Just off the Ruby

Sonicsmash214

This cruise was a lot different than previous cruises. A couple of notes:

1. Embarkation lunch was only for Club Class Dining; first time I've ever seen that.

2. 780 kids. WOW.

3. Norovirus on the second day, perhaps caused by the kids?

4. Extremely long lines to get on the tender and back to the ship. We got to Cabo at 1pm and it took over 2 hours to get off the ship. Coming back at ~7pm, the line for the tender wrapped around the block. Then, we waited another 30 minutes as tender operations were halted so they could move the ship closer (there were 2 other ships there earlier in the day: Carnival Miracle and HA Westerdam, and the Ruby was the farthest away)

5. Breakfast lines were extremely long. It stretched from the buffet, all the way to the pool outside. This was before the norovirus, and the norovirus made it even worse since they had to serve each person (no touching of anything, i.e. getting your own water, even ketchup at the grill). Crew didn't seem very happy having to do all the extra work.

Thanks for posting. They'd get an argument from me if they tried to exclude us from lunch in the dining room on embarkation day.

Seems like short cruises around the holidays attract a lot of families with children. We took back-to-back short cruises a couple of years ago the week after Christmas on the Caribbean Princess--lots and lots of children. But we were able to find plenty of places without them on the ship.

We too just disembarked Ruby today. We too were turned away from the dining room on embarkation day. This was new and more emphatic and military than the usual "steering" to the buffet on embarkation day. First, the patter clearly said that dining room lunch was "club class only" on embarkation day. We persevered, but, second, there were two all-caps signs outside the dining room that said "CLUB CLASS ONLY." And third, there was an employee with a clipboard by the door, checking names and stateroom numbers--the same procedure used for suites at Sabatini's breakfast. We were told very firmly that embarkation day dining room lunch was only for club class. Again, this was much more strident and emphatic than the old routine where they would claim that the dining room was closed and point you to the buffet.

This cruise was a lot different than previous cruises. A couple of notes:

1. Embarkation lunch was only for Club Class Dining; first time I've ever seen that.

You need to make your view on this known to Princess management.

You need to make your view on this known to Princess management.

And I bring the current statement on the Princess website stating we can go to the MDR during embarkation:

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special".

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

3. Norovirus on the second day, perhaps caused by the kids?

Could be, but we've seen many adults in the embarkation lines who clearly should not have been allowed to board as they were obviously ill. Then again in the buffet area wiping their noses with their hands and then using a serving spoon that everyone else uses. Yuck! shame on them.

We make a game of it now in the embarkation lines; try to spot the sickos to avoid onboard. :p

And I bring the current statement on the Princess website stating we can go to the MDR during embarkation:

"Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special".

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

Frank if this is the future of things to come then we will eventually see a change in the wording on the Princess website. For those that look forward to this perk I hope it doesn't happen.

Not being able to go the MDR on embarkation day for lunch pretty much sucks!! We have always looked forward to having lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, a nice peaceful lunch, served by the wait staff. We absolutely DETEST!!! The buffet, to crowded, we try to avoid it at all costs, it’s just not our thing. I’m not too impressed with the IC, I’d have to rate it at just OK. I don’t think we’d ever get a Mini suite, we just don’t spend enough time in the room to justify it.

Frank if this is the future of things to come then we will eventually see a change in the wording on the Princess website. For those that look forward to this perk I hope it doesn't happen.

Yes Joe, their wording may eventually change but until then I fully expect a business to honor their written statements.

Sometimes denying passengers a MDR lunch during embarkation has been a recurring problem. I understand that such promotional statements are not contractually binding however when a business touts something but doesn't provide it then I'm less likely to patronize any company.

