Holland is making changes to shops and photo centers

KirkNC

Thanks for the article!

I had seen or heard rumors about this, and found it curious that the words "Oprah" or "Zuiderdam" were not mentioned in the article?? :confused:

Thanks for the article!

I had seen or heard rumors about this, and found it curious that the words "Oprah" or "Zuiderdam" were not mentioned in the article?? :confused:

Neither were several other HAL ships, i.e. Amsterdam.

Thank you for providing the link to this article. We will be on the Veendam next month and I'll be interested in seeing the changes.

Regarding the showcasing of local artisans and their products, I hope the prices will not be ridiculous. On the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in January, there were several pieces of Panama embroidery for sale. The prices were many times over what was available onshore.

It is understandable that HAL wants to make a profit but there is a difference between profiteering and gouging. IMO

I saw the new photo shop on the Hal website yesterday. Much of it looked a bit old fashioned. I laughed when I saw peoples personal photos printed on mugs, coasters etc.

I hope that it is a huge success and increases Carnival stock prices.

Sandra

I think this is a positive move. Maybe the photo shop will stock 35 mm film for those of us who still prefer to use such from time to time?

My goodness, there is at least one generation who has never seen 35mm film :). But perhaps they will stock it and sell a roll at a bargain duty-free price of $50 per roll.

Hank

Thank you for providing the link to this article. We will be on the Veendam next month and I'll be interested in seeing the changes.

Regarding the showcasing of local artisans and their products, I hope the prices will not be ridiculous. On the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise in January, there were several pieces of Panama embroidery for sale. The prices were many times over what was available onshore.

It is understandable that HAL wants to make a profit but there is a difference between profiteering and gouging. IMO

I f you are referring to the embroidery from San Blas Islands when you mention Panama embreoidery... It is costly but very pretty work. I seem to think that Saks Fifdth Avenue used to sell some. I boufhgt a bout 4 pieces when in gthe San Blas Islands and iit was on ghe somewhagt costly side but when you see the women who doi t, their litle children and speak with them as they sell it to us....and the rather rustic conditions, many of us felt it well wort h the price,,,,,,,, if I am speaking of the same thing as you.

Only took 3 posts for someone to mention O*r*h. LOL

How much did you spend on “O” Wear on your Cruise?

I spent Zero Dollars on “O” Wear but also spent Zero Dollars on Tommy Bahama Wear when that took over the Gift Shop a few years ago!

I’m hoping both are long gone and this change will be a very successful one that brings many of us back in and wanting to spend!

My goodness, there is at least one generation who has never seen 35mm film :). But perhaps they will stock it and sell a roll at a bargain duty-free price of $50 per roll.

Hank

Because my digital pocket camera was malfunctioning at times during my Christmas/New Year's Zaandam cruise this year and I only had two rolls of 35 mm film with me for that camera, I asked the Photo Shop Manager if he had any 35 mm film to sell. Well, after his chuckles stopped, he congratulated me on still wanting to use a 35 mm camera. But, no such film was in stock. "No one wants it anymore." (Except me.)

My Olympus 35 mm camera (purchased in 1996) provides far superior photos than my Canon point and shoot.

I think this is a positive move. Maybe the photo shop will stock 35 mm film for those of us who still prefer to use such from time to time?

I wasn't aware you could still purchase those bad boy 35mm rolls ;)of film

15722657-a-roll-of-photographic-film-on-a-white-background-.jpg

How much did you spend on “O” Wear on your Cruise?

I spent Zero Dollars on “O” Wear but also spent Zero Dollars on Tommy Bahama Wear when that took over the Gift Shop a few years ago!

I’m hoping both are long gone and this change will be a very successful one that brings many of us back in and wanting to spend!

(bold is mine) You may get your wish. On the HAL website, the O page says the "O-inspired activities" will be featured on a lot of cruises "through December 2018." So maybe that's the end of the contract?

The shops definitely need an overhaul. They were pretty pathetic on the Oosterdam, last week, I suppose partly because the ship is going to dry dock after its current cruise but I have noticed on recent HAL ships, the merchandise is not as good as it was 5 years ago. And do they really have to carry all that jewelry? I would say 2/3 of the shops were jewelry oriented.

The shops definitely need an overhaul. They were pretty pathetic on the Oosterdam, last week, I suppose partly because the ship is going to dry dock after its current cruise but I have noticed on recent HAL ships, the merchandise is not as good as it was 5 years ago. And do they really have to carry all that jewelry? I would say 2/3 of the shops were jewelry oriented.

I agree about the jewelry. And the stores are usually empty.

I'm surprised that the photo center they're adding allows you to use your own pictures to make mugs, books, etc. It sounds like the kind of thing you can do through websites like ophoto, walgreens, cvs. I make photo books of my trips, but I'm not going to spend vacation time doing them. I'll do them when I get home, on a system I'm used to.

HAL might be a victim of their own success with repeaters. On most of our HAL cruises, a large majority of the passengers are well "seasoned" in terms of cruise/travel experience and age. Perhaps we could say that most of us "were not born yesterday" (pun intended). DW, who sometimes enjoys shopping, does not normally even go into cruise ship shops...much less buy anything. There is just no reason. Anything decent can generally be bought at home (or online) for less money...and its easy to get handle both returns or needed service after the sale. I used to buy some higher end booze on our cruises, but now the prices are generally as high or higher then the same stuff costs at home.

As to the ship;s photographers....we think lines like Oceania and Viking have it right....they have no photographers. I assume that there are some folks who like the photo stuff (we did when we were young and photos were reasonably priced) but now...we view the photographers as just annoying and wish they would stay out of our way. If we want to have pictures printed from our digital photos....its easy (and less expensive) to do it once home.

Hank

It is interesting they made no mention of the "O" connection, particularly since they said this was rolled out first on the Veendam - which now has a huge sign "Oprah's Favorite Things".

Have their learned already this "O" name brand marketing has not been the universally accepted sales enhancement change they had hoped it would be? Additionally, they only had a few genuine Cuban made articles in one of the shops - very expensive Cuban logo recycled plastic bags and Cuban logo shot glasses. Promise and performance have not yet hit its stride in the Veendam shop makeover. Plenty of "O", but weak on the local.

This is from the CCL 2017 Annual Report:

These executions nicely complement the many successful marketing, public relations and guest experience enhancement efforts of each of our nine world leading cruise brands.

Other successful public relations efforts include the premiere of the major motion picture “The Greatest Showman” on Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 as well as Holland America Line’s featured cruises in partnership with O Magazine, including Oprah’s own voyage onEurodam in Alaska.

In the UK, a reality-based television series called “The Cruise” was filmed onboard RegalPrincess, and “Battlechefs,” was filmed onboard P&O Cruises’ Britannia. And, in Italy, our third commercial forour Costa Cruises brand featuring Shakira launched Christmas Day, continuing that highly successful marketing campaign.

Again, these efforts are all engineered to reach audiences multiple times in multiple ways to help drive demand for our brands, ultimately leading to higher yields.