Was She Treated Fairly?

This kind of stuff makes me angry. She made the choice not to go on the cruise but now demands money. Royal Caribbean is giving her more than adequate compensation but she still wants more. I used to work in risk management and had to deal with people like this all the time. Unfortunately the business usually gives in to their demands just to keep them quiet and then pass the costs onto regular customers who don't complain. Too many people think they are entitled to something every time something doesn't go the way they thing it should.

Cannot stand self entitled cry baby whiners. Royal Caribbean caved because of negative publicity, gave her more than she is entitled to and she wants more. I am only sorry she is having children, as she is likely to teach them this same behavior. On the plus side, since she will never cruise, she won't impact our fun!

She was treated more than fairly. This is what travel insurance is for, if you don't buy the insurance then you have to suck it up if you cancel.

I'm also peeved that the cruise was a gift and she wants a refund instead of a voucher because she's not a cruise person. Give her parents the voucher instead, they paid for the cruise, she doesn't deserve jack s:eek:

I agree.......insurance is the answer. This would not have happened. Period. We never leave on a cruise without it. She has to take responsibility for that. After all, it's no one's fault that Zika Virus reared it's ugly head. It's not like RCI has been negligent in some way to cause the virus. It's unfortunate, but RCI has been fair to her, IMHO

As the article stated, this is the email that Royal Caribbean has been sending:

Royal Caribbean International is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We have been closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

Should you be pregnant and not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus, we will provide you with alternate itinerary options. This may include providing a future cruise credit valid for two years so that you may re-schedule your voyage for a later date, with no penalty.

The woman seems to have been unwilling to reschedule her cruise some time in the next two years, and Royal Caribbean, despite this policy, agreed to refund part of her payment. They refunded taxes, port fees, and a certain percentage of her cruise fare. They seem to have put the rest of the fare into a FCC (future cruise certificate).

This seems to have NOT mollified her.

THAT is ridiculous.

Did they go "above and beyond"? No, not really.

Did they do right by her? I think so.

Let her stew all she wants.

WOW...this was such a simple situation to resolve...OMG! just give her her money back....I have never understood why billion dollar companies are so petty with these sensitive situations...if this had of been handled correctly no one would have ever herd a word about this....the negative publicity that this news story has the potential of creating for RC totally outweighs the few thousand dollars they needed to refund her....OMG

This is were you need proper management in place...

I am not saying she is 100% correct, don't get me wrong but from a business/public relations point of view this has the potential of being blown way out of proportion and costing RC much much more.

She was treated more than fairly and RCI already went above and beyond with their offerings. After the News Story RCI should have just ignored her.

She should have taken proper insurance. Stories like this make me angry, as the cost will be passed to us all and we all have to pay for These peoples entitlement and savings in regards to the insurance.

As far as insurance goes........I am not so sure that it would have paid off in this instance. Those insurance companies are very good at wiggling out of paying.

While I agree with your comment, the News Story should then have been about her fighting with the insurance Company and the cruise line wouldn´t have played a role in there. Of Course in this case it would again have been a case of T&C´s of her insurance.

WOW...this was such a simple situation to resolve...OMG! just give her her money back....I have never understood why billion dollar companies are so petty with these sensitive situations...if this had of been handled correctly no one would have ever herd a word about this....the negative publicity that this news story has the potential of creating for RC totally outweighs the few thousand dollars they needed to refund her....OMG

This is were you need proper management in place...

I am not saying she is 100% correct, don't get me wrong but from a business/public relations point of view this has the potential of being blown way out of proportion and costing RC much much more.

Well my reaction to this Story was WOW as well. It was just a way different WOW than yours. I was thinking WOW what a stupid, over entitled, unreasonable Person this woman was and another WOW to how generous RCI reacted to her Claims while she still wasn´t satisfied.

I don´t even think the Story is bad Publicity for RCI. Few People like you will think it´s bad Publicity, many reasonable People reading the Story will see what a great deal RCI offered and how over the top fairly this woman was treated. So to many this will be actually Advertising RCI.

I admit though I´m unhappy with RCI in this case as well. IMO they simply gave her way too much already.:mad:

Well my reaction to this Story was WOW as well. It was just a way different WOW than yours. I was thinking WOW what a stupid, over entitled, unreasonable Person this woman was and another WOW to how generous RCI reacted to her Claims while she still wasn´t satisfied.

