Will Celebrity follow Royal Caribbean's New Non-Refundable Cruise Deposit?

ChucktownSteve

Royal Caribbean has announced a new Non-Refundable Deposit Program that will be launched fleet-wide on July 1, 2017. Cruisers will have the choice to choose the Non-Refundable Deposit Program when booking a cruise more than six months before sailing. Those that do choose this fare will receive up to $100 in onboard credit. The best part is that the early booking credit is combinable with the existing promotional offer available at time of booking.

In an effort to deter continual or late ship/sail date adjustments, a change fee of $100 per guest will be imposed to all reservations booked under a nonrefundable deposit fare that opts to change either the ship and/or sail date originally selected. Such fees will be incurred, without exception, at time of change.

I suspect it will depend on how successful it is with RCCL. While there is a cost for cancellations, cruise lines encourage and rely on early bookings. If this discourages too many people from early booking, RCCL will probably cancel this test. I know, in my work situation I could never get vacation approved more than a few months out, so I will not make an booking with RCCL now and hope my vacation is approved. I have had to cancel cruises just outside of final payment in the past.

In fact, since most of my cruises are just escape the winter Caribbean cruises, if this policy expands across the industry I'll probably wait until inside final payment to see if there are bargains.:D

Of course for longer cruises outside of the Caribbean, which I like to book in advance I'll just avoid RCCL because of the new policy.

Robert

I wonder how many cancellations they get right before final payment. This might be a way to try and avoid having to sell so many cabins at lower prices after final payment (something RCL had said they were going to stop doing, even if ships sail with less than full capacity).

I tried to find this information on the Royal boards, had heard nothing about it at all and don't much like it!! What about those of us who have deposits NOW for cruises in 2018 with Royal.....if we cancel after July 1 will we get our deposit back?

I've been following this as this was first brought up in reference to onboard bookings specifically to Grand Suites and above.

Here are a few links that can help and a snippet from the second document that gets a bit more indepth:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal...rview_News.pdf

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal...e_FAQ_News.pdf

Why was the decision made to enforce only nonrefundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?

In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite. This also holds true for guarantee categories, including W/WS, X/XB, XN, Y/YO, and Z/ZI, where lower lead fares are typically the best deal.

I wonder how many cancellations they get right before final payment. This might be a way to try and avoid having to sell so many cabins at lower prices after final payment (something RCL had said they were going to stop doing, even if ships sail with less than full capacity).

On the other side of the coin, all these bookings booked at a whim, because there is no penalty, shows and inflated demand which raises prices and takes preferential cabins out of the picture for serious shoppers. We do a share of our cruising by booking after final payments and we are not seeing the favorable pricing we used to.

We were surprised to find our recent deposit on HAL is nonrefundanle. The refundable overall price was higher.
I would love if Celebrity would do this like some airlines do. For those of us that book way ahead and don't cancel, this would be a win.

I'm all for this! I hear people on CC talk about having multiple bookings while admitting that they will cancel some later. This booking of multiple cruises that later get canceled drives the demand for those cruises higher and thus price increases. People snag prime cabins knowing that they most likely will cancel. I say about time.

Royal Caribbean has announced a new Non-Refundable Deposit Program that will be launched fleet-wide on July 1, 2017. Cruisers will have the choice to choose the Non-Refundable Deposit Program when booking a cruise more than six months before sailing. Those that do choose this fare will receive up to $100 in onboard credit. The best part is that the early booking credit is combinable with the existing promotional offer available at time of booking.

In an effort to deter continual or late ship/sail date adjustments, a change fee of $100 per guest will be imposed to all reservations booked under a nonrefundable deposit fare that opts to change either the ship and/or sail date originally selected. Such fees will be incurred, without exception, at time of change.

I thought Non Refundable deposit applies to Guarantees and High End Suites.

I thought Non Refundable deposit applies to Guarantees and High End Suites.

In the UK the policy has always been that if you book a holiday - cruise, AI resort or package - the deposit is non-refundable. That is why we only ever book something we really want to do and not risk losing money if we change our mind.

In the UK the policy has always been that if you book a holiday - cruise, AI resort or package - the deposit is non-refundable. That is why we only ever book something we really want to do and not risk losing money if we change our mind.

This has been challenged in the UK and it will be interesting to see how travel companies react when challenged.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/crackdown-on-unfair-company-tcs-spells-the-end-of-non-refundable/amp/

It's unreasonable to keep the whole of the deposit when the holiday has been resold. Before someone tells me it's due to greater protection in the UK under the law. There has been much discussion around that point of view. As yet no one has provided a link to the legislation they purport gives us greater protection and thus justifies the difference in T&Cs in different countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This has been challenged in the UK and it will be interesting to see how travel companies react when challenged.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/crackdown-on-unfair-company-tcs-spells-the-end-of-non-refundable/amp/

It's unreasonable to keep the whole of the deposit when the holiday has been resold. Before someone tells me it's due to greater protection in the UK under the law. There has been much discussion around that point of view. As yet no one has provided a link to the legislation they purport gives us greater protection and thus justifies the difference in T&Cs in different countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The article you referenced would not apply to main stream cruise line in most cases. 1. The deposits are relatively low compared to the example given which was in the thousands of pounds range. 2. The article also referenced only those that had to cancel due to no fault of their own, such as death or severe illness.

