I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

Britty1. I so agree with you. But good fictional writing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is NOT fiction!! :mad: I lived this with him last week. Are you going to call me a liar, too?

He has a life beyond Cruise Critic. So many of you are going after him as he hasn't written this all in one fell swoop. It is a LONG story. He has a family, job, LIFE, and he is probably in bed now as he is a morning person. He is trying to tell his story to help others. Quite frankly, I don't blame him if he doesn't finish.

When we travel as a family, DH and I have always had the rule that everyone does the same thing at each port or that one or the other parent stays with the kids at all times when on land. It may seem a bit overprotective, but you have to remember that even in very tourist friendly ports, you are still in another country (most of the time) and the buddy system is never a bad idea.

When we are traveling with the kids, who by the way are 13, 17 and 19 - we always take RCCL excursions or none at all. We actually print out the excursion booklet and everyone looks at them all and we have a family meeting to decide what we are doing in each port.

Even with intense planning, separation can happen and there is no way to be absolutely prepared. Waiting for the rest of OP's story - knowing that everyone was okay in the end, makes the suspense bearable.

Well I for one always take RCCL Cruise line excursions. Back in April a few years ago my sister was late getting back to Freedom but being on a RCCL tour the ship waited. While I was first to dinner, my parents were late because they wanted to make sure my sister made it back. My sister and I are in our 30's and 40's. Eventhough we are old enough to handle ourselves my parents would still worry about us.

Let me say a few things

1) I'd never get back on a ship without my kids, wife, grandma, whoever. Screw the ship, we're family, we came together, we leave together. But I'm always back on the ship much earlier.

2) I've heard the meeting time story part repeatedly and get it, but the rest has me perplexed.

I don't know who this Alfred guy is, but talk about some bad information.

The major airlines fly out of Nassau daily, multiple times a day. What's he mean, "try" to get a flight???

Now, it will usually take you an overnight to get there, which may be too late depending on how long it takes the ship to get there... so you might have to meet in Cozumel. But I would think the ship couldn't leave Nassau and get to Falmouth in 1 day.

The US Embassy is actually walking distance from the pier... no crazy van rides needed. it's a few blocks behind Señor Frogs.

Did he work for RCI? Was he the port agent? You would think he'd have a better plan than yelling at some lady, his job is to handle this. The way you describe this is so hap hazard. it's not the RCI I know.

I don't know why he brought you to such a dinky hotel. There's a very nice Hilton right near the pier, not to mention the Atlantis, and a really nice hotel across from the Embassy too.

I wouldn't listen to Alfred and stay in an unsafe place that I had to pay for. I'd be like I'm staying at the Hilton and catching a cab to the Embassy to get my passport and then the airport, thanks and goodbye dude!

Not sure what other advice anyone needs.

Call the hotel, get a room. Make your calls, ask RCI what to do when you arrive in Falmouth and to give you a local contact. Sleep. Go to the Embassy in the morning, Get your passport. Go to the airport, fork over the fortune, get on a plane, fly to their hub and then on to ship wherever you can catch it.

Once there, re-register and try to enjoy the last day or so.

Not being mean, but i just don't understand.

Edited by RCCL Fan

Oh for the love of God, EVERYTHING doesn't have to be done in three (sorry TWO!) minutes. Let the man tell his story at his own pace and in his own words. Otherwise, why not move on and come back later and read it all in a few minutes. Wham Bam, you're done...

Edited by HandE

Oh for the love of God, EVERYTHING doesn't have to be done in three (sorry TWO!) minutes. Let the man tell his story at his own pace and in his own words. Otherwise, why not move on and come back later and read it all in a few minutes. Wham Bam, you're done...

Thank you. My mind just boggles here. :confused: You get it.

And unless you were searching for flights that were available 36 hours ahead - you really have no idea what was available at that point in time. The OP does.

Keep in mind, it was late in the day, he couldn't get in touch with his family (if calls were dropping, they were dropping), he was by himself in a foreign country without being prepared for it, and it was scary. Have some empathy, people!!

He had NO passport, so could not fly until he had one. That limits flights tremendously.

I have been in similar situation (not from missing a ship, but by the airline tossing us out - for a week at Christmas). I sat on the floor of Heathrow crying, as for hours no one helped, and I was injured and in agony. We were all on our own. No hotel. No luggage. Thank heavens there was our insurance company booking us rooms. Out you go into freezing temps. Buh bye. Stop. Think. You are not this person. You do not know how he was feeling. Only he does. He knows what flights were available.

It is easy to be an armchair quarterback when it is not you.

