Bunk bed ladder + 7 year old = 6 stitches

Just off the Miracle last week and we had ourselves a fun little accident on the second night of the cruise. Little man was climbing down his bunk bed, missed the second rung and took a spill. Smacked the back of his head on the oval shaped end table they keep in the room and split it open. This was a very scary moment, as there was quite a bit of blood, and of course we are in the middle of the ocean. Called 911, and they rushed us down to deck A and stitched him up. No swimming for the rest of the cruise which was a bit of a downer.

We are very happy with the medical staff aboard the Miracle! Not so happy with the bunk bed ladder. Just curious, any one else out there find that the rungs are spaced too far for little kids? I measured them and they are just over 16 inches apart, while normal bunk bed ladders are just over 10". If you are sailing with little ones that are sleeping on a bunk, I would recommend you walk them through the art of getting up and down to avoid such an accident!

My kids grew up in bunk beds and never had a problem. I think I would have opted for a sofa pull out for a 6 year old. Even for an adult - which we've been there and done that, that bunk isn't the safest. This is a cabin I wouldn't have opted for with a child under 18 years. Sorry for the stitches...

Edited by elliair

Sounds like you handled the unfortunate accident well. I have thought that the ladder wasn't the safest. I, as an adult, have been in an upper bunk 4 times, and have never felt totally secure with that ladder. But I am extra careful. With kids, they tend to not always be so careful. We try to get a room with all beds on the floor if possible.

Edited by k2excursion

We don't have kids, therefore don't travel with kids, but it makes me wonder. Can that table be moved or is it fixed to the floor? I guess that doesn't really solve the problem, but may have prevented some stitches...

I think that would worry me as well to have a kid up in that top bunk. I would think maybe I would ask them to have me help them down when they want down and not do it by themselves if you must book one of those cabins? I don't know hindsight is always 20/20...

OP, glad your child is ok now, but sorry it put a damper on your cruise!

We've had them on Fantasy class ships 2 times before, but never had a problem. My now 6 year old sleeps on a top bunk every night, so he is used to it. We have the bunk beds with stairs, but he refuses to use them, opting to climb up every night. I am quite certain he probably got out of bed by jumping a few times.

Our seven year old sleeps on a bunk at home, so we didn't think twice about letting him claim the bunk on the ship. The 3 year old was on the couch below him. As for the table, it was pulled from our room when we got back from getting the stitches.

I always thought that the combination of a small cabin, many sharp edges, a moving ship on the open sea, bunk bed, small ladder, and children can be a recipe for disaster. I am surprised that there are not more accidents onboard ships due to bunk beds.

Consideration should be given to doing away with this arrangement and finding some type of alternative, perhaps larger cabins with more beds in them. I do know that this will cost the cruise line some money in lost revenue, but the safety of the passengers, especially children should be of paramount concern.

I always thought that the combination of a small cabin, many sharp edges, a moving ship on the open sea, bunk bed, small ladder, and children can be a recipe for disaster. I am surprised that there are not more accidents onboard ships due to bunk beds.

Consideration should be given to doing away with this arrangement and finding some type of alternative, perhaps larger cabins with more beds in them. I do know that this will cost the cruise line some money in lost revenue, but the safety of the passengers, especially children should be of paramount concern.

I'm not sure how the cruise line is at fault. Isn't it the parents responsibility? Aren't these types of rooms in a cheaper category? I mean we all wish the rooms were larger, but that's not realistic.

Accidents happen. Let's not put blame on anyone. Glad your little man is ok.

We had to use the ships doctor for the first time on our last cruise. An office visit was $129, which I have to say I was surprised it wasn't higher. He also got 4 different kinds of mess (husband sinus infection) and the bill was $189 total.

I'm not sure how the cruise line is at fault. Isn't it the parents responsibility? Aren't these types of rooms in a cheaper category? I mean we all wish the rooms were larger, but that's not realistic.

This is certainly not an issue with the cruise line, the parents, or the children being at fault. It was an accident. Accidents do happen. The question is there anyway to prevent or reduce accidents.

I feel that bunk beds for children on a moving cruise vessel is on risk that can be minimized. Instead of bunk beds, the cruise industry should consider bigger rooms with more beds and cots.

I also don't like the ladders on the Carnival bunks. The rungs are spaced farther apart than a regular bunk ladder.

We sailed Carnival with our grandkids, boy and girl, and they always fight for the bunk bed. On our first cruise we had to veto our grandson (6) from the top bunk for the same reason as the OP. He fell once getting out of bed but there was no injury.

On the next cruise we told the kids they would have to switch bunks each night so each could have the top bunk. That plan didn't work because the pullout couch that becomes the bottom bunk was TERRIBLY uncomfortable. When a six year old complains about the bed and ends up sleeping on the floor it must be uncomfortable. Grandma slept one night on the couch and after that our grandson slept with us.

I'm glad your son wasn't severely injured.

Take care,

Mike

Not really no more swimming for the rest of the trip. The standard is no extended dunking of the head (or area of the stitches) -

I've been an adult in the upper bunk and while I didn't have an issue with the rungs being too far apart, I personally felt the ladder was steep (meaning it didn't jut out enough). I got used to it, but my 2 friends laughed every time I'd come down off the bunk.

I don't think I've ever been in a cabin where I didn't reconfigure the furnishings that weren't nailed down!

Sorry to the OPs little man. :(

My 6 yo didn't have any problems with the ladders. Are they standard ladders or do they have different sizes on each ship?

On the ships we've been on, the Fantasy class have wooden ladders with wider rung to step on. Other ships have narrower (width of rung) metal ladders. The metal ladders hurt the soles of my feet.

To the poster suggesting bigger rooms with more beds...that option is available...book 2 rooms. The cost would be about the same if they were to somehow fit 4 beds in a room, best believe you will pay for the extra space. May as well book 2 rooms and get 2 bathrooms.

To the person suggesting these are only in lower category rooms...we use a bunk in the spa balcony so I don't think that is the case.

To the OP, we hated the ladder on our last cruise. Within a day or two, the 6 year old was getting on and off the bunk by sliding up and down on her belly to the bed below at the foot of the bunk.

Just off the Miracle last week and we had ourselves a fun little accident on the second night of the cruise. Little man was climbing down his bunk bed, missed the second rung and took a spill. Smacked the back of his head on the oval shaped end table they keep in the room and split it open. This was a very scary moment, as there was quite a bit of blood, and of course we are in the middle of the ocean. Called 911, and they rushed us down to deck A and stitched him up. No swimming for the rest of the cruise which was a bit of a downer.

We are very happy with the medical staff aboard the Miracle! Not so happy with the bunk bed ladder. Just curious, any one else out there find that the rungs are spaced too far for little kids? I measured them and they are just over 16 inches apart, while normal bunk bed ladders are just over 10". If you are sailing with little ones that are sleeping on a bunk, I would recommend you walk them through the art of getting up and down to avoid such an accident!

Bummer for sure. Glad to hear they are OK, and that medical took good care.

We always checked the paths and distances required for our young children, and made safety and use determinations based on their ability and the situations. Our kids handled the ladder, as most probably do, but the extra long gap between steps was noticeable at the onset to us.

In response to ragethjj23 saying it might have been because it was a cheaper category of cabin. They said they hadmis two kids and that was why one was below on sofa and one was in bunk. Last September we sailed with four people in Grand Suite and they had a sofa and a bunk for third and fourth guest. It was the same bunk as they have in every cabin. The price or category does not have anything to do about it. We are also glad the little one is ok.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

Edited by jandb6266
mispelled words