Packing for a cold weather cruise -21 days

blmjcs

I am hoping to get a few tips on packing for a COLD weather cruise. We will be gone 21 days in total. The cruise is the Viking Mediterranean Odyssey late November. We plan on spending a few extra days in Venice prior to the cruise and additional week in Barcelona after the cruise. Any tips on packing "winter" clothing for a long period of time would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

layers

when we do cold weather cruises I take a fleece jacket or light weight quilted jacket & rain jacket that you can put over the other jacket to break the wind if needed + protect from rain

I prefer one with a hood as umbrellas tend to be useless in windy conditions

Gloves/hat. closed toed shoes

a couple of long sleeved tops for cooler days outdoors

Inside the ship I just pack the same as for any cruise

enjoy

May want to check the temperatures in the Meddy, for November, as most do not describe it as winter weather. From memory the daily highs are just less than 20C (55-65F) and lows just below about 10C (mid 40'sF). We used to fly down to Barcelona from UK to escape winter.

You may experience some wind, so as others have suggested layers and a good wind-proof jacket.

The only Med port that I have found chilly in November is Venice. Check the historical weather data & decide if the temps meet your definition of winter weather.

For colder climates, I pack layers & my light-weight down jacket.

It appears you live in the American south, so you may well consider the weather as winter. We'd consider them fall, but there ya go. Temps will likely be in the 50s in Venice in daytime. Barcelona probably in the 60s. So leave the shorts at home. Like the others, I pack layers. Of more concern in Venice is rain. Pack a waterproof jacket to wear on top of those layers.

I am hoping to get a few tips on packing for a COLD weather cruise. We will be gone 21 days in total. The cruise is the Viking Mediterranean Odyssey late November. We plan on spending a few extra days in Venice prior to the cruise and additional week in Barcelona after the cruise. Any tips on packing "winter" clothing for a long period of time would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi

As others have suggested, you will not encounter what we would consider "winter" weather. No snow.

It will be cool. Hat (something that will keep your ears warm), gloves, sweaters, a good quality jacket, maybe even some waterproof hiking boots, would be all that you would need that you wouldn't typically be wearing at home.

It will be cooler in the early morning and evening, but you can easily have warm days. So, if you are going to be out and about, walking around, seeing the sites, you will have to get a daily weather report and dress accordingly, with some kind of backpack to store cold weather gear that is too warm as the day heats up.

have a wonderful cruise

Waterproof shoes or boots are a must. Find some that are comfortable enough for a day of walking and sightseeing.

Also either an umbrella big enough to cover a backpack in pouring rain or a raincoat large enough to cover pack or purse when carried on the front.

As others have said, layers!

You may hit alta aqua in Venice ... the period of high water.

So be prepared with rain gear and footwear for water. You can always check on the weather before you leave to find out what is happening. Some years it is earlier than others and might be over by the time you go.

Otherwise, as suggested, layer. Depending how cold I expect it to be, I bring a sweatshirt or fleece jacket to go under a gortex jacket.

Oh.. and don't forget a scarf. I don't think I saw that on anyone's list. I always need a scarf to protect my neck if it is cold and windy

After spending a totally cold and rainy day at Auschwitz on a tour, I recommend a longer raincoat. That can be used for chilly days as one of those layers. So glad I had one. I'm always surprised how people dress so inappropriately. Always pack an extra pair of dry socks in your backpack on tour travel days.

There is no such thing as a bad weather day in travel, just poor choices in planning the clothing to wear.

Thanks everyone for all of the great tips! Any recommendations for how many tops, slacks, shoes, to take for such a long trip? I plan on layering as suggested and will try to make different outfits by accessorizing differently. We did France and Italy (land trip -no cruise) a few years ago for a little longer time frame and the layering worked out great! Hot Chillys for a thermal base layer, blouse, vest, blazer, scarf , hat, gloves and water resistant coat. I would wear a different combination each day depending on the weather. Keep the tips coming I sure do appreciate the different ideas!

Essiesmom is right. No need to overpack. Firstly, no one but you will notice or care how many times you wear the same outfit. Secondly, if the weather is cool and you aren't over dressed, you won't be sweating, so you won't have to launder as much, other than socks, undies, and inner layers like long underwear.

I see people mentioning long rain coats. I suggest that a amuch better option, and one that takes up a lot less space when traveling is a rain suit. Pants and a jacket and you are good to go.

To most of us in the American south the weather in that area is just like at home, however since the OP is from south Florida, layers will be needed.