Edited by dirtgirl

I am a little surprised that if their was still a ferry that was leaving for Florida to FLL or Mia that they didn't try to get you on it!

This is one of my biggest fears, and my last trip to Cozumel and the taxi driver in Cozumel didn't know Vision and he asked the port name and I forgot but I said where the 2 Carnival ships were and he knew that! I must say I was glad to see Vision in all her glory! I really try to be back about and hour early and head to the bar for a nice cold Lava Flow! I know Vision on my cruise was late out of Roatan and Cozumel for late Pax. half hour both ports!

I hope CH you finish this story so we can all use this as a learning experience.

Thanks for sharing.

And unless you were searching for flights that were available 36 hours ahead - you really have no idea what was available at that point in time. The OP does.

Keep in mind, it was late in the day, he couldn't get in touch with his family (if calls were dropping, they were dropping), he was by himself in a foreign country without being prepared for it, and it was scary. Have some empathy, people!!

He had NO passport, so could not fly until he had one. That limits flights tremendously.

I have been in similar situation (not from missing a ship, but by the airline tossing us out - for a week at Christmas). I sat on the floor of Heathrow crying, as for hours no one helped, and I was injured and in agony. We were all on our own. No hotel. No luggage. Thank heavens there was our insurance company booking us rooms. Out you go into freezing temps. Buh bye. Stop. Think. You are not this person. You do not know how he was feeling. Only he does. He knows what flights were available.

Perhaps the people who lack the empathy haven't experienced what it is like when travel goes wrong. They don't have the right to judge as it often goes wrong through no fault.

I've had a few things go wrong over the years and it does get easier to cope with as experience grows. I've been round the world at least 6 times and so now I know what to expect and it doesn't stress me anymore - a passport and a credit card fixes most things :) But the first time something went wrong it was stressville city.

Thanks to the OP for trying to convey the experience (and in such an eloquent way) - many people will be the better for it.

:)

Edited by jenibor

Perhaps the people who lack the empathy haven't experienced what it is like when travel goes wrong. They don't have the right to judge as it often goes wrong through no fault.

I've had a few things go wrong over the years and it does get easier to cope with as experience grows. I've been round the world at least 6 times and so now I know what to expect and it doesn't stress me anymore - a passport and a credit card fixes most things :) But the first time something went wrong it was stressville city.

Thanks to the OP for trying to convey the experience (and in such an eloquent way) - many people will be the better for it.

:)

Thank you. :)

And I know I am stronger for having gone through it, as the OP is. Stress - oh yes.

Edited by dirtgirl

My apologies, I'm back...

First, I know that some said that they would've gone to the ship and checked so see if son was on... but think about it, what if my friend left him, and my son was all alone in Atlantis, NO MONEY, no clothes, NO STREET SMARTS?! For those of you that said you would've gone to the ship, I really don't know what to say... just think about it.

I would not have left my 24 year old adult son, let alone a teen. I would have done exactly what you did. So sorry this happened to you.

I haven't even read the whole thread yet. I was on page 3 when you were at Atlantis, sending your wife back and were in the cab with all the backpacks. I had to stop reading it. I could feel your anxiety!

Once in Cozumel, my husband and I split up in the shopping area of the port and we also supposed to meet at a certain time at the gate. I kept waiting and waiting....and started to cry (feeling what you were explaining) because I didn't want to leave, but didn't want to miss the ship. I left and went to the ship (I still had an hour) and got in the line to get on the ship. I asked one of the crew to check if he was on the ship. He was on the ship, I was so relieved, I started crying again. When I got to him( no I didn't want to kill him) he said he had gotten a migraine and told one of our friends to tell me he went back to the ship. Never saw our friend.

We made a deal right there to always go back to the ship if something like that happens again.

As I said, I haven't read all of the comments, but anyone that is mean or chastising you is crappy. It's a total freak out experience.

Thank you for the first account experience. You are sharing the details of a cruiser's nightmare.

Kathy

The agreed upon time to meet was 3:30, last call for ship was 4:30. I told my friend this, he tried to say 4:00. I said, NO, 3:30, we need to make it back! He agrees. 3:30 comes, nothing, 3:45, nothing. 4:00, nothing! At 4:15 I sent my oldest son and wife back.

Thanks for telling us your story.

I'm a bit confused. Your friend, his daughter and your son went back to the ship on their own? While you waited at the agreed up meeting spot?

Klfhngr... I am feeling your pain. So sorry this happened to you, but the important thing is that you and your family are safe. At least, now you've got a great story to tell.

I hope your next cruise is less "exciting". :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by QueensChick

I understand the skepticism and the questioning why this is taking so long. BTW, everyone has the right to post what they think about it.