Hopefully it isn't implemented fleetwide & I understand their desire to generate additional income with Club Class. Paying for additional benefits is understandable; taking away existing benefits for other passengers is not good business. :(

Hopefully it isn't implemented fleetwide & I understand their desire to generate additional income with Club Class. Paying for additional benefits is understandable; taking away existing benefits for other passengers is not good business. :(

I can't imagine that Club Class is going to fill the dining room at lunch. One consequence of this will be more regulars resenting the Club Class diners. This smacks of snobbery--making sure Club Class people don't have to look at the unwashed steerage while they enjoy their exclusive (nearly empty) dining room for lunch. As usual, Princess acts first, thinks later. :mad:

(And before anyone starts braying about how this is not a class thing and they paid for it and blah blah, the point is that Princess is, as Frank says, taking away an existing benefit from the regular customers.)

I can't imagine that Club Class is going to fill the dining room at lunch. One consequence of this will be more regulars resenting the Club Class diners. This smacks of snobbery--making sure Club Class people don't have to look at the unwashed steerage while they enjoy their exclusive (nearly empty) dining room for lunch. As usual, Princess acts first, thinks later. :mad:

(And before anyone starts braying about how this is not a class thing and they paid for it and blah blah, the point is that Princess is, as Frank says, taking away an existing benefit from the regular customers.)

This is so true. Suite passengers having breakfast in Sabatini's is one thing because we steerage passengers never get breakfast there anyway.

Taking away our embarkation day lunch in the main dining room is just wrong. What's next? Will club class passengers get reserved loungers by the pool and special seating for the show?

I'm irked beyond belief. :mad: While I wouldn't make a scene at the door, I would certainly address it with the Circle Hostess and at the MTP luncheon.

Taking away our embarkation day lunch in the main dining room is just wrong. What's next? Will club class passengers get reserved loungers by the pool and special seating for the show?

I suspect that those with an over inflated sense of entitlement will be demanding those "perks" sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

One of the many reasons I've never sailed Cunard is what to me is a 2-class system & I've never felt that way on Princess...until now. :(

The extra benefits suite passengers pay to receive hasn't affected other passengers but CC is already affecting all passengers. Some of their poorly thought out changes amaze me such as the Regal's inaugural cruise charging $10 for Alfredo's which was quickly rescinded for not informing passengers in advance that they'd be charged for their "free" meal.

Not all passengers are aware of the MDR embarkation day lunch & Princess always discourages passengers from enjoying this perk they promise by directing passengers to the overcrowded buffet. The MDR lunch has never been crowded on any of our cruises & they could still accommodate CC & other passengers.

Could be, but we've seen many adults in the embarkation lines who clearly should not have been allowed to board as they were obviously ill. Then again in the buffet area wiping their noses with their hands and then using a serving spoon that everyone else uses. Yuck! shame on them.

We make a game of it now in the embarkation lines; try to spot the sickos to avoid onboard. :p

But those sound like people with respiratory illnesses, not Noro. We were on the cruise and avoided the HC for the entire cruise - I'm happy that we did.

On another thread here on CC someone who was on Ruby posted the MDR was only open for lunch to those in Club Class but it was only to everyone for lunch on At Sea days.

We boarded too late for lunch in the MDR, so I can't speak to what happened then. I have a feeling that Ruby is still adjusting to the Club Class - this was only the second sailing for which they offered it, and we noticed a couple of things that didn't go as advertised, including no half bottle of red and white wine (we got the suite setup double because we're Elite, so no complaints there) and no terrycloth bathrobes (our steward got us some, but said that they were discontinuing them - perhaps for a new model?).

Club Class has a separate entrance, on the starboard side of the Da Vinci dining room. There was indeed a hostess with a clipboard who made sure that everybody going in had paid for it. The area was reserved for CC at every meal where the main dining room was open - breakfast, dinner and lunch on sea days only - no lunch if the MDR was closed. The menu is identical to the regular one, except for the cover, and the headwaiter cooked one special dish every night. I didn't notice that the regular items were any hotter, more flavorful or otherwise any better than what we've had before.