I am pretty sure that the mainstream cruise lines could fairly easily justify the current level of deposits by showing their marketing cost per passenger, coupled with after final payment date fare reduction percentages.

Not quite sure if the offering of insurance, that is refused by the customer, is considered under the travel law that they reference.

I think this is a great idea and am all for it. The number of people who book cruises on a whim and take up space they never intend to actually follow-through with is a problem. It costs in customer service time and system time every time someone calls to cancel or make a change. It costs the line in opportunity as well since people tend to book the most desirable cabins first. We've had several people on these boards boast that they reserve cabins on cruises with overlapping itineraries so they get what they want without having to commit because they can cancel up until payment is demanded. This is only an issue because there will always be people who try to "beat the system".

We book way ahead for cruises. I'm on my 50th cruise right now. 26th on Celebrity. We normally book on board while cruising. We have 6 up coming cruises all booked on Celebrity. Only one not in a Sky suite. I have had to only move one cruise. My concern is I might book a aqua cabin if I think the suite price is to high. Then watch for a price drop in suites.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Location, location, location. I like my cabin center or center aft and near the elevator. I like being under the pool or under the Oceanview cafe with the overhang. The last thing I want is a aft cabin or one up forward. Or a inside cabin across the hall. But that is me. S class give me deck 12. M Class give me deck 6. Not all of us like the same thing. And that is a good thing.

Sorry, I am not following this new Royal program. Is it just a new change fee being impemented? That seems fair...not a huge loss for changing dates/ships.

Some X cruises have a reduced deposit but some require up to $900...that would be alot to lose, i think there is already a graduated penalty for cancelling at certain time frames,,,

I find all these cancellation penalties very difficult to deal with. Dealing with the airlines is already a nightmare of fees and penalties. I hope the cruise industry doesn't get the same way. People who work and need to get time off, and caregivers who need to make arrangements for care or others in order to get time away need to be able to make those arrangements. The penalty would take away the ability to book onboard and take advantage of the booking on board perks for all these people

The reverse - Celebrity is known to cancel reservations made months in advance when the ship is "suddenly " chartered, leaving passengers with airline and hotel reservations already made - and those hard to get time off vacation times already granted and firm.

So many people I talk to say it is too much work and stress to deal with all this - and choose to not travel anymore.

Location, location, location. I like my cabin center or center aft and near the elevator. I like being under the pool or under the Oceanview cafe with the overhang. The last thing I want is a aft cabin or one up forward. Or a inside cabin across the hall. But that is me. S class give me deck 12. M Class give me deck 6. Not all of us like the same thing. And that is a good thing.

What has this got to do with the subject of the post?

Having a booking is great for all. Having Booking and Cancelation Insurance is a must have now too.

Have youall noticed the Insurance policies have skyrocked as onbaord items, fees ( once called Tips), and even Cabin Service has a High Fee!

Deposits we do not care much about . As usually we have obtained the very best rates prior to any cruise. Shopping is now more a research project.

That may be best done by yorself and/or obtain a ASTA Travel Agent who books cruises a lot!

On Insurance make sure as in any CONTRACT to read everything well!

Same in Germany and most other European countries I know of.

Our deposit is much higher (10%) and we can not cancel or make any changes without loosing the deposit. There is no "changes before final payment" rule for us.

I understand that those who have the chance to jump ship or change are happy about it. However, in a sense of fairness I would not mind applying the same rule to everybody. Which ever one it is...

Many people have cruises blocked they won't do. Before final payment they cancel or change. Until then those staterooms are blocked for others in other countries who don't even have a chance to jump on the occasion later on, because they are stuck with their booking due to different regulations.

We still work, we have to plan ahead, book far in advance and have no chance of waiting for staterooms to show up just 60 days before a cruise.

I'm all for this! I hear people on CC talk about having multiple bookings while admitting that they will cancel some later. This booking of multiple cruises that later get canceled drives the demand for those cruises higher and thus price increases. People snag prime cabins knowing that they most likely will cancel. I say about time.

I would agree, as long as the cancelation fee is only $100.

I think this is a great idea and am all for it. The number of people who book cruises on a whim and take up space they never intend to actually follow-through with is a problem. It costs in customer service time and system time every time someone calls to cancel or make a change. It costs the line in opportunity as well since people tend to book the most desirable cabins first. We've had several people on these boards boast that they reserve cabins on cruises with overlapping itineraries so they get what they want without having to commit because they can cancel up until payment is demanded. This is only an issue because there will always be people who try to "beat the system".

That's not beating the system.....making bookings is exactly what Celebrity wants....they invite bookings with specials of only a $50 deposit. Celebrity is undoubtedly quite happy that they have succeeded and their early bookings are up.

That's not beating the system.....making bookings is exactly what Celebrity wants....they invite bookings with specials of only a $50 deposit. Celebrity is undoubtedly quite happy that they have succeeded and their early bookings are up.

I am certain Celebrity is not inviting people to book early and often with the intent of canceling. That is exactly what is happening. Therefore, if Celebrity were to implement such a change, it would reduce (although not eliminate) that particular problem.

Bookings is not their goal, completed payments for fares is their goal.

I'm not for it at all.....I am not someone who books many cruises early and then cancels....we generally book what we want and unless something comes up we go on the cruise. But I don't like the idea that if we have a conflict at some point that we will be penalized for it........they will lose my "early booking" dollars when this goes into effect....and I'm sure I am not alone.....apparently they are fine with that....