I Thought Royal Caribbean was a Great Cruise Line

kasingk

So sorry about your luggage. I have been cruising about 15 years on what I consider mainline cruise lines, not luxury lines. In the bugging I would have rated Royal Caribbean a 7 or 8+, now I would rate a 5 or 6. But they are not the only line that has downgraded, Celebrity was always a solid 9, now a 6 or 7. Carnival was a 5 or 6, now a 3 to 5. But yes, we keep cruising and the ships keep selling out. We can not afford 2 cruises a year on a luxury line, so sadly we have just had to lower our expectations. Once again, Good Luck with luggage issue.

You do NOT owe anyone here an explanation of why you did not use your CPAP machine on the last night.

Try contacting Michael Bailey with a nice calm letter.

Bob can you please provide his email? Thanks!

The discussion is good for newbies who might have thought about doing the same. You don't put medical equipment that can cost thousands of dollars into a bag that's going out of your sight.

And should the OP cruise in the future it's good to think about. If they end up with a relaxer that machine it will certainly be smaller than whatever he had before, and more portable. Dh's from 5 years ago was a beast compared to what he has now.

And the discussion of asking for assistance is also a good one.

OP, I bet Chinese customs is part of the problem in getting it back. It's not as simple as if it had been left in port canaveral.

Ask for assistance before and during your travel.

Keep your luggage in your cabin and take it with you when you disembark (we do it all the time now as it is much quicker to depart).

Hope they return your luggage.

Sorry that the first thing people do on here is to try and find fault with your story.

Enjoy your next cruise with whoever it may be.

Might be nice if royal dealt with this promptly now it is more public but don't hold your breath (well, not without your CPAP anyways)

And this is why we always walk off with our luggage. I know you said that it would be too difficult for you to do that, but for those that can do it, it's a better option, IMO. And it's a good reminder that you shouldn't pack any medical equipment in luggage that will be out of your hands. I'd send anything else first.

Ken, I hope your insurance has replaced your CPAP machine with the type my husband has. It is light weight and very portable. That will make any traveling you do much easier. I am sorry for your trouble and hope your future trips are nothing but relaxing!

Thank you all nice people for your kind words and advice. It's really nice to have joined this forum as otherwise I would not know what to do.

Yes. I have taken your advice and wrote an email to Mr. Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean. I stayed calm and polite, described my case in detail, and asked him for help.

I sent the email out late at night on Friday. Amazingly, I got a call early Saturday morning from a Supervisor of Customer Services. He said Mr Bayley referred my email to him for action.

The supervisor said it is not acceptable for such a delay in sending back my luggage and he will get to the bottom of this. He said he has asked everybody he knows in their China (Shanghai) office for an explanation and to send back my luggage as soon as possible. He even authorized me to rent a replacement CPAP for temporary use. However, due to time difference and practices in the other office, it may take a few days to get their response. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you all again for your care on my lost luggage. I will update you again when I get my luggage back or when I otherwise get any update from Royal Caribbean.

Ken

Thank you all nice people for your kind words and advice.... Yes. I have taken your advice and wrote an email to Mr. Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean. I stayed calm and polite, described my case in detail, and asked him for help.

Excellent to hear, glad the e-mail worked for you. Hoping for the best. :)

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was in a Grand Suite. We disembark only to find one of our pieces of luggage was missing (mostly dirty clothes). The on-site folks helped us search but to no avail, so we filled out a lost luggage slip. Shortly after landing from our return flight, I received a call from a Dallas number. Turns out another suite passenger mistook one of our bags for theirs. They were hoping I had their missing suitcase, but I did not. Since it was their mistake, they were responsible for shipping it to me, which they were kind enough to. I have no idea what the resolution would have been had they chosen not to.

Just to say....its not necessarily Royal Caribbean's fault. Just like in an airport, some people screw up and grab the wrong bag. Definitely odd that they found the bag only to have lost it again, and yes, dealing with any large corporation (especially when the incident happened over seas) can be frustrating. As others have said, I would file a claim with my travel insurance policy, especially since you have lost your expensive CPAP machine.

Another thing, the bag may be found, but the people who have are not RCCL people, but agents of RCCL.

Plus, if it is in China, there may be customs issues in getting it out.

A number of reasons why it is not already back, but OTOH, I would think the RCCL would be able to tell you what is going on, what the holdup is, and what is likely to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the handling of my lost luggage by RoyalCaribbean.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and adviceon my attempts to regain my lost luggage and my CPAP machine. And specialthanks to Ocean Dancer, Sarah and Bob for giving me the email address of MrMichael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.

