RCI Sick notice-Allure sailing tomorrow

Meem47

We are in Fort Lauderdale preparing to embark tomorrow on allire! My husband just said he was notified by RCI due to the ship needing extra cleaning due to gasteroenteritis illness that spread during this weeks cruise. My question is I have a compromised immune system and am now very worried. We've been on 2 cruises before but this is the first time we were notfiied. Always stay extra clean on the ships too. Has anyone experienced this? Worried if we should change our plans (we have travelers insurance).

Thanks!:confused::confused:

We are in Fort Lauderdale preparing to embark tomorrow on allire! My husband just said he was notified by RCI due to the ship needing extra cleaning due to gasteroenteritis illness that spread during this weeks cruise. My question is I have a compromised immune system and am now very worried. We've been on 2 cruises before but this is the first time we were notfiied. Always stay extra clean on the ships too. Has anyone experienced this? Worried if we should change our plans (we have travelers insurance).

Thanks!:confused::confused:

It will be very well sanitized.

If I were in your circumstances I would be somewhat concerned as well.

I have read that ships that have extra cleaning are less likely to harbor noro. I have also read that some ships seem to have several weeks of noro before it's contained.

I would certainly be extra vigilant and take extra precautions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a similar experience on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago. They took extra time to clean the ship. We also wiped our cabin down with sanitizer wipes and were very careful to ensure we used the hand sanitizer available around the ship. We had no problems and did not hear of anyone getting ill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Allure now. They have had staff cleaning the hand rails, etc all day. If no one had mentioned it then one would not think there was a problem. Lots of people at every venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jcg4550

On our first cruise we had to wait for a clean due to norovirus. The ship was late boarding to the point that all foreign guests were boarded first since immigration wanted to go home. My wife and I were the third and fourth passengers on. In the lift I spoke to one of the staff and they said the only people who get sick are those who do not pay attention to personal hygiene. They also said because the crew know how important this is it is mostly the passengers who get sick and not the crew. When I got back I looked at the report filed to the CDC and sure enough there had been hundreds of sick passengers and I think just two sick crew.

So, pay attention to hygiene and I think you'll be fine. The ship will have been sprayed down with disinfectant everywhere and this will go on for days. In the dead of night you'll be able to spot staff with sprayers doing the walls and so on.

Edited by MrYellowDuck

Also on the Allure now, we are fine, just make sure you wash your hands alot, limit your use of public bathrooms, use your knuckle on elevator buttons, use Purell, we also disinfect our cabin when we get in it . Remember there some some disgusting people on board with you, I was in a public restroom where someone came out of a stall and never washed their hands and walked out.

We are on Allure now as well. You would never really guess anything was going on by the number of people milling around. The dining room was full tonight and it seemed like every deck chair was occupied by the pool during the day. The crew is really sanitizing though and I noticed that before I heard about any sickness

The fact that they will be taking extra steps to sanitize the ship will mean it will be fine. I would not change plans for this.

I guess RCI sanitizes better than Princess.

There was an outbreak on the ship we were getting ready to go. We were delayed boarding until around 7pm so they could thoroughly sanitize the ship.

I tried to cancel but was told we'd lose all of our money.

People on Cruise Critic said the same thing you said. Don't worry the ship will be extra clean, don't worry.

On our cruise there were more reported cases than the previous week and the CDC ordered the ship back to port.

Our 7 day cruise turned into a 5 day cruise and we never made 1 port.

Boarding Allure in 2 weeks with some first time cruisers. Sure hope we have an uneventful cruise.

Bill

As others have said, practice vigilance. Here's what I always do on a ship, or in hotels, or public buildings:

Never press elevator buttons with my fingers (use knuckles)

Never hold on to the railings (a challenge for me, as I'm a klutz by nature)

Always sanitize our cabin with Lysol wipes

Try to never use public bathrooms (could be a challenge on such a large ship)

Use hand sanitizer often

Wash your hands a lot, and then wash them some more!

I'll be on Allure in two weeks, and hoping for a healthy cruise:)

I would be concerned if I were you, too. I recommend being extra vigilant because the trend tends to be that after the noro cruise and deep clean, the following cruise has a decline in noro but still an increased number of cases. Only use your bathroom, use hand sanitizer after touching the dinner menu, don't touch the railings, try to use the stairs, and sanitize your hands after going through the buffet line. One flaw in the cruise system is that they have everyone sanitize before going through the line, but then you see people licking their fingers while serving themselves, and then some

People don't think to sanitize after they've gone through the line, before eating. I hope you have a wonderfully healthy and fun cruise!! Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree with avoiding buffets... windjammer and the breakfast buffet in the main dining room.

When our ship had the Norovirus we still ate in the buffet but we did not get sick luckily.

When in the buffet there are no salt and pepper shakers on the table and the crew serves you when going through the buffet line so there are no utensils to be touching.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am pretty darn sure I know what my DH and I got norovirus from... we were young and inexperienced cruisers. We ordered room service one night, and ate it without washing our hands. At that time, we didn't realize that there was a big NV outbreak on the ship. We both got sick the next day :(. Since then we've been VERY careful about washing our hands, touching stuff, sanitizing...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great cruise..despite my obsessive cleanliness I did get sick. However I am so used to being sick every day with chronic disease, it wasn't too bad. Grateful!

Sent from my iPad using F

Edited by Meem47