No More Twinings English Breakfast Tea

Griller

We're on Pacific Princess right now , on a 29 day cruise and were unhappy to find out that there are no more Twinings teabags on the ship.

Its probably totally unimportant to other cruisers but British, Irish, Australian etc passengers have relied on these for a strong satisfying cuppa.

The Food and Bevereage Manager says there will never be any more Twinings, the ship has been sent some offbrand replacement with a strange taste. Totally unlike the excellent Twinings, but no doubt a fraction cheaper.

So bring your own teabags if you want a decent cup of tea on Princess.

Maybe passengers on other ships in the fleet can post whether Twinings have disappeared from the other ships?

There are also now very few Bigelows tea bags on Pacific P. That's a decent US make more or less as good as Twinings. F and B guy said they also won't be available when existing stocks run out.

We're on Pacific Princess right now , on a 29 day cruise and were unhappy to find out that there are no more Twinings teabags on the ship.

Its probably totally unimportant to other cruisers but British, Irish, Australian etc passengers have relied on these for a strong satisfying cuppa.

The Food and Bevereage Manager says there will never be any more Twinings, the ship has been sent some offbrand replacement with a strange taste. Totally unlike the excellent Twinings, but no doubt a fraction cheaper.

Maybe passengers on other ships in the fleet can post whether Twinings have disappeared from the other ships?

There are also now very few Bigelows tea bags on Pacific P. That's a decent US make more or less as good as Twinings. F and B guy said they also won't be available when existing stocks run out.

Very many thanks for that information.

We were already planning to take some Yellow label EB with us to use in our hotel in Key West, but will now probably take a few more to use in our stateroom on or CB cruise. (Yup I know I can't have a kettle, but when we order early morning and/or afternoon tea from room service we will simply use our own tea).

I don't drink tea - or coffee. And I have no idea of Twinings is good bad or indifferent. Perhaps they have nice teas at the IC? Anyway, I do get concerned about this product and that product and all the dumbing down apparently in quality. Personally, I would rather pay to keep up the quality in food and drink according to market price changes, than pay the same or lower and get poor substitutes. It makes me nervous that Princess just isn't going to measure up soon, and we enjoy them so much. We'll get to Elite in another year or so and then perhaps not want to go again.

It seems the way of the world as a lot of consumer products are less than they once were in size or quality in order to charge similar price. Am I the only one not willing to keep up with inflation and pay more to keep quality?

Very well put Steelers36. The visible removal of upscale brands previously provided is not a good thing. And like you Steelers36 we enjoy and feel very comfortable on Princess and would rather pay more for the cruise than see the product quality degraded. We lately have done mostly Regal and Royal so interesting to see if this change is fleet wide

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Twining's & Wedgewood are the teas aboard Cunard, which we always enjoyed. I find Bigelow to be somewhat inferior to Twining's.

I don't drink tea - or coffee. And I have no idea of Twinings is good bad or indifferent. Perhaps they have nice teas at the IC? Anyway, I do get concerned about this product and that product and all the dumbing down apparently in quality. Personally, I would rather pay to keep up the quality in food and drink according to market price changes, than pay the same or lower and get poor substitutes. It makes me nervous that Princess just isn't going to measure up soon, and we enjoy them so much. We'll get to Elite in another year or so and then perhaps not want to go again.

It seems the way of the world as a lot of consumer products are less than they once were in size or quality in order to charge similar price. Am I the only one not willing to keep up with inflation and pay more to keep quality?

It's like Yogurt. I love Yogurt & remember when standard size was 8oz. Only Noosa has that as their standard size. The others went to 6oz. then to 5.3oz. all the while increasing prices as they declined in size & frequently in quality as well. It will get to the point where I'll just bite the bullet & seldom buy it anymore.

I wonder what brand of tea they will use in the "formal" teas that are offered on Regal/Royal. They really can't think most of us will stand by & pay for Tetley or Lipton!

Oh dear, that's not good news. We only drink tea - preferably English Breakfast. Thanks for the heads up. So, 24 days x 12 tea bags = an extra carry on!!

Seems like every day Princess does something that means it's time to switch to a line like Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't drink tea - or coffee....... Anyway, I do get concerned about this product and that product and all the dumbing down apparently in quality. Personally, I would rather pay to keep up the quality in food and drink according to market price changes, than pay the same or lower and get poor substitutes. ......Am I the only one not willing to keep up with inflation and pay more to keep quality?

No, you are not. That's why after around37 Princess cruises we have moved over to Viking Ocean ships.

It's like Yogurt. I love Yogurt & remember when standard size was 8oz. Only Noosa has that as their standard size. The others went to 6oz. then to 5.3oz. all the while increasing prices as they declined in size & frequently in quality as well. It will get to the point where I'll just bite the bullet & seldom buy it anymore.

I think many commercial brands of yogurt are no better than overly sweet pudding these days.

On the Caribbean Princess in August, they did not have any mint tea in the dining room. We had a new coffee card, so I frequently got a mint tea bag from the International Café to take to dinner. On other nights, I drank chamomile.

I'll be bringing my own mint tea bags this weekend for our cruise on the Royal.

The dumbing down of Princess continues.

I left Celebrity for Oceania due to their cheapening product years ago. It continues, just this month, Celebrity eliminated grilled meat from their Aqua Spa Cafe, another significant cutback.

This Princess related cheapening tea thread is another example of the mass cruise lines ever cheapening the product.

It will continue to happen until long time customers, in particular, move their business to higher quality lines.

Oceania can cost a bit more, but the non-financial benefits are more than the extra $.

Many wonderful tea and coffee choices on Oceania Marina, you would be in heaven.

The dumbing down of Princess continues.....This Princess related cheapening tea thread is another example of the mass cruise lines ever cheapening the product. .....It will continue to happen until long time customers, in particular, move their business to higher quality lines....

IMHO, the "long time cruisers" demographic may be a lower priority to the mass market cruise lines, and they may not really care if we move our business elsewhere. We have seen much of what the mass market ship(s) have to offer, and we generally don't spend money on photos, "art auctions", specialty restaurants, on-board shopping, and we tend to bypass the ship land tours in favor of private bookings. On a profit/passenger basis I suspect they do much better with new cruisers. Lower the cruise fare as much as possible to get you aboard, even if it means cutting out much of what once was price included to get the basic fare low, and then start the per item charging once you have sailed. It's all about getting you on board before the real profit model begins. Hey, I'm okay with that as a stockholder, but have graduated beyond it for my cruising enjoyment. My wife and I enjoy the price include model, and in fact for "budget" travelers it may even be a better play since you know pretty much what the cost will be before boarding versus a cost-plus model.

We don't have a problem paying for what we use on board, kinda like the discount airlines like Allegiant.

Pick your seat - charge

carryon bag - charge

priority boarding - charge

coke/water - charge

don't use it, don't pay

We don't have a problem paying for what we use on board, kinda like the discount airlines like Allegiant.

Pick your seat - charge

carryon bag - charge

priority boarding - charge

coke/water - charge

don't use it, don't pay

While I don't disagree with you, voljeep, it has to be on board to use it.

Quite frankly, it is not a big deal to me as we always swap out the mini bar for a couple of coffee cards and the International Cafe carries a nice brand of tea with very hot water. It would be nice, though, to get a decent cup of tea in the Horizon Court with breakfast. Worst case, I bring my Irish breakfast tea with me. It weighs nothing and takes negligent space.

The change, if there is a change for savings sake, probably does not make much sense. Now, let us assume that a Twinings or Bigelow is twice the cost of another brand of tea that will require one to double up the bag to get a reasonably decent cup of tea. That would make the savings change a wash, no?