Anyone Have Luck Challenging a Charge with the Bank!

Want2Cruise 701

Been on the phone with X for 1.5 hours this morning and no luck. I am so aggravated with Celebrity and their dropping prices after final payment. The price has gone down considerably, and I can't upgrade. What's with the "it has to be a new booking" lately. First it was the drop for the World is Open, then it was an Exciting Deal and now it's the Season of Savings. I'm even going by the Perk rate which is still less.

I've never had this problem before. Last cruise I went from a 1A to an S2 on Eclipse. Cruise before that I went from a 2C to a C1 on Summit and so on all after final payment.

The final payment charge which wasn't much is due to be paid this week on my card and I'm going to dispute it. I've never been like this before. I don't mind that the price has dropped but not to be able to upgrade. That's crazy.

Yes, I know. Never book with Celebrity after final payment anymore. Celebrity never used to be like this though. They've been inflating their prices in the beginning cushioning it with the perks, and they're not selling so they are making up for it after final payment. Before they introduced the perks, I never had a price drop on me. We don't have the luxury of booking last minute. We can only cruise Spring Break, Christmas/NY or a month in the Summer. I want to know where we are going plus DH needs to plan the time off from work and arrange his workload in preparation.

Celebrity wants to change their demographic to our age and even younger, but it's not going to work. All of our friends who cruise frequently all sail RC, Disney and some NCL. They want all the activities and the hype of slides, rock climbing, flowriders, ziplines etc. We are the only ones in our age bracket that don't care about that stuff, and our son says he prefers Celebrity too. They won't sail Celebrity now. They say they'll try Celebrity when their kids are out of the house and carry their Diamond Plus status over.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just fed up with the tactics lately.

I don't see where you have any reason your credit card company would go along with this. Just because you were able to do something in the past doesn't mean you can always do it. Celebrity changes its T&C for its pricing all the time. If you are this frustrated try another line. Maybe their policies will work better for you.

If you haven't made final payment why don't you cancel and rebook at the new price. My opinion is this isn't a credit card issue but a contractual issue over your booking.

Sorry you’re frustrated but I highly doubt your bank is going to honor a dispute just because you’re unhappy with the new price of a product you paid for. That is not what a dispute is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get it. It's after final payment. I'm just annoyed that I can't even upgrade. I'm not asking for anything back. I'm pricing to the highest prevailing rate and I still can't move. They've never been like this before. I've gone from a 1A to an S2 in the past and so on.

I can feel you pain. I had a similar thing happen with Azamara. Price dropped by over half after final payment and they wouldn't let me upgrade. I think they're tightening up all their rules.

You could always try calling captains club and speaking with them.

I had the same thing happen with my Christmas cruise. My TA got 5 of our cabins upgraded- for free- from a veranda to a C2. We still had 3 inside cabins with teenagers. I called Celebrity and asked what if...and they explained that in order to move the insides- we could pay to upgrade. So we did. We were able to pay the extra amount- and had to be with perks- and they moved them to c2 also. He said you can upgrade but you have to pay the difference. I am not sure if this helps you or not- but this just happened last week. So, if there is an upgrade available- even for a few $$ more- it should be doable. I think we only got the bump for free because we booked so many cabins perhaps. Good luck! I have now stopped looking at the prices since the last upgrade because I don't want to be annoyed.

I get it. It's after final payment. I'm just annoyed that I can't even upgrade. I'm not asking for anything back. I'm pricing to the highest prevailing rate and I still can't move. They've never been like this before. I've gone from a 1A to an S2 in the past and so on.

And how does any of this justify a charge back?

Good to know... now that Celebrity is going with non refundable deposit program ... like RCCL.... combined with your experience. Does not make sense to book early, if you have the flexibility to travel at the last minute or within a few months.

From Celebrity web page

Celebrity Cruises Best Price Guarantee

Our Celebrity Best Price Guarantee ensures that you will enjoy the lowest advertised rate on your cruise fare and your preferred promotional offer. If a lower cruise fare or different promotional offer advertised to the general public is found and your booking meets certain requirements, you may request to have that savings or promotion applied to your booking (savings options vary by whether the request is submitted before or after the final payment due date).

To apply for your onboard credit call: 1-888-751-7804

For a request submitted on or before the due date of final payment, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare:

Celebrity will reduce cruise fare to available prevailing cruise fare. If full payment has been made, a refund will be issued.

Request to Add or Change an Added Value Offer

Celebrity will 1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and 2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

NOTE: If either the new cruise fare or Added Value Offer is not combinable with any promotion associated with the existing booking, or changes are being made outside of promotional booking window, the existing promotion will be removed from the booking. No refund or exchange will be given on a promotion offer (added value)

NOTE: an Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

For a request submitted after the due date of final payment AND the booking is within 48 hours from creation, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare

Celebrity will apply an onboard credit to the booking in the amount of 110% of the difference in price.

