the UBP because it was worth $89 x 14 + 18% and all I had to pay was the 18%. Such a deal!

After thinking it over I realized - out of pocket would be $349 because I would be spending $125 to get 250 minutes in addition to the $224 I paid for the gratuities.. So doing the math if hubby and I didn't drink up $349 of booze and pop we would come out ahead! Thus I switched my perk to the internet. Such a deal!

So has anyone done the math like me and concluded the same thing. Of course if you don't require the internet (for whatever reasons - let's not go there) and if you "like to drink" this wouldn't apply to you!

As long as between the two of you don't drink more than 19 drinks or a slightly higher number of you prefer cheap drinks than the switch is good for you. (Don't forget in your calculations, 20% is added to each individual drink too.)

I wouldn't think 10 drinks each on a 7 day cruise would be a lot of drinking. But then again the perk is a steal for me and I get expensive drinks on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't usually drink at restaurants or on vacation but I do like a port after dinner at home on occasion.

I like the UBP simply because I can experiment without paying for each experiment. Technically I paid but amortized, its less and less with each experiment.

I don't usually drink at restaurants or on vacation but I do like a port after dinner at home on occasion.

I like the UBP simply because I can experiment without paying for each experiment. Technically I paid but amortized, its less and less with each experiment.

That was why I originally signed up for it with my husband. But we decided paying for internet technically brought up out of pocket and that would allow us enough unspent cash to fiddle with trying mudslides and zombies hopefully coming out ahead!

If the price you pay for ANYTHING is more than the value you get from purchasing it, DO NOT BUY IT! Pretty simple and no math!

Not really a fair comparison in this case.

While the UBP is a great deal, for people like DW and I it doesn't make sense, we will drink almost exclusively water and juice while on board. Easy to figure the value.

However, if it is a case of this or that, which is the greater value. Not only in terms of direct cost but also in terms of use.

A 7 day cruise with 1 drink each at dinner and 1 in the evening the UBP is unlikely to pay for itself, but if you think you might like to experiment with new drinks it probably is. But does it then have more value than the other perk you have to pay for separately? That is the question.

Now, if you are going to go through 2-3 buckets of beer every sea day and 3 or 4 drinks each evening (and I see nothing wrong with that, it is my choice not to drink, I think others are free to enjoy themselves as long as they are fun drunks) then the UBP is probably more valuable than most other perks.

I'm the OP and tried to edit/delete my post. Unfortunately I didn't do it right. Hope my math is better here.

Anyhow I paid $224 gratuities for the UBP. I don't drink much. However I really wanted to get the 250 min of internet which was the other perk choice. Of course I selected the UBP because it was worth $89 x 14 + 18% and all I had to pay was the 18%. Such a deal!

After thinking it over I realized - out of pocket would be $349 because I would be spending $125 to get 250 minutes in addition to the $224 I paid for the gratuities.. So doing the math if hubby and I didn't drink up $349 of booze and pop we would come out ahead! Thus I switched my perk to the internet. Such a deal!

So has anyone done the math like me and concluded the same thing. Of course if you don't require the internet (for whatever reasons - let's not go there) and if you "like to drink" this wouldn't apply to you!

works out as long as you drink less than 2 beverages a day, you'll be fine.

works out as long as you drink less than 2 beverages a day, you'll be fine.

But if my math is correct $349/14 = about $25 per day ea right? So if we were to drink wine/pop/beer we would get more than 1 1/2 drinks a day - unless we each wanted 2 chocolate martinis or something. But you make a good point as it wouldn't go as far as I was thinking. Fortunately I have $355 obc that I wasn't sure what to do with except piddling it away playing slots among other things. So will will use that money first on the drinks and might just come out really ahead!

For DH and myself, we've decided not to get the UBP in the future. He's on a new medication that prohibits him from alcohol (although he had 2 drinks on our last 7 day cruise). I certainly don't drink enough to make the UBP worthwhile.

So, we're each getting 250 minutes of internet (plus we also get 60 free minutes for being Platinum+). That's a total of 620 minutes of internet to spread out on our 12 day cruise.

DH and I normally don’t drink more than 5-6 drinks total between the two of us on a 7 day cruise. Knowing this when I booked our NCL Escape cruise last year I chose the internet and SDP Package. After much consideration and calculating that we would only be paying the cost of 2 drinks a day for each of us and knowing I don’t ever use that much internet, we switched the internet to the UBP. We were glad we did.

We used this as a chance to try all the drinks we never tried before and ended up drinking 4-5 drinks each day and had a blast. It was our favorite cruise to date. When we got off I used the FCC we purchased onboard and booked the Getaway for our 30th anniversary this year with the same package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, we're each getting 250 minutes of internet (plus we also get 60 free minutes for being Platinum+). That's a total of 620 minutes of internet to spread out on our 12 day cruise.

Unless you and hubby are sailing in separate cabins, your numbers are off. You get 250 minutes for the cabin, not per person.