We were in a full suite and greatly enjoyed the dining experience. However, we also noticed that the regular Anytime line sometimes stretched to Guest Services, and I don't see how Princess can keep that up in the long run. CC guests are guaranteed the table of their choice whenever they walk in, with the result that there were a lot of empty tables to make sure it happens. I'd say that there were 40 tables ranging from 2 to 8 in size, and we never saw more than half of them full at any given time.

My suggestion would be for Princess to take over the Share space for Club Class. I can't imagine that they are making loads of money on that restaurant, and putting the "exclusive" dining room there would give much-needed space back to accommodate people better. And there would be less resentment of the exclusive space if people weren't having to see all of the empty tables that they can't use. Just a suggestion...

Thanks 'critterchick' for sharing your dining experiences in the DaVinci AT dining room.

With an estimated 40 tables being reserved for CC & suite passengers and half of them being empty that's not a good utilization of the dining room. I've never experienced AT lines stretching to the PSD in the atrium & apparently that's a result of the new CC dining room system. :(

I've always been skeptical about why passengers are allowed to make AT reservations but maybe making that only for CC/suite passengers in a smaller section of the AT dining room would be a better usage of MDR space.

Using Share for CC/suite passengers may be an option on the Ruby & Emerald (Sun?) but not on other ships.

Hopefully they'll work through these problems to keep all passengers happy & not just CC/suite passengers.

Club Class has a separate entrance, on the starboard side of the Da Vinci dining room. There was indeed a hostess with a clipboard who made sure that everybody going in had paid for it. The area was reserved for CC at every meal where the main dining room was open - breakfast, dinner and lunch on sea days only - no lunch if the MDR was closed. The menu is identical to the regular one, except for the cover, and the headwaiter cooked one special dish every night. I didn't notice that the regular items were any hotter, more flavorful or otherwise any better than what we've had before.

Fascinating. So the Club Class menu is the same as the regular menu? Except that the HW will make a pasta dish or something on an evening? Yep. Sounds like it's worth every penny of the extra $$$ to me. (Not.)

We were in a full suite and greatly enjoyed the dining experience. However, we also noticed that the regular Anytime line sometimes stretched to Guest Services, and I don't see how Princess can keep that up in the long run. CC guests are guaranteed the table of their choice whenever they walk in, with the result that there were a lot of empty tables to make sure it happens. I'd say that there were 40 tables ranging from 2 to 8 in size, and we never saw more than half of them full at any given time.

This sound like exactly what the ATD diners were worried about. Empty tables and long lines.

My suggestion would be for Princess to take over the Share space for Club Class. I can't imagine that they are making loads of money on that restaurant, and putting the "exclusive" dining room there would give much-needed space back to accommodate people better. And there would be less resentment of the exclusive space if people weren't having to see all of the empty tables that they can't use. Just a suggestion...

I wouldn't disagree, but they doubtless have some long contract with Stone they need to honor. Perhaps if enough people discover that Club Class menus are the same as the regular MDR, they will start booking SHARE more often. Is there a method to Princess' madness?

One question? Is the Club Class section roped off with any physical barrier from the regular MDR?

But those sound like people with respiratory illnesses, not Noro. We were on the cruise and avoided the HC for the entire cruise - I'm happy that we did.

We boarded too late for lunch in the MDR, so I can't speak to what happened then. I have a feeling that Ruby is still adjusting to the Club Class - this was only the second sailing for which they offered it, and we noticed a couple of things that didn't go as advertised, including no half bottle of red and white wine (we got the suite setup double because we're Elite, so no complaints there) and no terrycloth bathrobes (our steward got us some, but said that they were discontinuing them - perhaps for a new model?).

Wow :confused:

I never gave the CC scheme a second thought until your post, IMO this has yet another PR disaster for Princess written all over it.

Taking access from current loyal Princess customers and repackaging it to sell to future customers will be a game changer for a lot of current LOYAL Princess clients, including me

Srpilo