Celebrity will 1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and 2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

NOTE: If either the new cruise fare or Added Value Offer is not combinable with any promotion associated with the existing booking, or changes are being made outside of promotional booking window, the existing promotion will be removed from the booking. No refund or exchange will be given on a promotion offer (added value)

NOTE: An Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

Celebrity's Best Price Guarantee FAQ

Terms and Conditions

The Celebrity Best Price Guarantee (the "Guarantee") is available on a Celebrity cruise or cruise tour booked on or after May 1, 2014. If your booking meets either of the above requirements, you may request to have a lower cruise fare or a promotional offer advertised to the general public applied to your booking. The lower cruise fare and/or promotional offer must apply to the same cruise (defined as same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests). If within 48 hours from creation of booking or if on or before the due date of final payment, regardless of creation date of booking, you can submit a request to apply the lower cruise fare or promotional offer to your booking as described above.

The onboard credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit as of 10 PM on the last night of the cruise will be forfeited. Both the lower cruise fare and Value Added offer must be advertised by Celebrity Cruises and bookable in the United States and Canada.

You will be asked to provide the lower cruise fare and/or the Added Value offer (the "Requested Savings") as found on the Celebrity Cruises website. The Requested Savings must be available for booking or redemption at the time that Celebrity reviews the Claim Form submitted (usually within 48 hours from receipt of submission). Claim Forms must be submitted in accordance with these instructions within 48 hours of booking your cruise. Celebrity will verify the extent to which the booking is eligible for the Requested Savings.

Honestly, I would call back and speak to somebody else at Celebrity or your TA rather than address it through the bank. I have had luck with this before ... as long as I was willing to spend one dollar extra for my upgraded room. Not every PCP is created equal and some will try a little harder to get you what you are asking for. This is also when a good travel agent comes into play. I wanted to upgrade once and my TA said they wouldn't go for it. Then, he asked me, do you want me to try again and see if I get someone more helpful on the phone? Well, that was the key. The next one was more than willing to allow me to pay a few dollars more for a much better room ... and this was on a cruise for 'new bookings' only. If it comes down to it, just ask them how much it would cost to cancel and rebook ... I've also had that work for me before as well. Good luck and I hope you are successful. If not, I feel your frustration but hope you can enjoy your cruise regardless of what cabin you end up getting.

PS ... I just had a frustrating issue similar to yours on the flight I booked through Choice Air ... my flight for 3 went down a considerable amount and they just wouldn't budge. I though maybe they could at least give me a couple of free checked bags or priority boarding after losing out on a few hundred dollars... but nothing.... zilch, zero, nada! I've just had to try to move on even though it still stings a bit. Oh well, I've tried! I am used to flying on Southwest so that will teach me to book with one of the other legacy airlines in the future ... ;)

I believe you will find if you try to open a dispute that it will be closed by the credit card company and will be unsuccessful.. What is there to dispute? Celebrity is providing the service you agreed to pay for the cabin you booked at the time of booking up until final payment. I understand the frustration that they won't upgrade you, but that doesn't have anything to do with the cabin you booked and the price it cost then (in the eyes of the credit card company.) I have also read reports that you could be flagged if you open a dispute and not be allowed to use that credit card in the future, which may not be a big deal to you.

It took me a few tries on my Christmas cruise after final payment. It was my second X cruise. I did have a cabin category that was waitlisted for 8 months. My first cruise with X, a lovely interior [emoji53] cabin I got the new bookings only. The worst was people joining the roll call saying they just booked a balcony guarantee at a great price.

Anyhow, I still booked on board for a cruise for Jan 2019. It was overpriced. This May they had a very healthy price drop. Got to keep everything so I am happy.

But I am really trying to stop booking too far in advance. With X it’s tough, I get the min of 200% fare and some cruises I looked at it was over 250%.

I don’t expect an upgrade, but if it’s available I will take it. I am booked in a 2b for me that’s fine.

I wouldn’t try to dispute the final payment via credit card. They may consider it a cancelation and you may loose some money and not go on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst was people joining the roll call saying they just booked a balcony guarantee at a great price.

Yes, that’s what does happen more and more often on X. Those booking GTYs are being allocated 1As etc. Rates are lower than initial pricing so pax can’t even upgrade because the GTY rates are much lower, or are told it’s a special rate so they don’t qualify.