I believe he missed the ship. Do I believe it was as dramatic as he's making it? No. Him being "terrified", etc seems a lot over the top. Do I think he enjoys the attention (neg and pos), yes I do. There are tourists in Nassau after dark and traffic through town as well as cops. I think he really enjoys stringing us all along just to tell a story that could have been written in word and pasted into a thread in two or three posts. Most reviews of 7+ day cruises can be done in 3-4 posts and be pretty thorough.

Been to Nassau many times, stayed at Atlantis for several days also. Are there bad areas in town? Sure, just like any town, but as others have said, everything he needed was in a few blocks, including a very nice Hilton.

Edited by BND

mmmm

To everyone saying the OP is overly dramatic or dragging the story out, have you experienced the panic of losing your child in a strange place? Remember that once the ship had left, he still didn't know what had happened and that sort of panic doesn't resolve for a while.

It is very easy to feel superior if you haven't been in the same situation.

I agree with RCCLguy and Snoles00. The story, if true, is embellished. With or without the cruiseships in port Nassau is loaded with tourists downtown. This guy makes it sound like he was the only tourist. There are also multiple hotel options within site. I also am thinking the RCCL ship is not the last to leave the port as usually the Carnival ships are last to leave. While there are unlimited holes in the story, it is entertaining at the least.

His ship was unusually late in leaving Nassau that day due to a change in itinerary because of a hurricane.

I've been on CC a long time.

I stay away from controversial threads, and more often than not keep my opinions about other posters to myself. I tend to read a lot more than I post these days.

I'm sitting here literally shaking my head at the level of nastiness displayed here.

The OP is telling a story that unless you KNOW to be untrue, must be considered TRUE. Why on earth would he invest his time in creating a story like this if it weren't true?

I get that there are other people around here who play games, post only to increase their post count (because the award for the most posts on CC is a free cruise?) and generally stir the pot, but this thread shows no evidence of any of the above.

I usually read the nasty comments and move on - truth is, I half expect it now. I really wish people would be respectful of each other on here. I'm here less and less because it is becoming intolerable.

To the OP - sorry for the rant, but I really feel people are being unfair by accusing you of fabricating this story. I am interested to know how this situation was ultimately resolved and encourage you to continue your story in the hopes of helping someone else who may find themselves in the same, unfortunate situation.

• Like 1

I've been on CC a long time.

I stay away from controversial threads, and more often than not keep my opinions about other posters to myself. I tend to read a lot more than I post these days.

I'm sitting here literally shaking my head at the level of nastiness displayed here.

The OP is telling a story that unless you KNOW to be untrue, must be considered TRUE. Why on earth would he invest his time in creating a story like this if it weren't true?

I get that there are other people around here who play games, post only to increase their post count (because the award for the most posts on CC is a free cruise?) and generally stir the pot, but this thread shows no evidence of any of the above.

I usually read the nasty comments and move on - truth is, I half expect it now. I really wish people would be respectful of each other on here. I'm here less and less because it is becoming intolerable.

To the OP - sorry for the rant, but I really feel people are being unfair by accusing you of fabricating this story. I am interested to know how this situation was ultimately resolved and encourage you to continue your story in the hopes of helping someone else who may find themselves in the same, unfortunate situation.

Thank for you saying what I have been wanting to say here on this thread. I don't understand why people have to be so nasty!! OP took the time to write this to help others that some day may be in the same situation. I certainly have learned a lot so far.

To Klfhngr, please don't let these rude folks stop you from finishing your story!! To those who don't believe the story is true, move on, go some place else to spread your toxicity!!

I understand the skepticism and the questioning why this is taking so long. BTW, everyone has the right to post what they think about it.

I believe he missed the ship. Do I believe it was as dramatic as he's making it? No. Him being "terrified", etc seems a lot over the top. Do I think he enjoys the attention (neg and pos), yes I do. There are tourists in Nassau after dark and traffic through town as well as cops. I think he really enjoys stringing us all along just to tell a story that could have been written in word and pasted into a thread in two or three posts. Most reviews of 7+ day cruises can be done in 3-4 posts and be pretty thorough.

Been to Nassau many times, stayed at Atlantis for several days also. Are there bad areas in town? Sure, just like any town, but as others have said, everything he needed was in a few blocks, including a very nice Hilton.

In July our family of 12 had 5 rooms booked at the Cove/Atlantis. My son and his girlfriend flew in the day before and spent the night at The British Colonial Hilton. In that area there are tons of tourists. Wasn't worried about them at all. Don't understand the sketchy hotel setting. But, if that happened to me I know I would never leave a family member. Grab your passport, I know, he didn't have one, don't know why anyone would travel off their own soil and not have one. Cash, credit cards and stand on the dock. But I still believe the OP, can't believe the stress that would cause. I think this is a great thread, should cause everyone to be better prepared when leaving the ship.