I don´t even think the Story is bad Publicity for RCI. Few People like you will think it´s bad Publicity, many reasonable People reading the Story will see what a great deal RCI offered and how over the top fairly this woman was treated. So to many this will be actually Advertising RCI.

I admit though I´m unhappy with RCI in this case as well. IMO they simply gave her way too much already.:mad:

I guess anyone who doesn't agree with your POV is not reasonable...OK

Edited by robandana

I guess anyone who doesn't agree with your POV is not reasonable...OK

You can guess as much as you want, I won´t argue your guessing in any way, as I can´t Change your opinion, just as you can´t Change mine.

As far as insurance goes........I am not so sure that it would have paid off in this instance. Those insurance companies are very good at wiggling out of paying.

An acquaintance of mine decided not to go on her cruise because of Zika. She is an older woman (80) and has some sort of medical issue and falls into some Zika risk group. Her cruise line (not RCCL) refunded a portion of her cruise fare. She had insurance but insurance has so far declined to pay her for other losses such as pre paid hotel, air fare and the remaining portion of what was not refunded by the cruise line because they will not cover (pay) if someone has a fear they might catch something. Her cruise line had not issued the type of letter RCCL sent regarding Zika. I traveled in March, had the email from RCCL regarding Zika and sent it to her with hopes that it might help her out.

I was amazed that insurance denied her claim. There could be more to her story, but I did not ask.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

You can guess as much as you want, I won´t argue your guessing in any way, as I can´t Change your opinion, just as you can´t Change mine.

Not sure this is the place to try to change anyone's opinion....

I guess what got me about it is she didn't pay for the cruise in the first place!! It was a gift from her parents to do a family cruise, the parents ARE cruise people... Why not take the 4 vouchers and give it to her parents to enjoy!

Too many "entailed" people out there looking for a handout!

I'm also peeved that the cruise was a gift and she wants a refund instead of a voucher because she's not a cruise person. Give her parents the voucher instead, they paid for the cruise, she doesn't deserve jack s:eek:

This is what I don't get. If it was a gift, that means she didn't pay anything! SHE shouldn't get anything; her parents (who it appears from the article paid for the cruise) should be the ones getting whatever compensation there is.

Ridiculous!! (Not as ridiculous as the woman who clearly doesn't know how to say "Light ice, please!" Or "No ice, please!" Or "Can you take some of this ice out, please?" at Starbucks and wants to sue them for "Too much ice"...but still ridiculous.)

I guess what got me about it is she didn't pay for the cruise in the first place!! It was a gift from her parents to do a family cruise, the parents ARE cruise people... Why not take the 4 vouchers and give it to her parents to enjoy!

Great minds! :) I'd started the same thing (see my post) at about the same time, but had to go find what my cat had shoved off the counter mid-posting. :)

I really like how at first she says that she is not a cruise person so the voucher would be no good to her. However, after RCI caved in & refunded her fare & gave her the voucher, she isn't satisfied that the voucher doesn't cover the entire cost of a cruise.

IMO...the refund should go onto the credit card that paid for the cruise. If this was my daughter behaving so badly she would never see a cent of it. There are millions of people that cannot even dream of a cruise vacation and this person will never be satisfied.

Issue the refund, but credit the instrument (cc) that her parents used to pay for the cruise. Don't refund directly to her.

I agree the woman was treated fairly and given more than she was entitiled to given their strict cancellation policies.

However RC could have avoided negative publicity and possibly gotten some good publicity by crediting it all back to the original form of payment and also the woman could have avoided being criticized on CC and called a whiner among other things.

She also could have avoided people looking up her facebook page.

Really?

I get the males not understanding, but are you females all that old that you don't remember what it's like to be pregnant?

Let's give the lady a break for that reason alone.

I think the OP just wanted opinions on this but I doubt they wanted to tear this woman apart. At least I hope not.

She was treated fairly she just didn't like being told No.

I understand why pregnant women would choose not to travel to the Caribbean or South America. So RCL offered her another itinerary.

Not to get much off subject but she lives in FL is Zika not in FL? I thought it was all over from Ohio South.....maybe I am wrong.