Why don’t they offer those already booked the opportunity to upgrade for a nominal amount, and then give those booking the GTYs the lower subcategories? Surely it’s a win win for X? They would generate extra revenue from the additional money from those pax wanting to upgrade, who had already paid an initial higher rate, whilst still obtaining the revenue from those booking GTYs at the much lower discounted rate.

They are giving those better located cabins away as GTYs at sometimes ridiculously low rates, where they could actually generate additional revenue as well as off-loading the empty cabins to those paying low GTY rates.

Yes, that’s what does happen more and more often on X. Those booking GTYs are being allocated 1As etc. Rates are lower than initial pricing so pax can’t even upgrade because the GTY rates are much lower, or are told it’s a special rate so they don’t qualify.

Why don’t they offer those already booked the opportunity to upgrade for a nominal amount, and then give those booking the GTYs the lower subcategories? Surely it’s a win win for X? They would generate extra revenue from the additional money from those pax wanting to upgrade, who had already paid an initial higher rate, whilst still obtaining the revenue from those booking GTYs at the much lower discounted rate.

They are giving those better located cabins away as GTYs at sometimes ridiculously low rates, where they could actually generate additional revenue as well as off-loading the empty cabins to those paying low GTY rates.

That just makes too much sense!

Good to know... now that Celebrity is going with non refundable deposit program ... like RCCL.... combined with your experience. Does not make sense to book early, if you have the flexibility to travel at the last minute or within a few months.

I concur with this, especially since the OP has listed the time frames under which they can sail, They can look at the sailings they may want to consider, wait until after final payment to book and be happy with what is available at the time they can sail.

Issue in the future, solved. Then again, if the price for the selected sailings do not go down, but up then they are not in such a good position... roll the dice or spin the wheel... LOL

bon voyage

From Celebrity web page

Celebrity Cruises Best Price Guarantee

Our Celebrity Best Price Guarantee ensures that you will enjoy the lowest advertised rate on your cruise fare and your preferred promotional offer. If a lower cruise fare or different promotional offer advertised to the general public is found and your booking meets certain requirements, you may request to have that savings or promotion applied to your booking (savings options vary by whether the request is submitted before or after the final payment due date).

To apply for your onboard credit call: 1-888-751-7804

For a request submitted on or before the due date of final payment, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare:

Celebrity will reduce cruise fare to available prevailing cruise fare. If full payment has been made, a refund will be issued.

NOTE: an Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

For a request submitted after the due date of final payment AND the booking is within 48 hours from creation, the following applies:

Request for a Lower Cruise Fare

Celebrity will apply an onboard credit to the booking in the amount of 110% of the difference in price.

NOTE: An Added Value Offer refers to an amenity added to your booking, such as an onboard credit, specialty dining, shore excursion, etc.

Celebrity's Best Price Guarantee FAQ

Terms and Conditions

The Celebrity Best Price Guarantee (the "Guarantee") is available on a Celebrity cruise or cruise tour booked on or after May 1, 2014. If your booking meets either of the above requirements, you may request to have a lower cruise fare or a promotional offer advertised to the general public applied to your booking. The lower cruise fare and/or promotional offer must apply to the same cruise (defined as same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests). If within 48 hours from creation of booking or if on or before the due date of final payment, regardless of creation date of booking, you can submit a request to apply the lower cruise fare or promotional offer to your booking as described above.

The onboard credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit as of 10 PM on the last night of the cruise will be forfeited. Both the lower cruise fare and Value Added offer must be advertised by Celebrity Cruises and bookable in the United States and Canada.

You will be asked to provide the lower cruise fare and/or the Added Value offer (the "Requested Savings") as found on the Celebrity Cruises website. The Requested Savings must be available for booking or redemption at the time that Celebrity reviews the Claim Form submitted (usually within 48 hours from receipt of submission). Claim Forms must be submitted in accordance with these instructions within 48 hours of booking your cruise. Celebrity will verify the extent to which the booking is eligible for the Requested Savings.

It has to be within 48 hours of creation.

I doubt your bank would create a charge-back in this case, but if they did agree I wouldn't do it if you still plan on taking the cruise. Merchants (in this case celebrity or your TA) are charged for each chargeback (regardless of if it is successful or not) and the resources required to provide details to the credit card company are significant. I don't know of celebrity's US terms and conditions, but a frivolous charge-back against a travel provider can result in extra fees applied, or in the worst case cancellation and refund after the cancellation policy is applied.

When you signed up for this cruise you agreed to pay X amount to sail in a certain cabin on a certain date. If you were successful in a charge back; you would no longer be paying X amount. I think there's a very good chance Celebrity would look at that as voiding your contract and cancel your booking. So, unless that's a possibility you are willing to accept, I certainly wouldn't try that route.