Edited by buckeye rob

Yes Heathrow is awful when it comes to helping people.

Klfhngr, please don't let a handful of naysayers stop you from finishing your story!! I was following your live thread during the cruise, and I'd love read the (eventual) happy ending!:) I like your way of telling a story, and I think we've all wondered/had nightmares about what we'd do if we missed a ship!

To those of you who doubt the story...why don't you just move on and read a tipping thread or discuss something fascinating like what people wear to dinner? This is Klfhngr's tale, and if you doubt it, fine, but why be rude and kill a thread?

I've been on CC for a long time, and I remember when every post was to help each other and solve problems. Now there are times when I just have to shake my head at the things people write.:confused:

Edited by Cindy

In July our family of 12 had 5 rooms booked at the Cove/Atlantis. My son and his girlfriend flew in the day before and spent the night at The British Colonial Hilton. In that area there are tons of tourists. Wasn't worried about them at all. Don't understand the sketchy hotel setting. But, if that happened to me I know I would never leave a family member. Grab your passport, I know, he didn't have one, don't know why anyone would travel off their own soil and not have one. Cash, credit cards and stand on the dock. But I still believe the OP, can't believe the stress that would cause. I think this is a great thread, should cause everyone to be better prepared when leaving the ship.

As I said, I believe that he missed the ship, but we can all question what happened after the fact. We would never leave a child either, but I think people need to remember there are always 3 sides to every story and we're getting the OP's version. When I said previously it was over the top I wasn't talking about his reaction to worrying about his son and staying for him, but to his "terrified" reaction to being in Nassau and mentioning twice that he was the only white guy there (not those exact words, but it was implied).

I would absolutely not leave my child so that to me is not an issue as he didn't, but could he have handled it a little differently, yes, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I've been on CC a long time too and some threads are overly embellished because some people just have a need to be the center of attention and will stretch out their story to remain so. Just like some people are in real life. It's almost as if they think people won't believe them if they don't create drama. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but we're also all allowed to have a healthy dose of skepticism. That I think logically has served me well over the years.

Edited by BND

Klfhngr, please don't let a handful of naysayers stop you from finishing your story!! I was following your live thread during the cruise, and I'd love read the (eventual) happy ending!:) I like your way of telling a story, and I think we've all wondered/had nightmares about what we'd do if we missed a ship!

To those of you who doubt the story...why don't you just move on and read a tipping thread or discuss something fascinating like what people wear to dinner? This is Klfhngr's tale, and if you doubt it, fine, but why be rude and kill a thread?

I've been on CC for a long time, and I remember when every post was to help each other and solve problems. Now there are times when I just have to shake my head at the things people write.:confused:

Agree, please come back and tell the end of your story to those of us who care. Don't worry about all the negative post. As a long time cc I find this all very interesting. Cruising in March for the 10th time. And while I feel pretty experienced, we will be traveling with several elderly. so of the points everyone made about being separated and not meeting on time and planning out ahead of time to go back to the ship at a certain time are very smart points. So regardless what some say, your thread has made others (including me) think ahead to the "what if"

Please continue as some of us are truly interested in the outcome.

Just a couple of comments.

First, I was one who stated I'd go back to the ship and wait at the dock for my son. I said this specifically in "20/20 hindsight." I thought I read that the son with a friend was not all that young. Plus if he was with a friend then surely the friend wouldn't abandon him. But if I got back to the ship (I also said this), and he wasn't onboard (fairly easy to determine these days), then when the ship sailed I'd head back to Atlantis. Unlikely that he would leave Atlantis and go anywhere other than the ship. But as I said I have the advantage of reading this and considering options.

Another comment, to all who are negative. Real or not, it's an interesting story. More importantly it makes one consider what to do if it ever happens to you. Also some good info is being passed, particularly where the U.S. Embassy is in Nassau, etc. So what I have realized is that if you ever miss the ship, fight the emotions and fight the tendency to panic, and figure out the best course of action. I am an airline pilot and I happen to know that there are daily multiple flights to Atlanta, Ga. on Delta out of Nassau. Now, it would have to be the next day, but it's available. However the OP did say that Alfred mentioned a flight "directly to Jamaica." Anyway, most of these Caribbean ports have numerous flights to the U.S. on numerous airlines. So lesson... don't panic, it'll work out. Check into a hotel, grab a drink, and consider your options. Above all don't panic. This happens all the time.