As per your advice, I wrote a calm and polite email to MrBayley listing in detail my case of lost luggage and asking him for help to retrievemy luggage, which was found over 3 months ago but was kept somewhere in theRoyal Caribbean China Office without anyone trying to send it back to me.

My email was sent out late at night on Friday, Pacific Time.To my great surprise, I received a phone call early Saturday morning from aSupervisor of Royal Caribbean Guest Experience Management Office, saying thatMr Bayley has asked him to look into the matter. The Supervisor assured me thathe will get to the bottom of this and will give me back my luggage as soon aspossible. He even said he authorizes me to rent a CPAP for my temporary use.

In the following days we exchanged a few phone calls andemails to confirm certain details of my luggage.

And guess what, within a week after my first email to MrBayley, a FedEx delivery person was knocking on my door with my luggage. What agreat surprise and a great relieve!

This incident shows that I was wrong initially to assumethat Royal Caribbean does not care about their customers. Through the properchannels, the Royal Caribbean management people can accomplish something in aweek that their field personnel could not do in 4 months. I wrote a wholeheartedThank You note to Mr Bayley, specifically mentioning the effort and efficiencyof his Supervisor. The Supervisor even told me that Royal Caribbean will giveme a Future Cruise Credit for my ordeal.

And once again I want to thank all of you for your help ingetting back my lost luggage. Without your help I really don’t know where Iwould be. Now that I am re-united with my CPAP machine, I can sleep well atnight. May I wish all of you Good Luck, Good Health and Great Success in life.

Ken

I'm so glad you got your CPAP back. By now, I assume Medicare supplied you with a new one, since you couldn't have gone without it.

I've never checked to see what Medicare does in case of loss. When you sail again, you can have excellent wheelchair assistance for both of you. That includes boarding the ship, too.

My DH carries my CPAP in a backpack and swears it's not uncomfortable. I am unable to sleep without it because I stop breathing and don't start again. It's serious business, so I hope you're never parted from yours again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sent an email to Mr. Bailey about an issue with my payment balance on a cruise and he had one of his reps contact me and it was fixed within 2 days. Along with $100 OBC. He may be a bigwig but he does seem to want to help.

The 3 or 4 people I talked to on the phone at Royal sure couldn't seem to figure it out.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and adviceon my attempts to regain my lost luggage and my CPAP machine. And specialthanks to Ocean Dancer, Sarah and Bob for giving me the email address of MrMichael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.

As per your advice, I wrote a calm and polite email to MrBayley listing in detail my case of lost luggage and asking him for help to retrievemy luggage, which was found over 3 months ago but was kept somewhere in theRoyal Caribbean China Office without anyone trying to send it back to me.

My email was sent out late at night on Friday, Pacific Time.To my great surprise, I received a phone call early Saturday morning from aSupervisor of Royal Caribbean Guest Experience Management Office, saying thatMr Bayley has asked him to look into the matter. The Supervisor assured me thathe will get to the bottom of this and will give me back my luggage as soon aspossible. He even said he authorizes me to rent a CPAP for my temporary use.

In the following days we exchanged a few phone calls andemails to confirm certain details of my luggage.

And guess what, within a week after my first email to MrBayley, a FedEx delivery person was knocking on my door with my luggage. What agreat surprise and a great relieve!

This incident shows that I was wrong initially to assumethat Royal Caribbean does not care about their customers. Through the properchannels, the Royal Caribbean management people can accomplish something in aweek that their field personnel could not do in 4 months. I wrote a wholeheartedThank You note to Mr Bayley, specifically mentioning the effort and efficiencyof his Supervisor. The Supervisor even told me that Royal Caribbean will giveme a Future Cruise Credit for my ordeal.

And once again I want to thank all of you for your help ingetting back my lost luggage. Without your help I really don’t know where Iwould be. Now that I am re-united with my CPAP machine, I can sleep well atnight. May I wish all of you Good Luck, Good Health and Great Success in life.

Ken

I am glad that you took the advice people gave you to reach out to Michael Bayley. Often people think that it is inappropriate to reach out the him, as the President of the company.....as you see, when you have exhausted all the other resources, Mr. Bayley is the right resource. It is unrealistic to expect a call from him, but he will put the email in the hands of someone to help the cruiser with the problem at hand.

Ken

Glad it worked out for you. Thank you for letting us know...

Anyone cruising with Royal Caribbean should heed this advice: Take your own luggage with you on disembarkation.

Hello. I'm Ken. I have taken 16 cruises, 4 of which were with Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was with the Ovation of the Seas in April 2017.

My past experience with Royal Caribbean was mainly possitive, until this last cruise.

Briefly put, the ship lost one piece of my luggage upon disembarkation in Tianjin, China. A lost report was filled out at the pier.

Upon coming home, I tried to contact Royal Caribbean about my lost luggage. This is when I found out that there is no way I can make contact other than calling a 1-800 number. This number connects to their Guest Relations Dept, which is apparently located in Manilla. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with an office located in Manilla, except that this office is set up for the sole purpose of calming their concerned customers only. They cannot help in any other way, even though I told them that I have my CPAP machine in the luggage, a medical equipment that I rely on every night for health purposes.

For a span of 4 months and 12 phone calls to this office, the only answers to my lost luggage are:

(1) The luggage has been found back in May 2017.

(2) The luggage has been relocated to another Royal Caribbean office in Shanghai, China.

(3) They have no information on whether or when the luggage will be shipped back to me.

(4) They don't know why. And Guest Relations Dept cannot give me any other contact in Royal Caribbean.

In this period of 4 months since my luggage was lost, I have tried to contact the Royal Caribbean Luggage Support Dept and even the Royal Caribbean Corporate Office, by emails and letter mail. Royal Caribbean didn't even respond.

And Royal Caribbean Guest Relations cannot or will not give me any reason why they are not shipping back my lost luggage, even after 4 months since the luggage has been found.

So, the moral of my storey is: If you don't want to go through the major headache of losing your luggage with Royal Caribbean, take all your luggage yourself with you on disembarkation. Don't leave them out on the corridor outside your state room.

For me, 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean seem to be enough. Afterall, other cruise lines give me much better perks and customer service.

PS

Just in case this forum message catches the eye of Royal Caribbean, who may want to verify the authenticity of the storey, my "Reservation No." is 1155874.

Coming up on 50 cruises and have never had an issue with RCL, also use luggage valet whenever possible. S--- happens, such is life . Do you not have insurance for lost luggage???? It can happen anytime on any cruise line or flight.:rolleyes:

Anyone cruising with Royal Caribbean should heed this advice: Take your own luggage with you on disembarkation.

Hello. I'm Ken. I have taken 16 cruises, 4 of which were with Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was with the Ovation of the Seas in April 2017.

My past experience with Royal Caribbean was mainly possitive, until this last cruise.

Briefly put, the ship lost one piece of my luggage upon disembarkation in Tianjin, China. A lost report was filled out at the pier.

Upon coming home, I tried to contact Royal Caribbean about my lost luggage. This is when I found out that there is no way I can make contact other than calling a 1-800 number. This number connects to their Guest Relations Dept, which is apparently located in Manilla. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with an office located in Manilla, except that this office is set up for the sole purpose of calming their concerned customers only. They cannot help in any other way, even though I told them that I have my CPAP machine in the luggage, a medical equipment that I rely on every night for health purposes.

For a span of 4 months and 12 phone calls to this office, the only answers to my lost luggage are:

(1) The luggage has been found back in May 2017.

(2) The luggage has been relocated to another Royal Caribbean office in Shanghai, China.

(3) They have no information on whether or when the luggage will be shipped back to me.

(4) They don't know why. And Guest Relations Dept cannot give me any other contact in Royal Caribbean.

In this period of 4 months since my luggage was lost, I have tried to contact the Royal Caribbean Luggage Support Dept and even the Royal Caribbean Corporate Office, by emails and letter mail. Royal Caribbean didn't even respond.

And Royal Caribbean Guest Relations cannot or will not give me any reason why they are not shipping back my lost luggage, even after 4 months since the luggage has been found.

So, the moral of my storey is: If you don't want to go through the major headache of losing your luggage with Royal Caribbean, take all your luggage yourself with you on disembarkation. Don't leave them out on the corridor outside your state room.

For me, 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean seem to be enough. Afterall, other cruise lines give me much better perks and customer service.

PS

Just in case this forum message catches the eye of Royal Caribbean, who may want to verify the authenticity of the storey, my "Reservation No." is 1155874.

Happy that you got your luggage back, still stand by my previous post.